Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

troublesome snails in tropical fish tank

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by snodhutch, May 17, 2009.

1. snodhutch

snodhutch PetForums Newbie

Can someone please help me. I have a serious snail problem in my tropical fish tank, sometimes the glass is so obscured I can't see my fish clearly. I have tried anti snail which works temporarily and I have a clown loach who is supposed to eat the blasted things, I also replace a third of the water every week and syphon off as many as I can but nothing seems to be working. I would be grateful for any help as this problem is spoiling my fish keeping experience

2. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

So you have a snail problem do you? :eek:

Remember that everything must have source of food if it is to survive, however you appear to be cleaning the tank properly so there shouldn't be any gunk or uneaten food left. Do you have any live plants in your tank or have you added any recently? Live plants are usually the starting point for snail problems as they offer a 'happy breeding ground' for the snails. You may have seen small, clear sacks on the aquarium glass, these are the eggs sacs.

What I would do is use a bit of elbow grease and remove as many snails as possible by hand, also crush any egg sacks you can find. This isn't going to sort the problem out completely however it will give you a better footing.

If this doesn't work then it may be a case of stripping down the tank and zapping the little termites! :ihih:

#2 Chillinator, May 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
  3. penelopedarcy

penelopedarcy PetForums Junior

Hi snodhutch, this article Snails: Friend or Foe in the Aquarium article might give you another perspective on snails.

also check out the section on how to keep snails in check. i'm sure you'll find it useful. ;)

4. Superpettoysrus.com

Superpettoysrus.com PetForums Senior

Yeah im having the same problem with my tank....i remember a thread on here a few month back and i only had a couple of the little bliters at the time and i thought they was rather cute....till they multiplied several hundred times and now my tank is covered with the things...gggggrrrrrr

5. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

A good preventative measure is to dip any live plants in a weak solution of Potassium permanganate. However be very careful as it will burn through anything, including clothes and skin, so don't blame me if you make a huge hole in your favourite T-shirt. :eek:

6. penelopedarcy

anyone ever tried assassin snails? :)

@pleccy - doesn't salt water do the same job? :)

7. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

It can, however it will also kill the plants if you leave them in for too long.

#7 Chillinator, May 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2009
  8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Glad i'm not the only one with a snail problem! I bought live plants then they started appearing.

My wee boy is good at telling me ''mummy theres a snail on the tank/plant/bridge'' and we get them out.

I have also tried the anti snail but I am thinking about just stripping down my tank and getting new gravel they just keep appearing! :(

x

9. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Don't bother with commercial anti-snail products, they rarely work and some are so ineffective the only thing they will do is stain the water. I've just posted an article on snails which I hope might be of some help... Snails

10. jennismortal

jennismortal PetForums Newbie

Yep,The usual suspects for them arriving in the first place is on plants newly introduced to your tank- i hope this seem likely to you.You may have seen small, clear sacks on the aquarium glass, these are the eggs sacs.

11. Superpettoysrus.com

Superpettoysrus.com PetForums Senior

i now have literally 20 or 30 of the dam things in my tank and have not got the heart to throw them out.....think im gonna have to toughen up rnt i

12. penelopedarcy

hehe you do! get them out now... before it's too late...:eek:

13. purplepawstore

purplepawstore PetForums Member

Last year we had a small fish tank and a few months after getting some new plants we had hundreds of snails! We tried the anti-snail remedies but they still kept reproducing, it was a nightmare! In the end we got a new fish tank as we were planning to get a larger tank anyway.

We are now so paranoid about snails and have our old smaller tank as a quarantine tank for new plants!

14. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Hi Everyone,

A couple of months ago I had a real snail problem in my 2 4ft tanks. I was advised to get a Botia Striata for each tank. So off I went in search of a couple. I found some in my LFS and also got a Pakistani one too.

Amazingly after a couple of days there was a big reduction in the little blighters and after a week the tanks were clear. :)

They have kept them completely under control now and live happily with the other fish.

My only problem now is in my fry tank which is over run with them and I don't want to risk putting one in there or putting chemicals in. :(

15. purplepawstore

purplepawstore PetForums Member

I'll definately keep Botia Striata in mind in case we ever have more snail trouble!

16. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Botiine loaches will work in many cases, however when using them for snail control it is important that you don't feed the fish. Not only will uneaten food become a food source for the snails, but if the loaches realize that there is other food on the menu then they will ignore the snails.

If you have a fry tank you could try placing a large chunk of cucumber into the aquarium, snails go absolutely wild for it. All you have to do then is wait for the snails to occupy the cucumber and remove it.

17. xXhayleyroxX

xXhayleyroxX PetForums Senior

this all sounds really harsh, i'm sure snails don't obscure vision of the tank :confused:
    in fact snails EAT algae which makes your tank cloudy

i have two tanks, one with newts and one with tropical fish, and both have snails in, ramshorn snails in the newts and apple snails in the tropical; and neither have caused problems. Explain a bit more??
    x
    xx

18. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Thanks Luke I will definatly try the cucumber trick.

Regarding the vision Hayley, there absolutly hundreds in this little fry tank and beleive me it does make it look very unsightly. After a few hours of the light off the glass is completely covered and whilst I agree with you about a few being helpful in the tank the amount that is in there is now out of control.

Have even considered removing all the gravel from the fry tank and having it bear.

About a month or so ago I removed all the fry into one of the large tanks and put the botia in the frytank and he did a remarkable job of clearing up but obviously there were a lot of eggs still left. I think it will be too much of a risk putting him back in with the mollie fry??? What do you think?

19. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Snail populations can explode to biblical proportions, and while small numbers are appreciated, a large colony of them can start to cause damage to aquatic plants. Another species of snail which is actually one of the most common is the Wandering snail (Lymeaea ovata peregrai), these can secrete a toxin which can cause the fish to regurgitate food and result in death.

20. xXhayleyroxX

xXhayleyroxX PetForums Senior

why not pick them out , put them in a bucket and put them in a local pond haha
    at least it's not killing them...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice