Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Trouble with bridle!

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by AmyLeanne92, Feb 21, 2012.

1. AmyLeanne92

AmyLeanne92 PetForums Newbie

I have a lovely 3 year old pony, and recently I've had difficulty putting his bridle one, it's not the issue of the bit going in his mouth, its getting the bridle near his face that seems to be the issue, he shakes his head and tries to walk forward when you bring the bridle towards his face, but, tonight he started striking out his front legs, He is broken to ride and when his bridle is finally on he is fine and doesn't pick up a fuss? Any ideas, or tips to make putting his bridle on any easier? He's only a baby so i don't want to be getting into a fight with him!

2. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

It could be that he fears his ears will be pinched. You could try loosening the headpiece so that you don't have to move his ears to pull it over, then tighten it up once it's on.

3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

One of the most common (and overlooked) issues with horses is the correct fitting of head collars and bridles and the main problem is the head piece and browband.

If either or both are too small for the horse it can really irritate and hurt a horse due to pinching of the nerves at the bottom of the ears.

Also at this age a horse is still teething, so do not overlook the possibility of discomfort in the mouth.

4. AmyLeanne92

Thankyou for the advice, i just find it a little strange as he will have his headcollor on without a problem, its just when it comes to putting your hand around his head to bring the bridle towards him he starts shaking his head, as soon as he accepts that the bridle is near his face he will open his mouth for his bit to go in straight away and its not a problem, I'm not sure wheter he may of had a bad experience when he was broken or with his previous owner, but like i said, once his bridle is on he's absolutely fine, just a little strange, or part of me is wondering wheter he is just taking the mick and trying to get out of work and once his bridle is on he feels like he has been defeated? Any more advice would be extremely appreciated! :)

5. AmyLeanne92

I will definately check over his bridle when i go up later too, see if it could be pinching him.

6. emmaluvsmango

emmaluvsmango PetForums Junior

I had exactly the same problem with my 3 year old, he even went as far as walking to the back of the stable, after having his bit checked for suitability by the dentist, I got him a better fitting bridle, he is somewhere between pony and cob size genrally but his head is very wide, got him a lovely bridle and the issues have gone.

I understand it may not be the bridle but id check that out first, bear in mind a habit may have been formed so it may be that.

Clicker training may be something you can use to help him, or go back to basics and brush your bit with something nice like apple sauce :) you must form a positive association with the bridle

7. AmyLeanne92

It's such a pain, but went to put his bridle on yesterday he messed around for a couple of minutes and he was fine! Usually takes us about 10-15 mins to get it on, so he's definately improving! Either that, or he fancied being ridden (which i doubt haha) Thankyou for all the advice, fingers crossed he gets better and better each time :) I've attached a picture of us from yesterday, my stirrups are long still don't want to put them short with him still being a baby as i never know what he's going to do next! But he was an excellent boy x

Attached Files:

• 071.jpg
      071.jpg
      File size:
      143.8 KB
      Views:
  8. samhill

samhill PetForums Newbie

according to me your pony is to much small you should train it in the beginner way and that will learn slow and steady . :ciappa:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice