Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Trouble with basic commands

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ashelia, Jun 10, 2017.

1. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

I've been trying to teach my puppy the basics ever since I got her 7 weeks ago, however recently I've ran into some problems. A lot of the time now I'll get her to sit but then she'll stay in her sit or then lay down and I can't get her back up to practice a few more repetitions, I can't even lure her up with her favourite treats, which are small pieces of cheese, hotdog or real chicken, I'll put it right by her nose but she'll either ignore it or snap at it but wont follow as I slowly try to lure her up. Even when I move several feet away to entice her up she wont budge.

I'm using a clicker and she's now 14 weeks old and I still haven't been able to properly teach her these basic commands, is there something I'm doing wrong? Or can I do something else to get her to move so we can practice these commands? I try and be as enthusiastic as I can but it doesn't seem to help.

EDIT: To mention the only thing that has worked is tossing a treat away from her, she'll get up to go get it, but I don't know if this is a good thing to do?

#1 ashelia, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

How long are your training sessions? Where do you reward her for the sit? How long are you asking her to maintain the position?

Maybe you are expecting too much from her ....

ouesi likes this.
  3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Don't ask for repetitions . It only confuses the dog about what you want they don't know if you want them to sit or get up again, what the criteria for succeeding is. Do something once, then something different. You can go back to the first thing later.

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

These links may be useful ... Kikopup has some great, short clips which are really useful for showing you how to train.

Chirag Patel also has some really useful ones that show you how to get your dog used to being handled (so important for vet visits, etc) as well as other life skills.

Just remember that she is very young so keep any sessions, very short but lots of fun ...... there is no rush!!! :D

https://dogmantics.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/DomesticatedManners

ouesi likes this.
  5. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

Very short at the moment, between 1 to 5 minutes sometimes even less. I click right as her bum hits the floor then reward instantly. And I don't ask her to hold it for more than 2 seconds.

6. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

I do, do that too, I'll get her to sit then to lay down then try to get her into a stand but I can never get her back up again to try something else or to do a stand, she used to do it but the past few weeks she won't and she'll only budge if I throw a treat. Could I possibly try using toys?

7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Then I would keep doing that .... don;' let her get to to the point where she starts t to lose interest, once you begin to watch her a bit more you will be able to tell.Do you have a release command so she is allowed to move from the sit? If so I would use that (just say release or whatever) then throw the reward to get her moving again & more motivated. Does she like toys? Maybe mix it up a bit use a toy awell.....

8. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

Thank you! I've referenced Kikopup's videos a lot but I'll look at the other one as well. I've watched so many videos and read so many things that maybe I've jumbled it all up and need to start over. :confused:

I don't have one at the moment, I have tried to teach her a release as I thought it'd solve my problem but for some reason she's just happy to stay where she is :rolleyes: needless to say her stay is very good! But I'll give that a go! And now that you mention it I might try with toys as well as she seems a little bit more motivated by toys than by food, but it seems to depend on her mood.

Cleo38 likes this.
  9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Just try to enjoy the sessions & learn from them yourself ... don't rush ...... I was guilty of doing that to a degree!

Teaching tug is great for playing & incorporating in to training as it involves you both in the game rather than simply throwing a ball for the dog to just run off with ....

#9 Cleo38, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

So your specific problem is getting from a down into a sit or stand?

My solution is.... forget it! Throw the treat to get her up and do a different command. Come back to it at a later date. It's hardly an essential.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice