Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Trouble with another dog on walks

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Millie's mum, May 25, 2010.

1. Millie's mum

Millie's mum PetForums Junior

I am having trouble with another dog when walking my rescue lurcher Millie in the mornings and afternoons on the school run, and I'm not sure how to solve the problem! She is normally really good with other dogs but will react defensively with growling and barking if a dog is aggressive towards her. There is a labarador cross which is tied up at the fence near the school and it is completely hyper and barks aggressively at any other dog that walks past it. Millie is still a bit nervous and is still easily spooked when out on a walk and she absolutely hates this dog and goes completely mad when she walks past it. The other dog normally goes for her first and then she growls and barks at it and pulls very strongly on the lead to get at it. This morning the dog was there and it had it's back to Millie but she decided to have a go at it first and pulled on the lead so hard that I hurt my back and got a blood blister from the lead on my little finger. She barked and growled furiously at it and it did the same back to her, it is not an easy thing to cope with when there are children around on the school run! I decided not to walk back past the dog on my way back home and walked the long way home instead!

The owner knows that her dog is causing trouble but she still ties it up there to cause havoc for other dog owners. I have a back problem and I really can't cope with Millie pulling me that hard everday because of that dog, I am either going to have to train her not to react in that way or walk her when I have got back from the school run. It seems a shame that this problem has arisen because it took me such a long time to get Millie happy about walking and my son likes Millie coming on the school run with him, but I get really stressed about that dog everyday. It is not always there, but I always dread getting to the fence where it is!

I would be most grateful for any ideas on how I could stop Millie reacting so badly to the dog. She is starting training and socialization classes in June so I am hoping that she might possibly calm down after that but I think she will always hate that dog now! I feel really upset about this, things were going so well with Millie and it seems a shame that her walks have been ruined by a horrible dog! Many thanks in advance, Millie's stressed mum!:confused:

2. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

Thing is that each time she gets past that dog and react to him the more likely she will be to react to him the next time. The more the behaviour is rehearsed and the stronger it gets. The proof is in the fact that now she has reacted first without any provocation.

For now you need to put a stop to her having to get past this dog, so no more school runs. She is still finding her bearing with you and you must try and make every experience a positive one.

When you start classes you can explain the problems you have been having and they might be able to help you properly.

One word of advice though, choose your classes carefully. Being in a small room full of dogs excited or stressed or whatever might be the last thing she needs, if she goes nuts in there you might need a different type of class.

Socialization is a good thing only when it's good socialization.

3. rona

rona Guest

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Another thought is may be the school could intervene. Although it may not be on their property surely children have to walk past this dog and as you have mentioned that other people are having problems, it may be worth going down that route.

5. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Great advice!

Best not to put your dog in this situation where it can react. I think even the most balanced of dogs may struggle with a dog who is reacting like this.

By the way, well done for giving this dog a home :thumbup:

x

6. Millie's mum

Millie's mum PetForums Junior

Thanks everyone for your help and advice, it is very much appreciated. I should have mentioned in my original post that the dog is not tied up in a garden, it's owner is one of the mums at the school and she ties it up at the fence opposite the school while she takes her two children into school. The dog barks for her when she has gone and then has a go at any dog that walks past it on the footpath to the school. I have seen a little girl in tears because she was so scared to walk past it when it was barking. I have spoken to the owner and she said that the dog is a bit mad and she knows that it upsets other dogs but she still brings it up to the school anyway. I have a friend who also walks her well balanced whippet on the school run and she said that even he doesn't like the dog and growls at it. I have watched other dogs walk past it and although the may have a bit of a grumble at it Millie's reaction to it is far worse. She is quite a big lurcher and I'm only small so when she pulls it is very hard for me to get her under control.

I did not walk Millie on the school run this morning, I walked her when I got back instead but I could have taken her because the dog wasn't there this morning. I saw my friend with the whippet and she asked me why I didn't have Millie with me and I told her that I just couldn't face bringing her up incase the dog was there. She is very experienced with dogs and she said that she would help me walk Millie past it if it is up there which I thought was really kind of her. It is certainly more convenient for me to walk Millie on the school run because I have a back problem and I can't really cope with too many extra walks at the moment (it has got much worse since I have had Millie because she has pulled me a few times and aggravated it!).

I don't think that lady should really bring her dog up and just leave it there causing trouble if there are children around, I know I wouldn't. The dog looks like it is a labarador cross and it has a haltie on so it probably doesn't behave when it is walking either!

| am also not sure how Millie is going to react at her dog training classes which start in a couple of weeks. Fortunately they have said that if your dog is not suited to the class you can have one to one training instead, I have a feeling that might suit Millie better. Thanks again for your help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice