Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Trouble walking

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ellie82, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Ellie82

Ellie82 PetForums Junior

Hi All

I just wondered if anyone had any tips on how to enjoy walking my scottish terrier. She is only about 8 months old. She's a bit of a nightmare and stops for no reason and makes a weird noise (like grunting) when you try and make her walk.

Ive tried just carrying on walking but its difficult when she sometimes pulls back. I take her for a walk everyday and just really wish she'd walk as nicely as every other dog I see out

Anyone else had trouble like this

2. Pineapple

Pineapple PetForums Member

My 8 MO puppy stops during walks and stands staring at things that interest him and while I was using a lead and collar it was difficult to deal with, but I've since moved on to using a comfortable fleece harness on him with a front clipping O ring, and if I create less slack on the lead when he stops behind me, he'll continue walking. I think it's because the harness guides his whole body, it's not just a collar pulling around his neck. So perhaps a harness might help you?

Also, is your dog stopping (and grunting!) because she is fearful? Have you tried taking treats out on walks with you, and when she stops coaxing her along and treating her when she follows?

3. Ellie82

Ellie82 PetForums Junior

Thanks I'll try a harness again. I did get her one and she refused to move lol but it was when she was really young so perhaps now she'll be more obliging.

He making a grunting noise isnt really fearful (well i dont think so) more like she's annoyed.

4. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I knew someone whose dog grunted and was told it was something like an inverted sneeze! Could be some kind of plant is irritating his nose?:001_smile:

5. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

There are some YouTube videos of "Reverse Sneezing" - see if this is what your pup is doing, if it is google Reverse Sneezing to read up about it.

Our Bichon does this occasionally, it was quite frightening the first time. It's happened once or twice when out walking when she's pulled. She walks with a flat collar and lead, we can't get anywhere with a harness unfortunately. Most times have been in the house though.

6. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Can you not just stop and let her sniff? or are you in a hurry to get back?

7. keirk

keirk PetForums Member

Have you discussed this with your vet?

8. Ellie82

Ellie82 PetForums Junior

I do stop and let her sniff, Im sometimes out for about an hour and half to walk a very short distance that i could walk normally in about 15 minutes. Which is why i have asked for advise cause i don't think it should take that long.

9. Ellie82

Ellie82 PetForums Junior

I don't think its a real problem really, it just her way of saying im not moving. half a growl sort of thing.

Sometimes she just lays down on her belly so he doesnt have to move

10. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

My terrier does this, it's definitely not inverted sneezing in his case, more like as you say - grumbling about not getting his own way. He's quite a grumbly, grouchy little soul vocally in general. I'm mostly just hauling him along at the moment I'm afraid, he needs to know that I decide it's sniffing every leaf time, and that sometimes we just walk. I'm glad you've asked about it though, I'll be checking this thread for helpful hints on walking with stubborn terriers without the grumbling :)

11. Ellie82

Ellie82 PetForums Junior

sounds exactly the same :) im glad im not the only one stuffering lol

must be a terrier thing

12. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

Sonny does the grunting if I pull him when he is stopped as well again it is not inverted sneezing just Sonny grumbling (I think it is quite funny really) - he is a stubborn cocker though not a terrier. He is quite vocally anyway though (as my Dad always points out the breeder even told me this when I picked him up as a pup). Sonny stopped and sniffed everything when he was a pup but that does seem a long time for a walk to take. I usually let Sonny do his own thing but will call/pull him back if he takes too long. It is easier now he is off lead on a lot of the walks as I just leave him too it and he runs and catches up with me when he is done sniffing. Sonny grunts whether he is on a collar/lead or has a harness - he tries to dig his feet in as well :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice