Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Trocoxil

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by rona, Feb 1, 2012.

1. rona

rona Still missing my boys

My vet keeps mentioning this as the future drug for Alfies arthritis.
    Is it just me or doesn't a drug that stays in the body for a month or more worry any of you?
    Doesn't it cut down on possible treatments if something else crops up? :confused: :confused:

2. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I know a couple of oldies on this drug. They seem to be doing quite well.

I also don't like the idea or a drug that stays n the body for such long periods, and if I am not mistaken I think it can contribute to the formation of stomach ulcers... never given any thought to what would happen if treatment for a new condition was necessary - that is a good point.

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Banjo's back vet does'nt like it because some other drugs cant be used with it, so say god forbid :rolleyes: Banjo developed Epilepsy they would'nt be able to give the drugs for that with Trocoxil in the system.

Newfiesmum is sure Trocoxil was the cause of Joshua death to :(

Are Alfi's injections not working as well any more?

4. rona

Yes they are working fine at the moment, I just have chats to the vet when I go in, don't want to waste the opportunity. If I'm paying I like to get my monies worth ;) Hell, Alfie doesn't give her any problems :D

This is what bothers me and why I need to talk it through with you lot and then my vet next time I'm there. It's been a bother in the back of my head since she mentioned it a few months back.
    She said that Alfie couldn't have his Cartrophen with it :(
    Now if he was on Metacam it would mean stopping it for a week but he could still have his Cartrophen.

I'm going to have to do battle with her again like I did when she told me not to walk him far ;)

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

There are several things that worried me, this is from a leaflet a neighbour gave me and asked what I thought.

Special Warnings:-
    Should not be used in De-Hydrated Dogs.
    If your dog needs Surgery inform the surgeon that the dog is using Trocoxil
    Do Not adminster other NSAIDs or Glucocorticoids concurrently or within at least 1 month of the last administration of Trocoxil.
    Trocoxil has an extended effect duration (up to 2mths after administration of the 2nd dose and following doses) Adverse reactions could occur at any timepoint during this period.
    If an adverse reaction to the administration of Trocoxil occurs, stop using the product,and seek medical advice from your veterinarian immediately (Im thinking too Blinkin late if once they have had two doses its in the system for 2mths, and adverse reations can occur any time)

Adverse reactions.
    Typical Adverse reactions of NSAIDs such as loss of appetite, diarrhoea, vomitting, apathy, change in Kidney Biochemistry parameters and impared kidney function have occasionally been reported. In rare cases these my be fatal. If these reaction occur stop using the product and contact your vet.
    Note that Trocoxil has an extended effect od duration (up to 2mths after administration of the 2nd and following doses) Adverse reactions can occur at any timepoint during this period.

Contraindications.
    Do not use in dogs less then 12mths of age or less than 5Kg body weight
    Do not use in dogs suffering from gastro intestinal disorder including ulceration and bleeding
    Do not use where there is evidence of a heamorrhagic disorder.
    Do not use in cases or impaired Kidney or lIver function
    Do not use in cases of heart insufficiency
    Do not use in pregnant breeding or lactating animals
    Do not use in tcase of hypersensitivity to the active substance or to any of the excipients.
    Do not use in cases of know hypersensitivity to sulphonomides
    Do not use concomitantly with glucocorticoids or other NSAIDs

Dally Banjo likes this.
  6. Dally Banjo

Thats alot :w00t:

Strange thing is the Gabapentin Banjo is on is used for human Epilepsy I think thats why he had to be weaned off it, not that we got very far :(

I think is deffinately worth asking on here about drugs some vets seem to know more than others. I just ask pins vet now while Banjo has that zonked look on his face as it takes effect :D

7. rona

Yeah I've read a lot of that, by rights it shouldn't be used in old dogs!!!!
    How many old dogs do not have heart insufficiency or impaired kidney or liver function? :(

I don't like it and I'm not using it on my dog.

That's it, mind made up :)

Thanks all :)

8. Sled dog hotel

Now you come to mention it Im sure Gabapentin Ive seen mentioned on the Canine Epilepsy site when I was researching into seizures when Nuke started having them Ill check to ee what it says.

9. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

It's the same as any other NSAID. You wouldn't add another painkiller on top of Rimadyl or Metacam. It has the same gastric impact, but much less because you give less. Yes, it's in the system longer but the only thing my vet mentioned was possibly an annual blood test to ensure there are no hidden issues.

Brig has been on it for a couple of years, although I fear it's no longer stopping the arthritic pain as he's limping quite noticeably, but I think that's because the condition is worsening as he ages.

The are risks in any medication: the best person to talk to is the vet. Raise your concerns and only you can decide once you've researched the pros and cons. Dependent on the dog's age, the balance may be in favour of this drug. I think its been a good tool for us, but it's not necessarily for everyone.

10. Dally Banjo

:w00t: Nowt bad I hope.

Im with you Rona, unless it was the very, very last thing on the shelf it can stay there :D

11. Sled dog hotel

Knew I had seen it this is all it says though on the site
    GABAPENTIN

Gabapentin (Trade name - Neurontin) was approved for use in the United States in 1994, and has been used with some success in adult human patients suffering from focal seizures. It is most often used as a secondary (or add-on) drug to help treat seizures resistant to Phenobarbital and Potassium Bromide. A major advantage to this drug in humans is that is not metabolized by the liver, so it avoids the hepatotoxic (liver injuring) effects of other anticonvulsants. In dogs, gabapentin is metabolized partially by the liver and no one is completely sure of the anticonvulsant effects of this metabolite. It is believed that Gabapentin is beneficial in dogs with focal seizures refractory (resistant) to other drugs.

Dosage:

A recommended starting dose is 100 to 300 mg per dog given every 8 hours. The dose is then adjusted every one to two weeks until seizures are controlled or a maximum dose of 1200 mg every 8 hours is reached.

Side effects:

Gabapentin is not sedating and side effects appear to be uncommon. The biggest disadvantages to gabapentin are that it is extremely expensive and requires dosing every 8 hours.

12. Dally Banjo

PHEW!!!!!!!!!!! :D Its suppose to be a very good orthapedic drug for dogs to, no complaints here anyway & he is down to 400mg a day & £23 for 100x100mg but his insurance pays :cool: hopeing to reduce it down a little when it gets warmer, if :rolleyes:

13. Sled dog hotel

Thats what I thought I should imagine old dogs can get reduced kidney and liver function just as a matter of course due to age. What worries me more Rona is the length of time its active and that complications can occur any time. its not like a normal daily tablet when if a problem occurs you can just stop it immediately either. As you said too if it didnt work you cant use any other NSAIDs or steroids either for a month from last tablet, although it says it can be a duration of 2mths??

14. rona

Yes I know the risks with NSAIDs, but they can be withdrawn and get out of the dogs system within hours.
    Trocoxil cannot be removed for up to 2 months :( That's an awfully long time to leave your dog sick because of something you and your vet did

15. Sled dog hotel

16. rona

The thing is, at present he isn't on any pain meds. Vet thought he should be on some but she doesn't see him when he's out. She's going on the size of his joint (it's quite large) Thing is, it doesn't bother him. Told her to stop worrying cos if it doesn't bother him it doesn't bother me.
    Not having my dog on a drug like NSAIDs without good reason. He's going to be on them long enough anyway in the end.
    Metacam isn't a problem for him so can't see why I should try anything else unless it stops being effective

17. rona

Surely swelling is the bodies way of protecting?
    All this get the swelling down even if it's not causing a problem just seems silly to me :confused:

18. Sled dog hotel

If he seems fine and coping Ok and is free moving and happy on his walks then I wouldnt rush in and do anything for now. After Ive exercised and then sit for awhile, I can barely move and my joints hurt like hell, but once ive taken a few steps the stiffness eases and Im walking about normal. I certainly dont intend to swallow tons of painkillers unless I really have too, so if Alf is a similar thing to what I have I would think he is fine for now.

19. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I would never risk that stuff again, Rona. Seriously, Joshua was on it for 18 months and despite regular blood tests to check his organs, I lost him to internal bleeding, probably caused by this drug.

Yes, I am. When he had a bad flare up when on Trocoxil he could only have tramadol as an extra painkiller. I don't think it was all that great either, to be honest. Seems that his limp got worse when he didn't get his glucosomine and chondroitin, and the hydrotherapy was doing him more good.

Nobody told me about the side effects when he was prescribed it as a new wonder drug. I didn't read the leaflet, because I trusted the vet. Never again.

20. rona

He isn't even stiff when he first get up ;)
    The joint has been swollen since his operation, I think as that was 2 years ago now, he would be suffering if I was doing wrong.

I think that people don't question why they are doing these things sometimes
    Common sense seems to go out the window and panic sets in when it's our little darlings :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice