Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tripod Owners

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by CarrieH, Apr 4, 2011.

1. CarrieH

CarrieH PetForums Member

Just wondering if there are any other tripod owners on here?
    Dory had been in a snare before we found her (vet reckoned her injuries were about 2 weeks old when we took her in) and she had all the bones on her back leg exposed.
    The vet decided to try to save her leg and we did get it to heal, but lurchers have thin skin and the slightest knock would damage it.
    Dory when her leg was still healing.
    [​IMG]

Eventually we tried a skin graft as a last ditch attempt at saving her leg, we knew it was a risky thing with her because an earlier attempt at a skin graft had to be aborted because of the overall state she was in. Skin graft went well for a few weeks and then failed, so was followed up with a second graft and that's the one thing I regret doing in trying to save her leg, it never took from the start and had horrendous fluid build up behind it. We very quickly took the decision that she had to have her leg amputated.
    Here she is out for a walk not long after having her leg amputated.
    [​IMG]

She soon discovered a new favourite pastime - she never rolled until she had her leg off.
    [​IMG]

There's no slowing this tripod down :)
    [​IMG]

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

This is my boy.
    Thrown in front of a car as a puppy, where he suffered major nerve damage to his limb. Got 75% use back, chewed a toe off at 3, lost the entire limb at 8, and is now 12.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Oh well, looks like its just our two.

Hows does yours cope in regards to exercise/joint problems?

4. CarrieH

CarrieH PetForums Member

I thought there would have been more. In terms of weight distribution (esp being a sighthound), Dory is very lucky to be a back leg amputee. She copes just fine and I spend a lot of time wishing I could slow her down. She's about 8 now and had her leg amputated just over 3 years ago. I did wonder if I'd see early onset arthritis in her, but so far nothing although she has got more triangular in shape as time has gone on. She does struggle with one thing which I've not heard being a problem for the other tripod sighthounds we know and that's very windy and gusty days, she does get blown off her feet. Sometimes we don't walk on very stormy days. Other sighthounds we know seem not to turn too well at speed, but Dory can do very sharp turns, guess that's comes down to what's in their breeding maybe, the others we know are Saluki x whereas I'm told Dory is Whippet x Staffie.
    Looks like your lad copes just as well as Dory does and he looks so happy in that pic where he's running :)

5. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Gorgeous dogs.
    My aunts Dobie had a front leg removed due to cancer. I was only young and had to walk him one day, the bugger decided he was going back home and there was no way I could catch up with him:D

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My friend has an iggie cross that is a tripod. Before loosing her leg she used to go out working with her owners ferrets. Within a month of the amputation she was back out again. It certainly does not slow her down she can run just as fast as her others.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice