Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tripe in raw .. offal or not?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by the melster, Jun 8, 2010.

1. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

I'm just starting to work out a feeding plan for Bo and (as the title says lol) does tripe count as meat or offal or something else?

Also if I decide to feed veggies do I reduce the amount of meat ?

#1 the melster, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I started this thread on raw feeding, green tripe is the stomach of ruminating animals, there's a link that explains what nutrients etc it contains. I don't replace any meat with veggies, they each get approx 40g per day. I blend and freeze veggies in used take away tubs, and cut about 1/2 of a tub off a block with a sharp knife, and leave it to defrost when we're out on our morning walk. The thread explains what veggies and what they contain......

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-heal...veggies-meat-barf-diet-warning-gory-pics.html

3. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

You would think tripe was offal as it is an internal organ, i went to our local abatoir and got 2 full tripes for £2 it was quite disgusting cutting it up, washing etc but dogs love it.

4. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

Hi Sleeping Lion

I've already got your thread bookmarked as it's great information on raw. It came up in a search and I hadn't realised it was so recent.

poppydog1

You've got a stronger stomach than me .. I don't think I could buy it 'fresh' like that, it must stink!! Doggy heaven.

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Stomach counts as muscle meat in raw feeding - so not offal!

6. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Yep same as heart - even though it is an internal 'organ' as such, it wont be part of the offal allowance.

So if you are doing the 80 (meat/fish):10 (bone):10 (liver & other offal) - it counts towards the 80% meat part.

I dont feed veg - only as scraps and bits if I give maggie leftovers, not as a regular thing, so I dont personally reduce the amount of anything else I feed as I see the above being the main diet and the veggies just being like a tit bit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice