Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Trip to the vets :(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by xxbailliexx, Nov 26, 2012.

1. xxbailliexx

xxbailliexx PetForums Member

Hubby is of to the vets with Baillie :(

When i had her out today i noticed at the side of her bum there was a red swollen area and when she done the toilet it started bleeding and a kind of pus came out the centre ( sorry for to much info )

It looks like she has ripped the top layer of skin off and its like raw flesh!! I have no idea how this happened :confused: She doesnt seem to be even aware its there. Its about the size of a 50 pence coin and looks so sore :(

Has anyone elses dog ever had this? I'm worried sick :(

2. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

Without seeing it it sounds like it could be an infected anal gland. A good clean and antibiotics should clear it up.

3. terrierist

terrierist PetForums Senior

does it look like a pussy, swollen strawberry?

ooooh infected anal gland - betchya!!

4. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

Agree sounds like infected anal gland, Charlie once got an impacted anal gland but luckily i spotted the swelling and managed to empty it before it turned into anything nasty, she only had the smelly brown stuff no pus or blood (sorry :eek:) if left though the gland gets pus in.

5. xxbailliexx

Thanks for the replies.

Its just to the side of her bum and its like a red jelly lump :eek: (sorry that sounds horrible) kind of like the top few layers of skin have been torn off.

6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I hope she'll be OK.

7. xxbailliexx

Thanks

Baillie carries her tail really low and it was'nt untill i had her out today and she squated to do her business that i noticed ( i have the most queasy tummy and was nearly sick outside :eek:)

Hubby has just came back and yous were all correct its was her anal glands. The vet has emptied them as much as possible and we have to take her back in a few days. She has been given antibiotics, anti inflammitorys and something called loxicom that is to be put into her food. £60 down but she's ok and thats the only thing :)

Thanks for the help.

8. CaliDog

CaliDog Greedy Mummy Bear!

Glad to hear she is doing well :)

9. xxbailliexx

Thanks again for all the replies. Feel a bit daft that i didnt know what it was :D
    Thought her bum was going to fall off :D
    Just glad it was nothing serious. She has to go back in a few days to see if there is anymore but the vet emptied as much as she could tonight and poor Baillie looks so relieved so it must have been uncomfortable for her :(

Thanks again.

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Is it to one side of her anal opening? if so sounds like anal glands they have one either side, they should empty naturally when they defeacate, but can get blocked infected and abcesses can even form. If its where I think it may be sounds like they have got infected an abcess has formed and its ruptured hence the bloody pus. They can be frightening and look horrendous when they burst.

She really nees to see the vet as it will need to drain and she will need antibiotics to help with the infection.

11. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

That will teach me to read the whole thread first:D

Glad you have found out what it is she should be OK now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice