Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tried to give Fluffy front-line but she freaked

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Iheartcats, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Iheartcats

Iheartcats PetForums VIP

So frustrating. We got Fluffy Program injected last September which is supposed to last 6 months but I like to "top up" with Frontline Combo just to give extra protection. Well this morning she FREAKED OUT!! She was like a wild animal. My husband tried to wrap her in a towel but she was really screaming, scratching and trying to run away. It was just not working. She really was just too distressed.

I'm wondering how the heck to get her down to the vet in March :confused::confused: Its going to be virtually impossible to get her into the carrier. I hope she doesn't scratch the poor vet to ribbons. Maybe they'll have to sedate her (says hubby).

Anyone got any suggestions. I'm at a loss. Fluffy just seems to be getting worse by the day :(

2. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

Poor Fluffy, she's really not happy is she. One of my cats Polly hates having the spot on flea treatment. I literally have to pin her down almost sitting on her to do it. With regards to getting them into a carrier the best way is to stand the carrier on its end and put them in bottom first. You may need protective gloves with Fluffy though. I wouldn't worry about the vet, they will be used to 'wild' cats and they surely must expect the odd few bites and scratches! I have followed Fluffys progress (or lack of it) on another thread, is she still not accepting the kittens? Did you try Zylkene? I tried it with Beanie but I don't think it made any difference. Are your kittens nearly ready to start going out? I think once they do you will see a change in Fluffy. Good luck and take heart that lots of us on here have had and are still having various problems with cats and kittens. My latest is my kamikazee kitten Whisper (see Whisper free running thread)

3. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

Have you tried putting the frontline on her when she's sleepy, our last cat Thomas used to get freaked out by it, so I used to wait until he was sleepy to do it and he seemed to take it better.

With regards to the cat carrier.. I have left it out for a day or two before and have put treats in it, then when I have needed to go to the vets, I put treats in, cat goes in for treats (as he's used to it anyway) close door, job done.

4. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

I either give them their Advocate dose when they're sleepy or when I've put their favourite food down so they don't really notice while I'm doing it - they're too wriggly otherwise!

With the carriers - I leave them out all the time and have put a couple of my old jumpers in them to make them cosy. This way they're used to them being around all the time and don't associate them with anything bad that may be about to happen - they sleep in them a lot too! Then to actually get them in there on vet day, I put a couple of Thrive treats in the back to coax them in and keep them distracted while I shut the door behind them. You can also get some Feliway spray from Pets at Home (or Amazon if you're lazy like me!) to spray in the carrier to make her more at ease).

5. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

My own cats are very good at having their Advocate but when I put frontline on the stray boy who lives on my doorstep I always do it when he is distracted eating his food he doesn't even know I have done it

Viv xx

6. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

The carriers are regular cat beds over here, I leave them near the central heating, so they love sleeping in them.
    Some of my cats hate the flea drops, too. It may help if you keep it in your hand or trouser pocket for a bit, so it will not feel all that cold on their skin.

7. Iheartcats

Iheartcats PetForums VIP

Thanks for the replies. I retrieved the pipette from the bin and luckily it was on the top so none of the contents came out and I squirted Fluffy on the back of the neck. I know you are supposed to get to the skin but she won't let me any where near her and I did it while she was eating. She hissed and growled at me as usual. It was the best I could do in an impossible situation.

Wind1 - She's still not accepting the kittens although they just ignore her and do their own thing. I've tried all sorts to try and chill her out. Feliway and Pet Remedy works on the kittens but had no effect on Fluffy and I too tried Zylkene but that didn't do anything either. I'm not going to let the kittens out until Spring time when the days get longer and warmer. They are only 6 months old at the mo so still too young to be let out in my opinion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice