Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tried my kitty with some raw meat and.......

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Elise.x, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

He nearly bit me trying to get it :eek:hmy: Hank dosnt like wet and has only been nibbling on dry and i was a little worried because he didnt ever seem hungry and didnt eat much dry at all, well i defrosted some stewing steak for todays stew and took the advice off this forum and tried him with a bit, i didnt think he would like it becaue i cooked a joint of beef the other day and gave him some and he turned his nose up at it:rolleyes:

I have never seen him so enthusiastic about food since we have had him:D so gonna order the raw food starter pack and take it from there.

Should i be giving him a little dry as well as raw? and will raw give him an upset stomach at first because hes never had it before? and how much should i feed him? because its like he will eat it no stop lol?

Also OH was alittle worried that he might try to eat us :D becaue he was like a hannibal eating this raw meat :eek:hmy: never seen him like this before, is that normal lol.x

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Hi there,

That's brill that he likes raw! You don't NEED to feed dry as well but can if you want to get rid of what you've got - you will probably find he won't want to eat it though. They need 2% of their body weight in raw. Roughly 100g for a large cat. So up to 20g for each kilo he weighs. My big moggie neuter weighs 11 lbs (5kg ish) so he gets 100g ish each day. Raw has never given any of mine a bad tummy, you should find that he poops a lot less often (about once every 2 days) and it smells less. It does tend to fill them up properly so they don't tend to overeat. His enthusiam is normal if all he has been having is bland dry. Enjoy the benefits!

3. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

Thanks for the quick replie Spid :), so the raw will have all the nutrients that he will need with him being a kitten? even though the dry is a complete? sorry totally new to this lol

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

If you use the stuff from the starter pack and continue with it after then yes it will, it is all sorted for vits, taurine, the right amount of offal and heart muscle etc, and bone bits as well so you don't have to think about it or worry if you are getting it right. It is a complete food. It's brilliant stuff. Order in bulk if you can to reduce postage costs (after your taster pack) and stick it in the freezer. One tube should last your cat around 4 days (400g tubes) - I bet he goes crazy for the rabbit chunks! I go through 1 tubes every 2 and 1/2 days with 2 cats and 2 kittens (one cat doesn't eat that much of it but is coming round tothe idea. The kittens and moggie will chose raw over any other food I put down except scrambled egg for the kits - that wins every time! I'm trying to use up my JWB but it's taking forever as they rarely touch it now!

5. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

Right, ok i will just use the dry until it is used up then, it lookslike its only shipped Mon-Thu so i think i will wait until Mon to order, just one last question, this may sound silly but it says on the website that its frozen, so does it come frozen? because if it comes in frozen tubes of 400g then how would i defrost small amounts for my kitty daily:confused:

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

It does come frozen in polystyrene cartons. Use a large knife to chop the tubes in half before you pop them in the freezer and then defrost half a tube at a time - it will easily last 2-3 days in the fridge. I keep mine in a tupperware and scoop out what I need a mealtimes every day.

7. kozykatz

kozykatz PetForums VIP

I wish mine would eat the rabbit chunks, but they don't seem to like the big bits of bone. I have quite a few bags in my freezer if anyone relatively local would like them!

8. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

What if you minced it, made the bone bits smaller ? Lidls have a special offer on a mincer on Monday. I doubt its strong enough to do large bones, but it should be able to handle bits of bone.

9. kozykatz

kozykatz PetForums VIP

Yes that could be worth trying - not sure I can get to Lidl next week though!

10. Mjos

Mjos PetForums Newbie

Hi! I am also thinking about changing Misu's diet to a raw one! First of all just say thanks for that info!! Just got a few more questions... I'm not treating her with dewormer tablets as she usually indoors and therefore doesn't hunt but I'm not sure whether I should treat her before starting a raw diet??? :confused:
    Also where can I get that starters pack??
    Thanks

11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

12. Mjos

Mjos PetForums Newbie

13. Misi

Misi PetForums VIP

That's so funny! My cat Bruno nearly wrestles me to the ground to get at his raw food. He growls at me if I try to take any off him he's stolen!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice