Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tried and Failed

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by kateaitken07, Aug 12, 2009.

1. kateaitken07

kateaitken07 PetForums Junior

Roxy's babies are 16 days old now.

I thought I would try and get her and the babies downstairs so the kits could get used to household noises....

Went very badly :(

I brought the whole nest downstairs, Roxy went nuts, kept screaming at me then running back upstairs. Then she tried to take the babies back up and she was very manic.

I managed to have the babies down here for about 2 mins!! Roxy was so stressed out I moved them back straight away.

How do I do this?! I dont want the babies to be nervous and scared of everything but Roxy wont let get used to it :( What do I do?!

2. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

OMG that sound like hell, i haven't thought about that we have a dog just a little one and i don't know how mum is going to be her. We have put a cover over the stair gate that we have blocking of the hall, so she will have that area. THe dog can't see through so hopefully they wioll get used to the noise

3. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Hiya,

It's definitely best to leave the babies where mum wants them. Just handle them regularly so that they get used to human contact, they'll get used to the other stuff once mum allows them to come down. It doesn't take long.

4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

They wont be scared I bring the kits down at 6 weeks for little bits then they moved downstairs at 8 and they were the most outgoing kits ever, at 16days they cant barely move let alone get used ot noise lol!!

leave mum be and your know when the time is right when they are older :)

5. kateaitken07

Thank you, I shall leave them upstairs for now then.

I handle them all regulary throughout the day and I get my son to stroke them as well (with clean hands! and alchol gel).

6. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

I've never been responsible for a litter of kittens but I remember my grandmothers cats had 2 litters. The kittens and mother housed themselves in the airing cupboard. When I asked if they were ok in there she said mother nature does a much better job of telling the mother cat what's best than a human ever could.

Sure enough, she brought the kittens out when the time was right.

I think you did what you thought was best but Roxy had other ideas. She sounds like a great Mum. If she is happy and settled in her environment she will know when the time is right to bring them out into the big bad world.

I'm gone all goey at the thought of a little of fluffy kittens now :blushing:

7. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Bless her. She was stressed. The earliest i have bought my kittens downstairs is 4 weeks.
    16 days they are still 100% dependant on mum and mum feels the need to protect much more.
    Even 4 weeks they are still dependant but are also weaning and that bit stronger. Give her time. And try again in a few weeks
    x

8. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

I'm still giggling at the notion of Roxy demanding you unhand her babies and trotting them back upstairs mumbling under her breath about the silly humans.

9. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Don't beat yourself up over it, the kits will be ok and Mum makes all the right decisions. If they wander off before they're ready (and quite often after they're ready!) Mum will drag them back. Cat mums are so protective and devoted it's unreal. But if she thinks there's something they need to see or do, she will be there calling them to heel!

There is plenty of time, they need to be secure where they are first. There's nothing to stop you giving one a cuddle and wandering around with it in your arms though, but if Mum says no, respect her wishes and put it back.

Funniest thing I saw years ago, my girl Lotus's litter were about 10 weeks old. I was having a bath and left the bathroom door open, her kittens wandered in to look and my old neutered boy Spider (aged 12 at the time) rushed in and started dragging them all out by the scruff! He fell into a bath himself when he was very young and was horrified the kittens were going into danger. You wouldn't believe an aged male neutered cat would be so paternal.

10. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

I planned on having my litter downstairs? Is this not recommended?

11. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

It depends on your cat most of all :)

She maybe an independent type that wants to get on with it in private peace, or she may be the clingy sort that wants you there. You will know... coming up to the birth she will either not let you out of her sight, or be very cagey about things. Either way, cats are cats, they make their own minds up...

12. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

As long as you make sure the kittens can get down stairs when they want to, they will make it there themselves. Mine are born in my bedroom. They all then follow the same rite of passage. First out of their kitten box, then out the bedroom, and I know they are nearly ready when they all camp out in the bathroom. For some reason the bathroom mat has great pulling power ;) Then they gradually come downstairs one by one. If its Mums first litter, the 6 week stage as they get more and more independant will drive her batty, but she will soon give up and let them get on with it. I won't make an over the top claim that my kittens are the most outgoing ever :rolleyes: but staying up stairs for a while will not make them shy as long as they are being handled. If they are your kittens then they will be immune to all little bugs etc in your household. There is no need to use hand gel etc. Mum licks her bum and theirs then licks their faces yet they still survive ;) Only people from outside or with other cats need to wash their hands and wear clean clothes etc to visit, or if you've touched outside cats before going into them.

One thing all Mummy cats hate is being told where to have their kittens ;)

13. kateaitken07

Theres been some really good advice on here, thanks again :D

I use the handgel as I have other cats, some that go outside. And bella was recently poorly as well so If Ive been handling the others then I use hand gel before going to the babies.

The babies are all very strong, a few of you have said they can barely move at 16 days but these 3 move all over the place and are trying to stand on all 4 legs. one of them can even get into the "sitting" position!! Roxy is doing a grand job and there all chunky lil things :D

14. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

My first cat had hers on the bed so i had to move them and put into a lovley designer cardboard box she didn't seem to mind my other cat misty had them down stairs in the middle of the livingroom and agin i had to move them into yet anoth designer cardboard box. This time poppy has taken to upstairs so lets see where she has them and what mood she is in when the time comes, i getting very posh now i have 2 designer cardboard boxes and a huge fabric cage very comfortable with the latest baby duvet in the bottom. I been lucky that i have very chilled out cats when it comes to kitties.

Good luck keep us posted

ruth
    xx

15. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

'Designer' cardboard boxes eh? How posh! One of my girls years ago gave birth in a box with her name on - it was a Lotus paper towels box! My neighbours were throwing out a huge box last week and I hummed and ha'd but decided I couldn't really allow Cuba to have hers in a box marked 'Toilet To Go'.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice