Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tricky one

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Huds, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Huds

Huds PetForums Junior

Good evening. I have a slightly unusual situation that may warrant the help of someone more voiced in human than dog behaviour but am looking for support? 2 years ago we made a heart wrenching design to rehome our romanian rescue dog after 6 months of him living with us. He had become increasingly reactive and was verging on dangerous and I couldn't control him. We are still incredibly sad about this but feel maybe with the right dog things could be better. We may well have found one but my youngest daughter is in tears at the thought of getting another dog. She is so worried that we will have a repeat of all the stress and guilt and blame (and also is worried for our cat). This seems like the opposite of the normal situation of kids begging for a dog and mum saying no! For the record it is my husband and older daughter (16) who desperately want a dog. I am a little more cautious and my youngest (14) is incredibly upset at the thought. The owner has asked to do meet and greets and even trial stayovers before anyone commits as he is also very reluctant to let his dog go but has no choice. Any advice?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Honestly, I’d say don’t…. Imo everyone needs to be 100% on board with it.

If it’s a private rehome then there is no backup if it does go wrong.

Maybe OH and eldest daughter would help out at a local rescue or greyhound rehomer for their dog fix instead?

3. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Absolutely this!!!
    Incredibly important for the dog as well as you, even if you don't foresee an issue right off the bad.

IF everyone is on board with a new dog and you are capable and willing to put in all the time and effort they need, you are 100% going to be better off not setting yourself up to fail, by either getting a dog from a reputable rescue that's spent a good while showing its true colours in a foster home (rather than just a kennel situation), or a suitable breed from a good breeder who does everything as they should.

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Are you and your daughter wary because of the first failure or because you are dubious about getting a dog at all and not wanting the commitment. Personally I prefer private rehomes and have had a few. Romanian rescues can be a nightmare and are often not for the novice owner or the experienced owner wanting a nice easy pet so dont beat yourself up on that. There is no reason why this dog should have the same problems.

Huds likes this.
  5. Huds

Huds PetForums Junior

Wary after heartbreak from first dog. And he was our first dog ever so have little else to compare the experience with. The man looking to rehome his pup is military and is being posted for 18 months and doesn't want to stress dog out with being passed around his friends and family. He's even said we can have a trial period to see how he/ we settle. I will see if we can convince my youngest to at least join us with a visit. She is very emotional but utterly loves all animals. We all do. I dont want to upset her but neither do I want to upset my other daughter and husband by refusing to try again. Thank you all for your replies. I will absolutely take them on board.

6. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

What breed is puppy and how long has the owner had it for? How old is it now? Do you know where it came from originally?

Private rehomes have the potential to be all fine and dandy, but they can just as easily go very wrong with nobody to turn to for help. People bend the truth and straight up lie to rehome dogs. Hopefully this isn't one of those situations, but you never know until its too late.
    Considering your last situation, help and backup may be a very welcome thing!

One of mine is a private rehome from the freeads. Not my first dog thankfully (she may well have put me off!) and I don't regret taking her home, but they definitely lied to me about her and her situation. Was described as basically a perfect pup on her ad, but frankly she's a massive knobhead.

(I'm not military minded, but would have thought if having to leave for months on end was an option in your choice of work, then you'd definitely have a backup plan for your puppy right away, or ideally just not have got a puppy at all?)

7. Huds

Huds PetForums Junior

5 month old collie cross gsd. Originally from Preston. Intentional breeding between working dogs. Man bought him as a pup believing his family would be able to cope if he was posted. Our rescue dog was from a Foster home who were not truthful about the dog ( riddled with worms and fear aggressive) so I am VERY cautious to know the truth now.

8. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Have you considered getting a puppy instead?

I appreciate puppies are hard work and aren't for the faint hearted, but at least a puppy wouldn't have any negative experiences attached to it . Perhaps choosing a smaller breed and one that's easily trainable so your 14 year old would be able to live with without feeling overwhelmed.

I have two Mini Schnauzer who a good choice for a family. They're a very healthy,versatile breed and one that's easily trained. Your younger daughter could help with that and maybe participate in activities like dog dancing or agility.

9. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Honestly, a gsd x collie from working lines doesn't sound like an ideal family dog for essentially first time owners.

LydiaC, O2.0, Sarah H and 3 others like this.
  10. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

My sentiments exactly!

I've owned both and whilst they're lovely breeds they do need an experienced owner.

Boxer123, simplysardonic and BlueJay like this.
  11. Huds

Huds PetForums Junior

Well I came in here for advice and thank you. I think 5 months is still a puppy and understand the breed is hard work in terms of energy and stimulation. We are a pretty active family so could cope with those demands but I think I agree that a more relaxed breed would perhaps be better. Hubby and no1 daughter def not into small breeds. Ho hum.
    Thanks for replies. I will continue to ponder but had best make sure the chap selling the dog keeps looking at other options as he seems keen for us to meet him and I dont want to waste his time.

12. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Honestly, I don't think a collie/GSD would be the right fit for your family, especially if both parents are working line, 5 months is young but still an unknown quantity, I took on a rehome malinois/GSD who was 6 months old, had minimal training & no boundaries, it's been very hard work that is still ongoing.

I honestly think in your case a pup from a good breeder would be a good option, there are some wonderful, biddable breeds out there in all shapes & sizes. If you like the look of collie/GSD types have a look at Finnish lapphunds, really nice dogs & worth the wait to get one from a reputable breeder.

Boxer123 and Sarah H like this.
  13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

This does not sound like a suitable dog for first-time owners. Likely to be very active and needing a lot of mental stimulation in the form of training, and inclined to herd people and traffic, not just sheep. Both GSD's and collies have a quite high level of joint issues - hips in both, elbows more in the GSD. I'm an experienced collie owner, and I'd hesitate in taking this dog on.
    As you don't want a small dog, how about a standard Shnauzer? Or standard Poodle?

Magyarmum, Sarah H and simplysardonic like this.
  14. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Lots of good advice here but just a couple of loose ends.

Is your youngest daughter upset because the dog you had frightened and stressed her with it’s behaviour, or is it because she was attached to the dog and doesn’t want to go through the re-homing heartbreak and loss again?

Do you know what happened to the dog after you parted with it? It would be interesting to know if it was able to settle in a new home and become less problematic.

15. Huds

Huds PetForums Junior

She is worried as she was very attached (she didn't have much input into his care, however, as that was mainly myself, my husband and her sister) she struggles to even say goodbye to a toothbrush so parting with a dog was really hard. He was generally good in the house but aggressive to visitors and anyone and everything outside. Sadly the Foster home doesn't allow me any knowledge of his progress other than that he was rehomed again after 2 weeks back with them.

16. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I agree with everyone else this is a tricky mix. Although private rehomes can work, if you go with a breeder who has health tested and will support you through the pups life there is less chance it will go wrong again. Being active with this breed is good but it will also need training, mental stimulation etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice