Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Trick??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Freyja, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

In a few weeks we may be going to a fun show that we always support. This year they have no pedigree classes just the fun classes so I am pprobably going to take some of the smaller ones that I don't normally take. One of the classes is for best trick none of mine really do tricks Willow wags his tail on command but thats about as far as it goes.

Now what I want are some ideas of some tricks and how to teach them something simple but looks clever Lily used to play dead if you pretended to shoot her but then she turned into a zombie and refused to be dead but Bear is eager to please and I think he would be the easiest to teach. He is only a small ddog but has loads of hair so ddoing things like shaking hands or high 5 wouldn't be noticable through his coat. I thought of teaching him to staand on his back legs but I do show him and don't really want him to start doing that in the show ring

Ok any ideas?

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Why do you think that your dog will stand on his back legs in the show ring?

This is like people saying "I cannot compete in obedience and show because I do not want my dog sitting in the ring"

Not true

If you have the behaviour on cue there is no reason for a dog to stand on his hind legs in the show ring and there are many dogs which have been successfully handled in many spheres simultaneously.

Why not train him to do something that involves you eg unzipping your pocket and takingout a hankie?

kittih likes this.
  3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

People always love Kenzie standing between my legs with her feet on my feet and taking a few steps together and it was pretty easy to teach.

Muttly and kittih like this.
  4. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Because he is very bouncy and although he is a natural show off he is a clown in the ring and usually ends up either nipping my bum or my arm as you can tell we both take showing very seriously not as he is actualy slightly over the breed standard he gets away with being daft as he is only likely to get placed if tthere is only 4 in the class.

Opening pockets is not wise with a dog whose world rotates round his stomache as thats were my treats go when we are showing.

This is a dog who is generally described as the village idiot

5. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Well I guess if he is such an idiot getting him to stand still will be a major trick for him by the sound of it; it is good not to be too ambitious............

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

The usual description of him is he is that thick it makes him look clever as he is always doing stupid things. Keeping all 4 feet on the floor at the same time is hard for him at times

7. tantrumbean

tantrumbean PetForums Senior

Yes, I was going to suggest that. Mine picked it up really quickly - we can now do it forwards and backwards!

8. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I tried to teach Holly that, but she is too big and my legs are too small for us to manage it!

9. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Some trick ideas:

Spin/Twist
    Back up
    Touch
    Ring a bell
    Figure 8 (go round/through legs in a figure 8)
    Bow

Sarah H likes this.
  10. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

^^These are good, also:

speak
    weaving between legs as you walk
    roll over
    wave (different to paw)
    nose touch
    kiss
    front or back paws onto a step

lol there are loads!

11. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Weaving through your legs might be a good one. It's easy to teach with a lure first and you can do it with you standing still or walking.

Spin or twist is an easy one to teach too.

12. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

I would love to teach Muttly this, I assumed it would be really hard. Next project :) (so many in the pipeline, the next one was supposed to be 'tic tacs' but I haven't sorted a rubber coated ramp yet).

McKenzie likes this.
  13. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

And then once you've got it you can extend it in all sorts of ways, such as the dog backing between your legs or calling the dog to you, then spinning a half circle and backing between your legs.

Muttly likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice