Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

TRIAL: Mum holds child on railing @ zoo; he falls into the Painted Wolves exhibit...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by leashedForLife, Oct 14, 2013.

1. leashedForLife

& is killed. Parents sue the zoo, alleging this is all their fault.

Pittsburgh zoo, family trade blame in toddler's mauling death case | Reuters

To read the copy AD-FREE, find "Twitter" on the right side, & move the cursor down 5 buttons, then
    click on PRINT & read the pop-up. ;)

Canines are predators; even dogs, unable to escape in a pen, might badly-bite or kill a child who FELL
    into their midst, suddenly. Why is this so difficult to grasp?

His mother put this child on a 3.5-ft tall railing; around waist-high, on folks between 5'6" & 6-ft tall.
    What made her think that was SAFE?

Sorry, at some point, adults are responsible for their actions; circumventing the safety of the railing,
    which is specifically MEANT to block access, was asinine. I am sorry for the child's death, but i feel
    his parents are not acknowledging that their [or her] own actions are largely, if not totally, at fault.

Maybe zoos should go to remote-access only, using live cameras & zero-access, zero-visible exhibits.
    It seems that some eejit will find a way to undermine safety, then blame the zoo.
    I am disgusted - i think they're just angling for a cash payout. :incazzato:

2. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

The parents are angry and are lashing out. The Mum possibly realises it is her fault but what Mum wants to admit , even to themselves , that they caused the death of their own child. :(
    I would hate to think that the parents see the loss of their child as a way to gain money

But also feel that the zoo is partly to blame , a 3 1/2 ft fence , is that really adequate given the danger involved to excited young children , sadly its been proved not to be

Its a tragedy
    RIP little one xxx

3. leashedForLife

the 42-inch railing is INSIDE a building, built as an all-weather observation deck ABOVE the painted-wolf pen -

also, from the news source,
    Zoo: Wild dogs killed boy, 2, who fell in exhibit | Local News - KMBC Home

more -
    African Painted Dogs Kill Toddler At Pittsburgh Zoo | The Hot Zone

Emphasis added in bold -

4. leashedForLife

5. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

This is a way to deflect blame from the parents themselves, I think - particularly the mother. SHe was completely irresponsible - to the point of stupidity, but can't bring herself to accept that she caused the death of her child.

If they are awarded damages (God forbid) it will justify them in their own eyes - the more they get, the more they will feel that the zoo is at fault.

Unfortunately, from what I have read of American lawsuits of this nature, there is a chance that not only will they win, but will never need to work again (though personally, I couldn't profit from the death of my child - others don't always feel this way).

6. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

Its a tragic accident but one that never should have happened.

The zoo should have made it safer and the mother should have had more sense.

shoulda woulda coulda.and now a little boy is dead because of it.

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

They'll probably win too :rolleyes: how stupid do you have to be to put a child on a railing 14ft above an exhibit with wild carnivores in it?

8. Debbierobb109

Debbierobb109 PetForums Member

at edinburgh zoo theres a sign clearly stating how dangerous these animals are and if you drop anything (bag/camera etc) in by accident it wont be retrieved.......id image this zoo would have had the same kind of information available??? even if they didnt, who in their right mind stands a child on a barrier above a wild animal??? even if she had a tight hold of him there would always be a chance that he may fall in....to blame the zoo for her negligence is just ridiculous!
    it is horrible what has happened, but the barrier is there for a reason, id imagine most parents that wanted their children to have a better look etc would have put them in their arms not balance them on a barrier.
    poor child !!!!

9. leashedForLife

Don't know, but if not, we should suggest it. :thumbsup:
    Very much agree.

Even if there had been NO animals whatever below, a 14-ft drop is not negligible.
    Does the average mother stand a toddler on window-sills, or the railing of a double-decker sightsee bus?
    Do parents stand toddlers on the balcony railing of their apartment, to see the fireworks better?

Who in God's name puts their child at the same level of risk, as a fall from a 2nd story window?
    [1st floor, in the UK.]
    With all the many, many ppl who've visited this zoo, no-one else has had this particular accident.

Perhaps the zoo should use CCTV on all the animal exhibits; for one excellent outcome, it would
    STOP SHORT such bl**dy-minded drunken $%#@&! as the 2 who tormented the tigress by slinging stones
    at her, till she leapt up & struck back - mauling her attackers, & sadly killing their friend, who foolishly
    sacrificed his own life to save their worthless lives. :nonod: That was in San Francisco - they killed the tigress.

I'm sorry she killed the wrong person - but i'm much more upset that the zoo killed her. Self-defense is IMO
    the right of anyone living, human or non-.

The number of visitors who harass or endanger the resident animals is low, but CCTV would help to
    catch them in the act, & would DOCUMENT - if not prevent - such accidents as this one.

10. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

This is reminiscent of the Stanley Holloway rendering of "The Lion and Albert". For those who do not know, Mr and Mrs Hardcastle took Albert, their son, to the zoo where he tormented a lion into dragging him inside the cage and eating him.

"Yon Lion's ate Albert, and him in his Sunday blues too"

Mr & Mrs Hardcastle sued.

Of course, the poem was funny, it was meant to be. This is just disgraceful. When one of our wildlife parks, Woburn, first opened back in the early seventies, some idiot had his window open and his toddler daughter on his lap. A lion came along, dragged her out and mauled her. She survived, luckily, but nobody thought of suing.

It was his own fault, just as this is the mother's own fault.

11. leashedForLife

for those who missed the incident at the San Francisco zoo - Xmas 2007:

S.F. Zoo visitor saw 2 victims of tiger attack teasing lions - SFGate

The 3 young men were all Muslim; the one who was killed was not harassing the big cats,
    nor did he stone the tigress, but all 3 were apparently drunk, with empty alcohol bottles rolling
    on the floor of their car.
    An apparent 4th man in the group was to my knowledge, never ID'd.

The brothers were put in the same ambulance for the trip to hospital, & discussed what they'd done
    during the trip, promising one another that they wouldn't mention drinking or teasing the animals.
    :thumbdown: They were more afraid of facing their father's wrath about drinking, than they were concerned
    about their friend - who got between Tatiana & them when she leaped out, & died for his pains
    & their sins. :nonod: Very respectable, upright fellas, eh?... [Pathetic jerks, IMO.]

Like canines, big cats are predators & don't respond well to harassment, invasion of their
    personal space, or unhappy surprises - such as live humans, plummeting into their zoo-exhibit.

there have been plenty of precedents -
    Ppl who jumped or snuck into animal enclosures, adults & teens mostly, who died or were mauled.
    The Aussie woman mauled by a polar bear; the man who snuck into the bears' den & was killed;
    it's been reported many times.

Even familiar well-known keepers are sometimes killed -
    Sarah McClay: Handler killed by tiger at South Lakes Wild Animal Park in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria | Metro News

12. considerthis

considerthis PetForums Member

everyone who has said it already is right, it was her own stupid mistake! does she really need someone to supervise and tell her not to endanger her own child by holding them precariously over a predators pit?!?!?! honestly. if she doesn't have enough sense to care for her own child she has no right blaming anyone else. poor kid!!!!

13. leashedForLife

Pretty much. :eek: Harsh, but largely very true.

Humans aren't the only species that figure out mothering by making BIG & small mistakes -
    i've seen loads of animal-mums struggle with their parenting, especially the first-time mums.

Gorillas & other social mammals all have ways of passing along or modeling good mothering -
    that doesn't mean first-time mums don't make mistakes, but at least they have a decent chance to get it
    right, or mostly right. Domestic dogs are much-more likely to screw up, especially on a first litter,
    as they DON't often get to watch other dog-mums, busy rearing neonates or pups still in the nest.

Luckily, some mothering is heritable - so good mothers tend to have bitches who are in their own turn,
    good mothers. But they really could use some help, on the 1st & 2nd litters, IME. :yesnod:

14. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I seem to remember some idiot falling into a polar bear pit at one of our zoos, showing off balancing around the edge or some such. Do you think it is the popularity of stuffed teddy bears and cute, cuddly lions that makes them think the real thing is just as harmless?

When I worked at Woburn before it opened to the public, we used to look after a lion cub who had lost its mother in the office during the day. It was about the size of one of my dogs and it bloody hurt when it bit and scratched playfully. I wouldn't fancy taking on a full grown one that meant business.

I think it is sad that the tigress got the wrong one, but then why was he friends with such morons in the first place?

15. Kyo

Kyo PetForums Junior

I just read this and almost teared up knowing the blame will fall with the animals, one was shot on the spot and now there will be "discussions" on the fate of the others if past cases are anything to go by. The only zoo like place i have been is Disney's animal kingdom, and there aren't enclosures there, it's like a safari park, where the animals roam free and it's more like we're caged in on the path. But even at any of the places where some absolute idiot might climb the fence or oh i dont know punt one of their offspring over, there are workers there to say step back hands back etc. Perhaps that is the way forward for the zoo in question?
    But honestly the woman literally brings knew meaning to throwing you to the dogs, and her own infant child! It is her responsibility and hers alone in my opinion.

16. considerthis

considerthis PetForums Member

When we worked at the wildlife rescue we helped care for young foxes, I was the only one who had physical contact with one particular cub that was lucky enough to not need stitches. This fella was a cub and only playing at that. So it's hard to imagine a fully grown Africa Wild dog in full attack. I feel bad for the mother and tenfold the little boy but lately it seems that people are passing blame to absolve themselves, like all this nonsense about banning liqui tabs as young kids have been trying to eat them. If people were more responsible for themselves and the people around them these tragedies would be a lot less frequent.

17. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Whilst I think the parent is the one to blame, I think a 4ft fence is too small at that height. They have a similar setup at my local zoo with glass - much safer. I hope the parent looses the case, but I do hope the zoo improves the safety.

18. leashedForLife

i'm not sure. :( Personally, i wonder about the "warm, cuddly" image of the Coco-Cola polar bears.

Also, the many dingbats who become wildly popular on TV & Yoob-Tube :rolleyes: are, i think, a very bad influence -
    the un-real "reality" shows with TurtleMan, "wolf-man" Ellis in the UK, the fella who lived with grizzlies, etc.

Shaun Ellis:
    ellis, wolfman - YouTube

Ernie Brown, Jr., AKA "TurtleMan" on Animal Planet cable-TV channel
    turtleman - YouTube

Kevin Richardson - "Living with Lions", Natl-Geo channel -
    living with lions, richardson - YouTube

Timothy Treadwell, the photographer who stalked grizzlies -
    famously killed with his girlfriend, & partially eaten -
    Grizzly Man (1/9) Movie CLIP - The Kind Warrior (2005) HD - YouTube

Steve Irwin, also dead -
    Steve Irwin's Last Performance - Deadly Crocodile - YouTube

His death was the direct result of getting too dam*ed close to a large stingray, & stalking that animal -
    IOW, harassment.
    Steve Irwin Death Video **Official Footage** - YouTube

"Wild America" Marty Stouffer - who often CREATED his footage, then pretended it was shot in the wild,
    just captured miraculously - :rolleyes: Twit. He also harassed wildlife - he was lucky to live long-enuf to breed, IMO.
    marty stouffer - YouTube
    Nor would i - i've been hurt by large & small domestic species, i've been hurt by wildlings; claws & beaks,
    hooves & horns, teeth & simple collisions - they just hurt, even when they aren't intentional.
    i think it was proximity, & age - they were all 3 in the same neighborhood, & i think in the same school.

It's just too bl**dy bad he didn't find OTHER friends to hang with; praps those jerks would be dead, & he'd
    still be alive - a real shame, IMO. :nonod:

19. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

You forgot that idiot in New Zealand with the big cat "sanctuary" I watched his show once to see him dragging around a clearly unhappy tiger on a chain for some commercial. All I could think was do you know how close that thing is to killing you with one swipe of its paw.

I think people get complacent. There's an exotic rescue series on the tv at the minute all these americans with big cats or primates. I don't know how much is played up for the cameras but people are putting themselves and others in real danger around these animals because they're convinced their pets won't hurt them. I don't care how tame a 500lb tiger may seem you never trust it.

20. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I think the only big cat that can truly be tamed, and that only from a very young age, is a cheetah. We had one of those at Woburn too - a fully grown cheetah who used to wander about the place while waiting for Pets Corner to be built. Those were the days! Unfortunate who the bosses were though.:mad::

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice