Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

treats for puppy training

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by muffinpup, May 26, 2010.

1. muffinpup

muffinpup PetForums Junior

Hi everyone

I want to start training my puppy, he will be 10 weeks on saturday. Is this too early or is earlier better?
    Also what is safe to use for treats? I had a quick look when I went to pets at home last weekend but didn't buy anything as I noticed in small print on the back of one of the packages it said 3 months and older, although the other packs didn't specify a particular age, it put me off getting any just in case they aren't suitable.
    Is it ok to cook a bit of chicken or something and cut it into tiny pieces and use this?
    Thanks

2. ToddyxxMillie

ToddyxxMillie PetForums Member

When Millie was a puppy i gave her the puppy treats from pets at home in a packet they like little biscuits with something in the middle i cant remember what they are called but i think they were in a pink packet and she loved them! or you can use chicken!

3. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

Congratulations on your pup. I'd say the earlier the better with training, we started at 8 weeks when our pup arrived. I think he thought he'd been sent to Boot Camp :lol:

I noticed that on the back of the packets but we used them with Zimba when he was less than 12 weeks and he seems done the worse for wear. I don't know why they say that, choaking maybe?

Now I tend to use cooked chicken. I get the pre-cooked packets you can get from Asda or Tescos (with the ham etc) and tear it into smaller pieces. It works out much cheaper than the treats from [email protected] and he's more motivated by it.

You can also find reciepes from homemade treats on the web.

Best of luck with the training :thumbup:

4. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

I use fresh cooked chicken (also bought pre packed from asda, great minds lol) I also use the kibble I give my pup, he's on WainWrights tray food Turkey and Rice, so use the matching Kibble, he loves it and know I can just reduce his evening meal a bit. I also agree with Polimba training can start straight away, just make the sessions short so your pup doesnt get bored ^_^ good luck.

http://www.petmedsonline.org/homemade-natural-dog-treats-and-dog-food.html

#4 Maz&Oozy, May 26, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  5. muffinpup

Thanks
    I agree, I'm sure he will be ok with the ones you mentioned at pets at home, I'm probobly just being a bit paranoid as we have only just brought him home.
    I'll get some of the pets at home ones to try this weekend and until then, I'll use some chicken.
    I can't wait to try as I'm sure he'll love a treat, he's been a bit hit and miss with eating his own food, even though its what the breeders have been feeding him and he goes nuts trying to get to our food when we are eating.
    Thanks for your help!

6. Kaydees

Kaydees PetForums Newbie

We used the pups food and lots of verbal praise when they were young.

Moved onto raw carrot and celery (much to the dismay of many a labrador that came sniffing at my treat puch)

I now use tiny pieces of tripe stick or dried carrot.

One of my dogs likes nothing better than 'good boy' or a pat on the head - and when he is really good a rub on his chest is his idea of heaven. He is not food orientated in the slightest.

Bit like kids really - they don't know what a treat is until you introduce them to it. I SO wish my mum hadn't introduced me to chocolate :lol:

7. muffinpup

Thanks Maz&Oozy, My pup is also on the wainrights, the breeder gave me some of the Wainrights puppy turkey and rice one, but because he wasn't eating it, i bought wainrights puppy but got a different flavour salmon and potato, he seemed to like it at first but has gone back to not eating much, he is very lively and is doing lots of poo's and wee's so I think he's doing ok.

Thanks again!

8. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule PetForums Senior

When I took the Newfies puppy training, the man recommended that we used Garlic sausage, boy did it work, all the dogs loved the smell and the taste. You can get it really cheaply in Aldi.:thumbup:

9. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

Hotdogs chopped up is another, unless your my pup who hates them and will walk round the room then spit it out at a rate of knots lol

10. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

We used chicken, ham, beef, hot dogs (you can buy them individually from the deli counter), cheese...

Dry food is fine initially if the pup likes it enough to work for it. Not very motivating though in the long run. (Can be useful as a "good" rather than "great!", so you save the higher value rewards for best responses).

We also used raw beef mince - went out one day and realised had forgotten treats so bought some raw mince really cheap rfom the meat stall on the market. Best heelwork I've ever seen lol!

Didn't use many commercial treats with Solo - although I'm using both Natures Menu and Thrive treats to train the cats!

11. muffinpup

Some good ideas there that I hadn't though of!
    Its funny actually as when I went to pick him up from the breeder, I had made our dinner beforehand and hadn't been able to get the smell of garlic off my hands, I was worried when he first smelled my hand he wouldn't like it and run away but he wouldn't stop licking my hands, he loved it.
    So I bet the Garlic sausage would be a real hit!
    If I can get some cheap in Aldi thats even better, I bet it does work out cheaper than buying the bags of puppy treats.
    Thanks

12. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Garlic sausage and hotdogs pieces are great but watch out for the salt content if your pup is small and you're training a lot.

13. muffinpup

gosh I forgot about that, I'll make sure these are kept to a minimum then, I suppose the things you make yourself are the best, at least with cooked plain chicken, I know whats in it.
    Thanks for that!

14. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

A lot of treats are just too big, I find. Luckily they are often soft enough to cut up into more suitable sizes.

I use a lot of Tesco Meaty Strips dog treats - you get 20 in a pack for under a quid, I cut each strip into 14 or 15 bits which makes up to 300 treats. Good value. It's worth being a bit inventive like that :)

15. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Liver cake!!!

Recipe:

1lb Liver
    1/2 lb plain flour
    1 egg
    2 garlic cloves

Liquidize the liver, egg and garlice gradually adding the liver.

Mix with flour in a mixing bowl until you have a paste.

Bake at 200 degrees (gas mark 6) for 40-50 minutes and cut into small pieces.

Freeze until required!!

Easy...piece of cake...literally!!

16. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Bits of cooked chicken, sausage, cheese if your dog doesn't have a dairy intolerance, choc drops he will do anything for those but he doesn't get them much. I've never tried liver cake

17. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We use a mixture of bakers rewards puppy, fresh cooked chicken, cheese, and liver cake. As for cavvies (guessnig due to pic) actually eating their food, mine doesn't always, she goes off food occasionally lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice