Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Treats for puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by CheekoAndCo, Jul 24, 2009.

1. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I'm thinking of some bits I need to buy for puppy and I actually can't think of anything else :eek: So I thought I'd get treats but I'm not really sure about puppies and treats. I got a bag of puppy eukanuba to use as treats but I think that will get a bit boring all the time. Would the JWB mini jacks be ok for a puppy? I make my own treats for Cheeko but I think they could be a bit rich for a pups stomach. O and they would have to be meat and animal derivative free. Thanks :)

2. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

Our treats consist of pigs ears, trotters and marrow bones as shes on a natural food diet

3. CheekoAndCo

Are they safe to give from 8 weeks? Our pet shop doesn't recomend alot of things like that until they are about 5 months but I can't remember what ones it is. I was going to order a big box of pigs ears anyway. What about tripe sticks?

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

For training treats - the smaller the treat the better.
    I cut up tiny pieces of cheese, ham or sausages. for mine it's a lot cheaper than buying special dog treats.
    For keeping them occupied I would buy the pigs ear strips rather than a whole pigs ear and supervise them also stuff a mini kong with water soaked dry dog food.

5. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

For Pippa I use very small pieces of cheese and ham too. I make liver cake for Harvey :D

6. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

Well we've not had a problem, and she absolutly loves them. Tripe sticks are great aswell, but beware, they really smell bad. We usually have to send Sadie out of the room with hers :D

7. Peavy

Peavy PetForums Newbie

Eukanuba uses Vivisection. I would never buy any product from them.

8. CheekoAndCo

We're used to horrible smelling treats anyway :p Can't remember what it's called but there's a really smelly treat that Cheeko loves but we can't stand the smell of it so we don't buy it too often. If we buy it and it smells really bad mum puts it outside for a bit to see if it will make the smell go away a bit :D

The euaknuba was free so I'll only be using that bag and not buying it again. Too expensie to buy anyway. Think it was supposed to be £14 for a 2kg bag.

9. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i made livercake, slow cooked liver, chocolate drops, ham, cheese

:)

10. CheekoAndCo

Maybe a stupid questions but.. Can you buy organic liver? I'm vegetarian so I don't like buying meat atall apart from dog food so if I made liver cake it would only be if I could buy organic liver. I do remember making it once for Cheeko and it was disgusting but I don't think we really followed the recipie right.

11. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Yes i wouldve thought so you can get most meat organic

i cant remember how i made it i followed a website one but it went down well with all the dogs and made loads so i put half in the freezer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice