Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Treat reward

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Bob Ford, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Bob Ford

Bob Ford Pickle the Mud Monster,

I have Pickle a 4yr old GSD female that is food driven at home but out in the fields when I'm trying to get some sorely needed training done she is totally uninterested in fact if I put the treat on her tongue she will spit it out even if there's no distractions She will chase her ball & is not so much possessive but reluctant to leave it or let me have the ball how ever if another dog is to close the interest in her ball goes totally out of the window. She is a working line with a prey drive that is extremely strong & is uncontrollable if she decides to chase bearing in mind I've had numerous training groups try to break her concentration (on the other dog usually) on the target. I have watched & learn't from those trainers & continued with the training but still she will concentrate on the distraction with an unwavering stare.
    I'm at a loss with her I have had many rescue dogs (I've had her from 8wks) & with perseverance I've at least gained some control but not with Pickle.
    Any suggestions! I hope I have explained the issue fully.

#1 Bob Ford, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Sounds like you are not getting the right training?

A dog with a very high prey drive is easy to train as you have the means at your disposal for control ie the ball

How long have you had her?

bogdog, ouesi, Bob Ford and 1 other person like this.
  3. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

It is the dog that chooses the reward not us :)
    You need to find out what motivates her and then go from there...if the food you are using isn't working in some situations then try something higher value (squeezey cheese is a good place to start).

If she is staring other dogs down and won't redirect then you are too close, you need to go back to where she feels comfortable and then work from there.
    This is a good resource for DS/CC which might help. http://careforreactivedogs.com/

Sairy, simplysardonic and Bob Ford like this.
  4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I think you also need to try training that uses her prey drive. She's a Working GSD and needs to be trained as such. Have a look on the internet for how her breed can be trained and what they can do.

Bob Ford likes this.
  5. Bob Ford

I've had her from 8wks, she will loose interest in her ball as soon as she sees another dog no amount of calling or throwing her ball shaking the ball right in front of her nose will break that stare

6. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

What is the end goal? to have her focus on you/the toy instead of the other dog? does she have a distance threshold, so a distance whereby she can remain focused on you/the toy while in the presence of another dog?

It's not abnormal for a dog to place more value on toys versus food. I'd be looking to develop your play/engagement skills.

ouesi, Rudydog and Bob Ford like this.
  7. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Bob Ford likes this.
  8. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

As for breaking her focus, I'm assuming she's on some sort of lead? If she is, just turn her away and walk off in the other direction. Praise her when she focuses on you.

Bob Ford likes this.
  9. Bob Ford

I have used every treat known by far her fav is beef liver she will jump through fire the get a piece & training at home or in group she's brilliant a little to good sometimes even though there's 6 other dogs, it's been like this from 6months. For some reason out in the fields she changes incidentally she looks at farm animals horses cows pigs hens etc & pays virtually no attention preferring her ball. I'm not normally a defeatist but I have to admit she's got me stumped.

10. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Ermmm.... are you reading any of the posts? We are giving you advice on how to deal with it.

11. Bob Ford

I put her on a lead as soon as I see another dog coming our way if they pass close by she will bark & lunge. In the past when I have not seen the other dog or what ever she's after she has raced over & although never ever bitten she looks & sounds extremely aggressive. Her thresh hold is about 60ft ish after that she's over the top & chases or runs to the subject.

#11 Bob Ford, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  12. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

The context of out in the field and training is different to the dog.
    If she is brilliant in a training situation then you have something to go on...you just have to take a few steps back so you can proof the desirable behaviour until you build up to really distracting situations.

At the moment the reward of staring other dogs down far out weighs anything you have offered, so you need to get to a distance where she will concentrate and then work your way up.
    You have found that her ball doesn't cut it with dogs so how about rewarding with a game of tug or some other game that she finds rewarding?

13. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I'm not being rude, I'm asking a genuine question. You don't seem to be paying much attention to what complete strangers are saying to try and help you. Without thanks, I might add.

But fair enough. Good luck to your dog.

14. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

If your dog has behaved like this for the 4 years you have had her, this is going to be a difficult habit to break, have you considered having some professional 1:1 with a reputable trainer?

bogdog, ouesi and Bob Ford like this.
  15. Bob Ford

Yes we had several 1:1's & in the training environment she responded well.

16. Bob Ford

And also I am aware I am at fault due the family illness & my own subsequent health problems but now I fit again I am looking to correct my short comings.

17. Bob Ford

have you considered having some professional 1:1 with a reputable trainer?[/QUOTE]
    Is it possible she feels threatened out in the countryside perhaps a professional 1:1 in her field environment would be another avenue to explore.

18. Bob Ford

My end goal if at all possible is to have a solid recall which I suppose by default is for her to concentrate on me. Play is something I definitely need to do more now I'm back walking properly.

19. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Can I ask which trainers have you used and do you still see a trainer?

What have they advised you to do?

20. Bob Ford

until

Trainers are local Chips Field Somerset training & a few others I can't remember the names of, I used Angela Stockdale for my other dog but she has become to expensive & out of my budget I'm a fraud. The one thing they have advised is to carefully introduce her to other dogs as she appears to settle after a fairly short time I met up with an online friends dog & they were both a lunging but after the initial barking they tolerated each other no playing though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice