Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Travelling with cats on trains or coaches

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MissMiloKitty, Jun 23, 2019.

1. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

I am just wondering if anyone has experience of travelling long distance with a cat on a train or coach? Do British coach companies allow you to travel with pets?
    How did the cat cope with it? And how did you deal with any toileting issues?
    Thanks.

2. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to Sir Scratchalot

I travel by car with Barney every month for a three hour journey each way, not quite the same I know. Despite stopping half way Barney will not eat, drink or go to the toilet. Hes far too interested in seeing where he is and smelling everything!

As a house cat I would like him to learn that he can go toilet outside, this is kind of the opposite problem most people have and I don't know how to solve it!

MissMiloKitty likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi BBC, the best way for him to learn to toilet outside is if he has independent access to the outdoors at home, and a well dug over empty flowerbed to attract him. He is very unlikely to go to toilet while he is on a harness and leash in the garden.

He will not toilet outdoors in a strange place because cats only toilet in places they have chosen for themselves as their toilet areas. These toilet areas are always within their "core" territory (i.e. litter trays in the house), or within their "home" territory, i.e. the area they visit around the home, their outdoor territory. The outdoor territory is not defined by human boundaries such as fences and may cover several neighbours' gardens as well as their own.

If you stop en route on your journey and take him outside on harness and leash, it is extremely unlikely he would ever go to toilet under such circumstances. He might possibly use a litter tray in his crate in the car, if it was urgent and if he felt comfortable to do so. But I wouldn't count on it. ;)

Treaclesmum likes this.
  4. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

@chillminx I have to disagree with your statement that a cat is unlikely to toilet while on a harness and leash.

Ollie toileted in the garden within 10 days of first going out in his harness. He was 4 months old. Screenshot_2019-06-24-08-35-25-902_com.google.android.apps.photos.png And this is a month later, on a regular route outside Screenshot_2019-06-24-08-38-53-146_com.google.android.apps.photos.png Screenshot_2019-06-24-08-39-12-000_com.google.android.apps.photos.png

chillminx likes this.
  5. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

When Phoebe used to go out on the harness it has never occurred to her that outside can be used as a toilet. Sometimes I laughed at her because we would come home and she would ran straight for the litter box as if she's been crossing her legs for a while :Hilarious

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@SbanR - my word! I still learn something new every day on this forum! :D

SbanR likes this.
  7. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Can't help but feel this thread has been a little derailed. Pun intended :D

8. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

What might have helped Ollie was that spot is Jessie's outside toilet area;)

Ps. @BarneyBobCat , have you tried preparing an outside toilet area then sprinkling some of Barney's used litter over the area?

#8 SbanR, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Joy84 and chillminx like this.
  9. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

@MissMiloKitty How long is your planned journey? You sometimes see cat carriers on local buses and trains so it may be that trains are okay, I've never seen one on a coach though. I would think it would be difficult though as if you were going a long distance in a car you could have a larger wire carrier with a litter tray inside, I wouldn't have though that would be practical for public transport. I certainly wouldn't want to risk a harness and letting her have a wander and toilet break if you got off at a station as I would worry she might be scared and slip her harness, miles away from home!

MissMiloKitty and Treaclesmum like this.
  10. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

Years ago when we didn't have a car we did sometimes take our cats on train journeys, we just took them in a cat carrier, but the journey was an hour and a half at most. Many cats don't like travelling at all, it's very stressful for them, and all the more so if it is on public transport where there are many other people around. I agree I would never let my cat out of their carrier in a public place, cat would almost certainly be terrified and try to bolt. Could you tell us more about the journey?

MissMiloKitty likes this.
  11. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

This can be done depending on the rules of the transport operator and the temperament of the cat/the carrier set up. I have been travelling with cats on public transport for year. In fact, the first time I took one to stud, I took her in a front worn carrier with an open top, with her in a cat harness clipped in. She had a really even temperament, so took it all in her stride and watched the world go by. Her daughter was of a more timid disposition. She wanted to know I was there, but not anyone else. For her, I bought a different style carrier, rather like a long tunnel shape. I had made a cover that was solidly dark on all sides except the front. This clipped into a pram frame so that I could move her around with her seeing nobody but me. If someone wanted to say hello, she could move back into the darkness of the carrier and feel safe. My current 2 are different again. Zippy wants to be in her carrier with the door open. If it's closed, she screams. If it's half open, she screams. If she's in a harness, she sulks. The solution for her is to have the door open and a hand on her at all times. I wouldn't recommend this unless you know inside out that your cat will not run. With her, if something startles her, she will always retreat and hide, and I have worked hard to make the carrier her safe place so she's less inclined to leave it. I also travel with a big carrier with her to make it evne safer as she can dive deeper away from the trouble.

With my boy Tango, he shouts and shrieks the whole way to the point that it's actually embarrassing. For him, we have an arrangement where he comes out on a harness, sits on my knee and watches the world go by. If he's a good, well behaved boy and other passengers don't mind, he is allowed to go visit with them on the end of a lead.

You can actually see him travelling in the documentary Cat Show. I took him all over Europe on trains, buses and ferries, and he absolutely wallowed in the experience, loving every minute of it.

12. BarneyBobCat

I have not - will give this a go!

SbanR likes this.
  13. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Ahem! Payment required. Photos of the gorgeous lad please!:p

14. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

It was just a thought I had about taking Miss Milo to visit my mum at some point. The journey would be about 3 and a half hours with one stop. I would be very anxious though, even if Miss M was ok with it.
    I discovered that coaches only permit service dogs so would be the train.
    I probably won't do it. I just wondered if it was doable.

15. BarneyBobCat

Thank you @SbanR
    20190625_074330.jpg

Joy84, chillminx, SbanR and 1 other person like this.
  16. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@BarneyBobCat :

Awwwww, Barney - I love him xxx (great photo BBC)

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  18. Julia1900

Julia1900 PetForums Newbie

I recall a few taxis with cats (just checked in advance). I do also recall Pixie (my cat) having to come over to the Island in my Dad's car (and my 3 pet frogs in their tank). The Isle of Wight ferry was a bit stressful for the cat but, to be fair, I am talking about 20 years ago and there were three people with stranger passengers (not relatives but a goat, a pig and a ferret).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice