Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Travelling on car ferry.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jjmc, Apr 20, 2011.

1. jjmc

jjmc PetForums Member

We're off to Ireland on Friday and I'm looking for some advice regarding what preparation is required for him while he stays in the car for the duration of the crossing (4 hours).

He'll be on the back seat and intention is to place lots of shredded newspaper on the floor in the back in case he needs to go. I shall leave him some water as well, any extra advise is very much welcome.

Thanks

2. Rache

Rache PetForums Senior

We took a chihuahua over to france recently on the ferry. He was in his crate in the back and he just slept the whole time. We left him some water and plenty of blankets as it gets quite cold. We had word with one of the men that directs your car in the ferry and asked him to just look in on him for us (just through the window) He was fine, not a problem at all

3. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Can you definitely not take him out of the car? Don't know what the rules are on the Irish ferries, but when we go over to the Isle of Wight, you can take your dog up onto the top deck (either outside or there are a couple of "doggy sections" where you can sit with your dog?

Of course, this could be different for Ireland, but worth looking into if you haven't already.

4. FEJA JUODAS

FEJA JUODAS Banned

don't know about irish ferries but i had to leave pup in car going to france yes

intend coming over soon with my adult dog and not happy as the pup shat all over the place in stress in the car that time sigh

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

If possible get him used to being left in the car now.
    Just like crate training start off with a few minutes and build up the time gradually.
    If there is room have his bed/crate or at least a blanket from his bed to sleep on.
    Also you could try a DAP collar or similar to calm him.

I know when we go to France we are taking the Tunnel as then I'll be in the car with them - shame there's not an Irish Tunnel.

6. jjmc

jjmc PetForums Member

We were working on leaving him in the car on his own and slowly increasing the duration, however with the weather so hot at the moment we had to stop.

He's got the back seat to himself, so will have his sleeping cage/crate in there along with blankets he uses for daytime snooze on the bookshelf in the kitchen.

No idea what a DAP collar, off to google it.

Many thanks

7. jjmc

jjmc PetForums Member

Well we're back from 12 wonderful days in Ireland.

Ted was brilliant on the boat, 4.5 hours on his own in the car there and back. Both OH and I were really worried, but he was a real trooper. When we got back to the car he was flaked out on his back fast asleep on the driver seat with four legs in the air.

On the way back he was again on the driver seat snoozing away. I take my hat off to him, for he was very cool and collective despite having two dogs in people carrier close to us barking their heads off. In addition the kennels were on the same level and lots of barking from there as well.

We covered 1,500 miles in total and he sat in the back of the car as happy as larry all the time. Very proud indeed.

8. rona

rona Guest

Glad it went ok. Are we going to get to see some of the photos? :D

9. FEJA JUODAS

FEJA JUODAS Banned

sounds good. 4 hours no wetting or stress left in car is good.

10. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

I have been looking out for you posting about how you got on.

We are doing a similar trip with Molly in two weeks 3 hours on the boat (Stranraer to Belfast) and then a 5 hour drive. I don't have any issues with her in the car whilst I am driving as she just sleeps but was worried about the boat, noises etc and the possible cold, did you do anything to make him comfy whilst on the boat?

Thanks

11. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

You can book a kennel on Irish Ferries which is outside the car deck and is accessible throughout the journey. They also have CCTV which you can watch from the main decks.

12. jjmc

jjmc PetForums Member

We simply put lots of paper on the floor in the back, with some water as well.

We decided not to leave any treats/chews/toys just in case something went wrong.

The only thing we did do was to walk him for as much as we could before we got on the ferry, also met a lot of other people with the same concerns which was very reassuring.

BTW, halfway to our destination in Ireland he woke up, walked around a lot and also looked at us a lot, we stopped real quick and he immediately did his business.

Good luck with the journey.

13. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

Hi thanks for your advice, we are looking to get down to Stranraer early so we can get her walked and settled before we go onto the boat and we will stop on the other sidea few times as we are going to Clare so a fairly longer journey.

Where did you head to?

14. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My breeder regulary travels with dogs from Stranraer to Belfast for shows. In fact they only traveled back yesterday with a 12 week old pup from our litter. I'm sure she told us if we ever go over with dogs in the car to tell them you have dogs and you can go on one of the last cars and be put somewere were you are one of the first to get off. This is because when all the cars are in the hold with their engines running the fumes build up so they get the dogs off first.

It was a while ago she told me this I presume it is still right. Her dogs travel just fine although being show dogs and living in Ireland the dogs are used to long journeys in the car.

15. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

Hi freyja, thanks very much for your advice. I am going to phone stena today and see if it what you said is possible as it would put my mind at rest. I am sure molly will be fine but I can't help worrying.

16. jjmc

jjmc PetForums Member

We went to a place called Ardmore in Co. Waterford. Our journey was pretty long, 225 miles to Fishguard and a further 80 miles or so to Ardmore.

17. jjmc

jjmc PetForums Member

We travelled with Stena and on the way back we upgraded to priority which gets one on the boat early and off first. It was not much use getting on early, however as we were running late there was no problem, but getting off the boat early was brilliant, plus the priority lounge was very comfortable indeed.

Forgot to say in earlier post, Clare is a lovely place, long time since I've been there but have some fond memories of Galway, Clare and Mayo.

18. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

That's pretty hood that you got upgraded, maybe we will be as lucky! We are going to try and get there early so molly has plenty of time to do her business.

My mam and dad live in clare so heading over to them, we have done the journey before but this is the first time with a dog.

19. jjmc

jjmc PetForums Member

Oops, possible misleading post from me, Stena are nice people but not as nice as to upgrade up because of Ted. We chose the upgrade when booking, think it was an extra £15 for the two of us, well worth it in my opinion.

20. JudithB

JudithB PetForums Newbie

Hoping to take our dog on Belfast - Stranraer ferry for the first time this Easter. He usually loves the car and shouldn't be a problem leaving him in it while on board, but my question is - when we get back to the car, is there anywhere we can go with him if he needs to toilet or do we wait until we get on land and have to pull up somewhere? We'll be towing our caravan and it's not always easy to find a parking space, so would need to be thinking about where to stop. I'm sure this is a really daft question, sorry :blush2:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice