UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lady at work was just telling me how she is hoping to rescue a cat from her relative who lives away. She does not drive and does not have anybody who can take her. The weekend she is going is the weekend I am showing, otherwise i’d have taken her. :mad:
She mentioned going on the train to collect him. What do you guys think of this? Have you/would you ever transport a cat on a train? The journey would be about 4 hours, which is quite a way. She suggested she could take him with a litter tray to the toilets from time to time for a leg stretch and to use the tray. Apparently he is quite obsessive about using the tray so that could work. I know if I did it with my Thomas he would use the tray so suppose its an option.

Obviously this is far from ideal but I am not sure what other options she has if she is going to rescue this cat. It is the brother of her current cat which I think is why she is set on taking him in.

I mentioned trying to organise a kitty run but she wasn’t keen on the idea as she said she is not on great terms with her cousin and wanted to smooth things over while there.

What do you lot think of this? Do you have any other suggestions that I could pass on to her?

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
one of my kittens has gone to its new home on the train.
it was 2 and half hours with a train swap half way. i ensured the kitten wasnt fed for 2 hours before the journey and aslong as you use a covered cat carrier you will find the cat should sleep on the journey.

there is also a pet courier service available, he is a gccf steward and very good. the names hallspetservice and his name is len (i think) will have to check.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Should be fine without having to use litter tray, I'd just take along spare puppy pads and newspaper just in case of any accidents, then you can clear up swiftly.

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
I took one of mine from Hereford to yorkshire on a train and she was absolutely fine in a covered carrier with reassurance. I've done that journey many times with different cats, and not once have I had a problem. I'd not take them out of the carrier to use a tray though. Just put some incontinence pads in the bottom of the carrier, then whip them away if he wees or poos. Much easier and far less stressful on the cat.

G

·
A lady at work was just telling me how she is hoping to rescue a cat from her relative who lives away. She does not drive and does not have anybody who can take her. The weekend she is going is the weekend I am showing, otherwise i'd have taken her. :mad:
She mentioned going on the train to collect him. What do you guys think of this? Have you/would you ever transport a cat on a train? The journey would be about 4 hours, which is quite a way. She suggested she could take him with a litter tray to the toilets from time to time for a leg stretch and to use the tray. Apparently he is quite obsessive about using the tray so that could work. I know if I did it with my Thomas he would use the tray so suppose its an option.

Obviously this is far from ideal but I am not sure what other options she has if she is going to rescue this cat. It is the brother of her current cat which I think is why she is set on taking him in.

I mentioned trying to organise a kitty run but she wasn't keen on the idea as she said she is not on great terms with her cousin and wanted to smooth things over while there.

What do you lot think of this? Do you have any other suggestions that I could pass on to her?
I have taken Cuddles my cat by tube everytime she goes to the Blue Cross in Victoria and it doesn't bother her, she enjoys all the attention from the other passengers, and I have also taken her down to Brighton by train from London, she loved looking out of the window on the way in her carry box as well as her holiday chatting to the seagulls and not pegions for a change :)

I think the cat your colleague from work is rescuing will be ok travelling by train

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.