Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Traveling with clover - not going well

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by tinaK, Apr 1, 2011.

1. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

Some of may remember I have issues with clover and traveling. As we don't have a car she has to get used to it as we are hoping to travel up North at the end of April.

She has dorwest compound when we travel, and it was suggested I try and build up with short journeys.. well it hasn't worked. She tries to get of the platform when waiting for the train, when we get on the train she pants the all time, her eyes go wide and ears go back.

She had Zylkene when she was younger to help with her SA, but I'm not sure if it actually worked, I know the dorwest did, but doesn't for the traveling. I hate seeing her so upset. Friends say she just has to get used it it. Please can anyone help me to help her :(

2. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I had a springer that didn't travel well and displayed similar symptoms to those you mention and I found she was much happier if she could get her nose near an open window - it certainly stopped the panting and calmed her down.

Sorry I can't be much more help. :(

3. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

Will try that.. just hard on a train :(

4. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

This is one of these situations that is more difficult to work on, in the sense that it is not an everyday occurrence, yet it is vital when the need comes, i.e. when you need to travel!

To work on the behaviour in training, I would find out what she is specifically not happy about. Is it all forms of travelling? Or is it just the train?

I would start by just taking her to a train station and spend time outside/inside on the platforms building positive associations- using a clicker or just feeding her treats/playing some toy games whenever she's calm. Try to keep her focused and not too worked up. If she's dying to get away, you need to start at a more comfortable distance/area for her. Eventually, you can sit with her on the platform without her getting too worked up.

The next step would be to actually get on a train and practise similar positive association routines, reinforcing the calm behaviour. But this is hard because trains are not very good props in training as they obviously serve other uses! So, you may need to use a combination of positive association methods and dorwest compound/Zylkene to help keep her calm-ish to build positive associations.

It's a tricky one!

5. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

At P@H we used to buy these treats with a gooey centre, I think they had chamomile in them, as although Holly was used to car journeys, we weren't sure how she'd be for the 5 hour drive from my OH's to my house. I can't remember what they were or if they would work for you.

6. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

Thanks all. I've done the building it up for weeks now, to no avail. She just isn't getting any better. It's not just trains, but buses too. Even walking on the path on our walks, she gets scared.. so guessing it all the noise.

Will look for those treats :)

7. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I remember and am sorry to hear that you have not seen an improvement, no useful advice from me (as per usual :eek:) I am afraid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice