Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Traveling with cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Eva & Maxim, May 18, 2019.

1. Eva & Maxim

Eva & Maxim PetForums Newbie

In have one and half year old mail main coon. He is a lovely friendly cat. I will be going out of the country for a month. I do not want to put him into a Cattery for the whole month. I have two options, one that a friend of mine will come and feed him at the house or second that I will take him with me in a car to my country house in Europe. He has been vaccinated and has a passport. I do not know if he will settle in a different environment and do not know what to do. Any advice?
    Thank you.

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to this forum!

If your friend only comes in for feeding him that’s definitely the worst possible option. He‘d be alone for a month with only an hour‘s or so company per day. :eek:
    If she will spend time with him, play and sit down of an evening for reading or watching TV so that he gets some hours company each day that would be something different. Then his own territory would probably be best for him.

You don’t say how long the journey will take. If it is a stressful long journey and he doesn’t travel well it won’t be very nice to go through for just a month.

Your cat‘s character is important, also. Is he very territorial, is he very bonded to you, as said: does he travel well?
    So we‘d need a lot more information to help you there.

The cattery would appear as quite a good option to me if the friend won’t spend some quality time with him daily.

sandy-cat, AmsMam and chillminx like this.
  3. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Given that he's a Maine Coon and an only cat, he will struggle to cope without you. I would take him with you. They're not the kind of breed that can manage without their person

4. Eva & Maxim

Thank you very much for your help and advice. The journey in the car will take around 12 hours, he is very attached to me. I feel at this stage that I will take him with me.

5. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Member

I would go for cattery or take him. As others have said it would be a long lonely month at home.

I am putting my little monster in a cattery for two weeks in July. Very nervous about it and have got great advice on here.

6. Eva & Maxim

I am back with another question. If anyone has experience with travelling with a cat in a car would you give me some tips on feeding the cat or toilet? The car journey is probably about 12 hours non stop. This is my first! So quite nervous not knowing how to handle this. I will not be the driver I will be the passenger.

7. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

12 hours? you really have to stop at least twice to offer the cat water, and once for food. What will your transport arrangements be for the cat - will he be in a carrier, if so how large? For 12 hours I'd suggest a larger cage rather than a carrier, so he has room to move around, plus a litter tray and space for you to give him food and water.

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Many years ago I made a 6 hour car journey with my 4 cats. The car was a hatchback and I folded down the back seat and managed to fit in 2 cages (dog crates) which were each large enough to contain a small litter tray as well as room for the cats to move about, stand up and stretch, or lie down.

On the floor of the crates I put puppy pads, 3 layers deep. So if one of the cats vomited, or peed/pooed away from the litter tray I could stop the car, reach into the crate and remove the soiled puppy pad, leaving clean pads underneath. This turned out to be a very useful precaution.

I stopped once every hour for 15 minutes to offer water to the cats and to give them a break from the movement of the car. None of them would drink water, which is not surprising, as cats tend not to eat or drink when they feel worried or unsure of what is happening. Cats have a low thirst drive anyway, and do not always realise they are becoming dehydrated when they are not eating.

If your cat is used to travelling long distances by car, you may have better success in getting him to drink (or eat) en route. For a 12 hour journey it is important he drinks water or eats some wet food, to prevent dehydration. Especially if the weather is warm.

sandy-cat likes this.
  9. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Many cats won’t use a tray or drink while travelling. Some will if you stop about half way and let the cat out in the car to stretch their legs.
    12 hours isn’t a huge amount of time to be travelling. Your cat will likely just settle down and sleep along the way.

We feed our cats a small meal very early in the morning of a big journey (which can take 24+ hours depending where they’re going), and they’re fine until they arrive at the other end, eating a proper meal and using their tray on arrival.

Hopefully he’s been properly crate trained as a kitten so not bothered by his carry box.

Rufus15 likes this.
  10. Eva & Maxim

Thank you very much, your replies were very helpful.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice