Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

traveling with a new kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by clownfrog, Dec 16, 2020.

1. clownfrog

clownfrog PetForums Newbie

i am going to pick up a new kitten soon (January) but the only problem is the kitten is quite a ride away from us 2hrs 30mins ish.

Is this too far to travel with an 8 week old kitten?

dose anyone have any tips for traveling with cats?

anything you know about traveling with cats would be appreciated
    thank you

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Years ago I collected two 13 week old kittens by car from a location 3.5 hours drive away from me. I took a folding dog crate with me opened on the folded down back seats of the car and put a blanket, a litter tray and a bowl of water in the crate. I also put puppy pads in the crate in case of toilet accidents.

I carried the crate into the breeder's house and we put the kittens inside and then both carried the crate to the car and put it in. The journey home went fine. However I recommend keeping your speed below 60 mph. My kittens became upset by the wind noise if I drove faster than that.

In fact my kittens did not use their litter tray or drink any water during the journey. So I could have managed with a large carrier for them or a separate carrier for each kitten.

Use the puppy pads though , in case of toilet accidents en route. Layer the pads 2 or 3 deep, so that if there is an "accident" you can stop somewhere safe and reach in (with car doors and windows kept safely closed! ) and remove the soiled pad from the top of the pile.

clownfrog and Psygon like this.
  3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Whenever I have to transport my cats by car I have found that playing classical music on the car radio seems to help - the drivers who collect/deliver/transport the cats at the rehoming centre where I volunteer have all found the same thing, especially if the station is playing Mozart ! Who knew that cats are into the classics ?:D

spotty cats and clownfrog like this.
  4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

While it's not that far of a journey and one we don't make any special arrangements for with no issues (we routinely make such journeys), 8 weeks is much too young for the kitten to be leaving mum & littermates. 12-13 weeks is the minimum age for rehoming.

clownfrog likes this.
  5. Travfurler

Travfurler PetForums Newbie

Hello,

Not sure if you have already made this journey, but if we can help advise in anyway then please reach out to us at Travfurler, and ask for Kimberley. That goes for anybody else struggling to travel with cats/kittens. We don't just sell products but are happy to simply advise where we can. Good luck with this and we hope it went smoothly!

Travfurler.

clownfrog likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice