Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Travel Tips-In cabin & cargo

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Micky, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Micky

Micky PetForums Newbie

Anyone who has traveled w/a pet has valuable knowledge. Please share and help us newbies survive the experience!!:crazy:

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I just flew all my animals a few weeks ago. They were all in the cargo though. Get the animals used to the carriers first I already gave you advice for this. Where are they flying the cargo or in the cabin?

3. Micky

Micky PetForums Newbie

Nicky,
    Thanks so much for the encouragement!
    He will be in the cabin with me. I got the softsided carrier (on wheels) that is a pretty good size. I think it will squish down under the seat. He is only about 3.5lbs and will be 12wks old on the day we fly. I am flying alone & have a 2 hour leg from El Paso, TX to Houston and then from Houston to Tampa I have a 2 hr and 15 min flight. Unfortunately or fortunately (??) we have only a 45 min layover in Houston. They have a pet relief area there but I don't know if I will have enough time to take him out for a walk. Maybe that would be good and maybe not??
    I have seen several things about withholding food & water. Is this wise with a puppy as well?
    We have a vet appointment for his health certificate on Fri and I thought I would ask him for advice as well.
    Thanks again,
    Micky

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

You shouldn't feed him before if you're flying in the morning skip breakfast, in the evening feed him breakfast. We put ice chips in the water bowl in the crate so the water wouldn't splash everywhere and they couldn't drink a huge amount at once. I would try with such a young puppy to take him out in Houston and go to the bathroom at least. They with hold food and water to stop them messing the crates but a 12 week old puppy can't hold it for more than 3 hours max.
    Is the carrier IATA approved? They generally ask they're either in the solid vari-kennels or in the cabin in a Sherpa bag. I would have bought the smallest carrier personally its better that they don't move around much on the plane helps relax them more.

#4 Nicky09, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  5. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

Here in Australia animals can only travel as cargo.

When we moved from the bottom of Oz to the top I had a crate specially built to accommodate my Deerhound Weyland as hire crates were not tall enough for him to stand up in comfort. My sixteen year old cat Miz Amy Needles came on the same flight in a cat carrier. I spent the whole flight worrying about them but they were both fine.

It's important to get a direct flight. No stopovers. I've seen dogs waiting for a conecting flight left in cages on trolleys in the hot sun. Not good.

The advice given by my Vet was not to feed before the flight and never use sedatives.

Since then I've had a 9 week old Sheltie pup flown up from Sydney and a young adult Whippet from Brisbane. Both travelled well and were fine on arrival.

I always use Quantas as they are a reputable airline. I avoid the cheaper flights.

If I had the choice I would love to have my animals fly in the cabin with me. Wonder what they would think of a huge Deerhound sprawled out on the floor.:D

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Someone actually said dogs are people in furry suits and should be given seats my dogs that wouldn't be much of a problem but when my friend flew an english mastiff, akita, gsd and basset hound that could have been interesting I just had to ask how exactly the person proposed they got them into airline seats. We couldn't take a direct flight Belfast- New Zealand wouldn't have been fair on any of us let along the animals but none of them were left out in the sunshine.

7. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

8. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

Are there any carriers that will fly pets in the cabin on domestic UK flights (or even Europe for that matter)? From Belfast. My boyfriend is in England, I am here and I'd love to be able to take my pooch over in an efficient way. At present if I wanted to bring him over I'd need to use the ferry that would take an age and he is no where near Liverpool either.

9. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Within the UK I think DEFRA insists that the animals have to fly in the cargo sorry. You could always fly him in the cargo its not all that different.

10. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

It's definitely a possibility. Do you know if they charge the earth for this? The dog in question is a 4lb Chihuahua, so not big at all.

11. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

No you're talking a tiny carrier this is the one we had for the cat but its the size recommended for toy dogs
    Sky Vari Kennel small
    And then the actual fees aren't too much either.

12. uShipPets

uShipPets PetForums Newbie

A few helpful tips when your looking to transport your pet to a new location through a courier or shipping service:

Make sure your pet has a roomy carrier or crate that is accepted by the courier service. You want your pet to be able to sit, lay down, and stand in the crate. Also be sure it is well ventilated.

Provide your pet with the essentials. Provide your pet with adequate food and water the day before the move, allowing them to skip meals on the day of the move so they don't need a constant bathroom break.

Provide your pet with comfort. Place their favorite toy or blanket in their carrier and one of your t-shirts so they are comfortable and have a sense of familiarity with them during the trip.

Choose the proper courier. Fully research the company you will be selecting and be sure to read reviews and customer feedback from people who have used their pet transportation services before.

Be prepared if transporting your pet across country borders. Many countries have different regulations and may require health certificates and paperwork from your vet. Have this prepared far enough in advance so you have everything together the day of the trip.

If you will be traveling with your pet by car, many of these tips are good to keep in mind as well. Also be sure to stop every hour or two to allow your pet a bathroom break and a chance to stretch out outside of the car and their carrier or crate. If your traveling with your pet by air be sure to read up your specific airline's guidelines for pet travel as they may be different for each.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice