Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Trash bag kitty

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dcforeman, Mar 25, 2014.

1. dcforeman

dcforeman PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

I opened my front door yesterday to discover the most tragically cute sight I've ever seen. The kitty is fine, but what an unusual place to hide from the weather!

Please watch it at Trash bag kitty - YouTube because words can't really describe it.

:crying::001_tt1::crying::001_tt1::crying::001_tt1::crying::001_tt1:

2. jessica93

jessica93 PetForums Senior

Awwwwww hes gorgeous!!!:001_tt1:

3. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

What a gorgeous boy. If it is the son of your cat why is it sleeping rough?
    Welcome to the forum

4. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

Aww bless him, such a clever boy! Has he got a home?

5. rox666

rox666 PetForums Senior

Poor thing - does he have a home? I can't watch that video and feel anything other than sad. I know some cats like been outside any weather but he didn't seem to be enjoying the rain. Was that a box of the dreaded Go Cat?

6. dcforeman

I'm pretty sure he has a home :) he's very well groomed and a rather hansom feller. We have lots of cats roaming around here, there's at least 14 in my back yard alone, all very social. It's kitty paradise.

I don't know where Nemesis (that's his name, because he's a bit aggressive towards the other cats as you can see from his scratched up poor nose) comes from but he's been a regular powler around here for a few years. It's always looked well fed.

But lets face it, chicken bones are like gold to kitties, they love to chew the ends off. He was likely drawn to the irresistible smell.

I say he's the son of my cat, because he too is something of a roamer, and was never fixed (he was such a relaxed sociable cat there was never any need too). Also their markings are very nearly identical! He likes to hang around his fathers place from time to time, and I've seen them both staring at each other on the wall, maybe they know they are related? Or maybe it's just one Tom lazily sizing up another. Having said that, Nemesis will quickly establish his dominance with all the other cats, but seems completely relaxed around my own. It's all guess work of course who really knows what they are aware of, and what thoughts are in their little heads?

Anyway I think he's just a very clever cat who thought "It's raining, it's dry in there, it smells like yummy chicken... I'll take a nap here!"

7. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Your video is very sweet and he is certainly a gorgeous looking cat.

However, the bit I have bolded above ^^^^^ - there is ALWAYS a need to get your cats fixed. Visit any rescue centre and see how many cats they have due to people not getting their cats fixed. Your cat may not be aggressive but he can still inpregnate and so adds to the continuing problem of too many cats and not enough homes.

I do not wish to preach at you but would ask you to give consideration to getting your cat neutered. You will not solve the problem of too many cats but at least you will not be adding to it. :)

8. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

hi and welcome to the forum :)

a very clever cat and looks very happy and healthy i like the way he didn't eat the bones but stripped them pretty good and chucked them outside of his nice tidy dry bed :)
    however i would also like to say i o agree with moggybaby as in your cat has probably done his bit now for giving us wonderfully beautiful cats to care for and rescue ,

also i could never condone leaving cooked chicken bones in black bag were cats or wildlife can reach as they can splinter and cause serious damage :( not having a go as i imagine it was a one off situation ,

you seem like a real cat lover and i liked how you respected his space and gave him time so as not to scare him and some food too :)

would love to see your cat on here too :)

9. dcforeman

Here's some photos of my cat, this is Ginger the father of nemesis.

Attached Files:

10. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

he is the daddy :D, wow you can see he's had a happy full life ;)

[​IMG]

beautiful cat , i know this wont be popular but without the roving romeo romers we wouldnt have any cats other than peds but we do have a lot of them and with kitten season upon us i think we have to be careful , i would love to have a breeding pair but then i know i would be a responsible person and have tests and ensure good homes and be prepared to keep kittens also , but the cost of it all and the fact i live in a flat makes it imossible for me to do that so i just keep neuter myself for now , i do believe its up to the females owners to keep in when in season if they cannot cope with raising kitts responsibly ,

your lad is lovely what age is he now ?

11. dcforeman

He is about 10 now.

He came to me from a somewhat abusive family. They bought him as a kitten to give to their little girl. She used to carry him around like a teddy bear. He's front paws over her arms and back legs dangling free with the most grumpy expression on his face ever.

Soon after he became a streak of greased lightening every time they left the door open, he just wanted out of it. I'm a quiet guy and because I work from home it means he's got a very nearly constant companion. So every time he escaped I'd just leave my door open and he'd come make himself at home. The owners were not very happy about it, but I found ignoring them was the best approach, and letting them recapture him. Eventually they just got sick of his escape attempts and let him stay here. He's been happy ever since.

He's a rather smart cat. The laser point is a great example of this, every other cat looks at the dot. He looks at the dot, then looks straight at me.

I tried giving him puzzles, like putting a but of chicken underneath an upside down bowl, other cats pawed at it, circled it, and eventually got to it.

Ginger sits on top of the bowl and STARES AT ME until he guilt trips me enough into doing it for him. He's incredibly patient, quite slow in his ways, and watches everything.

I asked about getting my cat tied, rather than castrated. The local vets around here wouldn't do it. I'm happy to basically give him a feline vecetamy, because that leaves his hormones, urges, and personality unchanged. Full castration, which is the common practice for cats, is to my mind only something you'd do to the worst kind of sex offender. My cat isn't a sex offender so why the hell should I treat him like one?

The cat population isn't that bad around here, because we're in a densely urbanised area, all kittens get adopted. One lady across the road has 7, if there was a stray kitty around here she'd adopt the thing herself. But as a result most families have cats and the cats get to pick and chose who they come home too. I don't see any cats in poor health, who are not looked after and if I did I'd befriend them and find them a decent home.

I accept people won't like that I don't like chopping my cats nuts off, but he's a brilliant cat living a good healthy cat life. I don't want to increase his chances of feline depression and obesity just because chopping his nuts off is convenient for us humans.

12. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

i laughed at the stories of his cleverness :p on top of the chicken bowl was the best :D

i felt the same as you about neurering which is why my 3yr old boy was a late neuter but i live in the city very over-populated with cats that people think its ok to give them up cos they not cute anymore or they having a baby now or they wee'd in the house :( the rescues here and in most citys are full and most have waiting lists to get in ,

i love the life your cat is having and as long as there are homes enough to warrant it thats fine by me , and the off spring may end up being neutered anyway so as the problem dosent escalate to a point where it does become problematic

edit sorry i just read my last line , lol i sound like a school teacher, im not lol

#12 moggiemum, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  13. Lunabuma

Lunabuma PetForums VIP

You need to buy a proper bin so that your cat, other cats or animals don't become injured on stuff In the trash or choke on cooked bones. It made me wince seeing him climb over the tin can.

He did look very cute there though. Thank you for sharing please stick around.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice