Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Trapping a cat

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Bigsize9foot, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Bigsize9foot

Bigsize9foot PetForums Member

Hi
    Some of you may have seen m previous post about a cat in my area that has been terrorising my cats. It fights badly with them and we’ve had 4 vet trips costing over £300.
    I have tried to find the owner of this cat and in doing so have uncovered a lot of other neighbours also having trouble with this cat fighting theirs, howling all night and spraying profusely up doors and on door steps etc.
    I spoke with both the cats protection league and a local charity cat action trust. CPL were reluctant to do much. CAT have given me a trap to try and catch the cat so they can scan it for a chip and possibly neuter it and release it again.
    The cat will not be caught. It has been back to my door howling but shows no interest in either food or the trap.
    Has anyone any experience of trapping a cat that could share tips? I’ve moved the trap to the back door where I’ve seen the cat last two nights.
    Thanks
    B

2. Saffy Cat

Saffy Cat PetForums Member

I can sympathise with a neighbourhood bully cat. That’s really stressful.

No experience with traps but apparently very smelly contents help, sardines, valerian, catnip. I’m guessing you’ve tried this already? Is the trap big enough?

It might be well fed(?) so maybe not interested in food or savvy about traps.

Bigsize9foot and lorilu like this.
  3. Saffy Cat

Saffy Cat PetForums Member

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Keeping the trap out there will allow him to get used to it. You might cover it with a towel, especially one that's been rubbed around areas where he sprays. Change the food choice every day until you find one that lures him in.

Saffy Cat and Bigsize9foot like this.
  5. Bigsize9foot

Really helpful tips- thank you.
    It is very stressful as I don’t feel I can let me cats out and they are miserable. My male has a heart condition and I just fear for him. The odd time I let them out my heart is in my mouth.
    I feel sorry for the rogue cat. Everyone hates it. It just needs to get neutered and hopefully it will calm down. I worry someone will turn on it. Will keep trying.

TriTri likes this.
  6. Bigsize9foot

Will try the towel. Plenty of places to get its scent! :)

7. Quartermass

Quartermass PetForums Senior

Smearing the bait will make it take a larger surface area, so smell more. Maybe something like a frizbee or similar could be thinly covered in smellier food in the hopes of attracting his nose rather than just a lump of food.

Good luck and well done for being the person that deals with it and for doing it compassionately.

TriTri, chillminx and Bigsize9foot like this.
  8. Bigsize9foot

UPDATE- I have finally caught the cat :) The poor boy was terrified and a bit battered looking. He is not microchipped. Cat Action trust have castrated him and checked him over. Unfortunately he cannot be rehomed at present as there are no outdoor homes available and he is too smelly and untame to be rehomed into an actual home. He will be released back to our area and we will see how the next few weeks are. Hopefully he should become less aggressive and less smelly and more tame and then they will consider rehoming him. I am not sure what will happen if he continues to be problematic.

I am just wondering if it would be safe to let my cats out now. Does anyone have experience of this?

Saffy Cat and sandy-cat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice