Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Transporting Dog Via Bicycle

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Buggles, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

I don't drive and often use my bicycle rather than catching the bus (saves money and burns off the calories!). There are a lot of nice places around here to walk dogs, but it requires walking to the place first. Alfie is only little (shih tzu) so will tire before we even start our walk properly!

Can you think of some way of me being able to transport him using my bicycle? Somebody reccommended a rucksack but that wouldn't be very comfortable for either of us! Another option is one of those bike trailers you can get for kids, which is a fab idea but a little too expensive (around £100 even on ebay).

Any other suggestions??

2. zanussi

zanussi PetForums Member

My friend's brother in Oz used to take his little poodle in a rucksack on his motorbike. The dog loved it when he'd get the bag out and would happily climb into it and relax. He had a huge smile on his face when the wind was blowing through his hair!

If you do go for one of those trailers make sure that you can secure the dog inside it- you don't want him jumping out when you're on the road.

3. davehyde

davehyde Banned

dont know if you can still get them,but we had a bike with a front basket when i was a kid.

put in there but strapped in of course so he cant jump out.

the risks may be a little more if you came off or got knocked off but i wouldnt sweat that, just be extra careful.

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

personally i dont like the trailers as they are behind you and you cant see the dog. ok for shopping but a dog lol.

5. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Can you get maybe I've seen these for motorbikes things to put on the back that can fit in a small dog only the head out of it. It looked pretty secure to me not sure if you can get them for bikes though.

6. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

That was one of my concerns regarding the trailers. I've not had a look at one so don't know if they have seatbelts (would presume so). If so, I would attach his car harness to the seatbelt.

I could try a large rucksack and see what happened. He's only 15 weeks at the moment so would hopefully adapt quite easily.

7. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

You can get proper bike baskets for on the handle bars for small dogs. They are about £50 and look very comfy.

8. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

#8 Fleur, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  9. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice