Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Transitioning a cat with IBD to raw - a diary.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Forester, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

Thanks @lorilu :) I have been extra stressed over the last couple of days but who knows ? I am also wondering whether totting up Dylan's monthly " totals" is counterproductive. It's making it very difficult for me to put each "incident" behind me . Maybe I need to look forward instead of trying to work out what's gone wrong.

2. Forester

Whilst mixing Dylan's supplements into his meat yesterday evening I developed a theory to explain the recent spate of vomits. I've been measuring the dose of B vits by dissolving a set amount of vitamins in a known volume of water. I suddenly realised that my "solution" had a sediment at the bottom, resulting in recent doses containing more vitamins than earlier ones. I've diluted this sediment a little . . . . and Dylan hasn't been sick since.

Fingers crossed. . . . . .

3. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

I love that you know your boy so well Forester...and I love that you never stop trying to find answers to things. Dylan is so very lucky to have found you. I mean, who else would have looked st the bottle and thought it’s probably the sediment in the bottom? Here’s to more vomit-free days.

Forester likes this.
  4. Forester

Thanks , Mrs F :). I do think that I was right about the B vitamins. Dylan hasn't been sick again since I diluted the mixture a little.

As for knowing this boy well, I know that he's had issues with numerous foods which are high in B vits. Earlier in the transition I spent months trying to find a source of Choline which was tolerated . I failed, utterly. :(. I'm aware that the recipe I'm using doesn't honestly supply the full requirement of B vits .They should come from from liver, other organs, and eggs , all of which Dylan doesn't tolerate.The person who formulated Dylan's bespoke vit/ min supplement compensated for the lack of organ meat by including iron and copper but didn't increase the B vits.

Dylan's B vit mixture includes choline in the form of choline bitartrate ( all B vit supplements seem to ) which is something which Dylan has reacted to previously. I knew that it was going to be a risky inclusion ( in terms of tolerance ) but I thought that I might get away with it in a low quantity . It seems that I have to keep that quantity low to prevent issues.

After 6 years with Dylan, I've learned to look at the minutiae rather than the bigger picture.:rolleyes:

Mrs Funkin likes this.
  5. Forester

Dylan's vomit total for April was 10, disappointing but hey ho I'm doing my best. I just have to accept it and move on. In comparison, last April's total was 6 and the previous year's ( pre raw ) was 12.

I am starting to acknowledge that he's deteriorating, however that's no reason to give up my fight. If anything, he needs my efforts more now than he's ever done.

I've worked his phage prebiotic up to the recommended dose however I believe that he's struggling a little with the iron. I've dropped back down from 40% to 30% of the target dose and intend to stay at this level for a while, in order for him to acclimatise. I'm not inclined to change the form of iron I'm using ,ferrous bisgylcinate , because my research has indicated that this is the formula least likely to cause digestive issues.

I am concerned about Dylan's kidney function but will follow my vet's advice to wait another couple of months before repeating the urine test. I do understand my vet's reluctance to do blood tests at the moment. A previous blood test caused Dylan to wet himself at the time , and for his vomiting to flare for weeks afterwards. I'm already giving Dylan calcium carbonate as a calcium source which can act as a phosphate binder to some extent, and I'm feeding kidney friendly strains of probiotics.

Dylan does not appear bothered by his increased vomiting so I will continue to do what I've always done - try to make each day as enjoyable as possible for him.

We're so so on the constipation front. I had been trying to reduce the Lactulose a little , because Dylan really does seem to hate it, however we're now on day 5 without poo . I've therefore started our emergency dosing regime.:rolleyes:

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Thanks for the update. What do you mean by deteriorating? Just the vomiting increase, or are you talking about quality of life? {{hug}}

Forester likes this.
  7. Forester

Just the increase in vomiting really, as well as the addition of constipation. Quality of life seems as good :)apart from him trying to avoid having his medication these days. He's extremely good with his tablets but hates the Lactulose, hence why I wanted to try reducing it.

I have just cheered myself slightly after looking in an old diary. Dylan's vomit total for April 2015 was 18 and for 2016 was 20. He wasn't on steroids in either of those months though. April 16 was an interesting one because it was when he was referred to Langford. He had an awful lot of Cerenia that month ,but still managed to vomit 20 times. He was was on Hills z/d :eek: :Arghh both wet ( which he mostly refused to eat ) and dry , and had an awful lot of stress.

lorilu likes this.
  8. Mrs Funkin

Gosh, he’s come such a long way since then, though. I’m sorry the vomiting has increased slightly but hopefully the reduction in iron may reduce it a little until he gets a bit more used to it. Such a delicate flower, Dylan, I’m sure you must make your mum’s head hurt from thinking about all the combinations of everything going on. Thank goodness the vomit total wasn’t 20 again @Forester. Every cloud and all that...

Forester likes this.
  9. Forester

The vomit totals for April '15 and '16 can be explained by Dylan not being on steroids at those times. Much as I hate him having to take them because of all the associated side effects they do half his number of vomits and clearly make him feel much better. My focus is on maintaining his quality of life for as long as possible.

My stomach churns when I remember life before starting Dylan on raw. Pretty much every vomit would reduce me to tears and the sound of the washing machine pumping out made me feel physically sick. I'd far rather have the current dilemmas over what to do next than the previous despair of fighting a battle which we were rapidly losing.

If only Dylan didn't take so long to adjust to changes in his diet I could try so much more. I have heaps of supplements , unopened, which I've bought in the hope that they might help in some way . I tend to buy one then find something else which sounds a better prospect. To illustrate , I've just ordered some pigs gelatine, although I already have hydrolysed beef collagen as yet untried. I'll try the Entero Chronic first though - I think.:rolleyes:

Progress is also not helped by improvements happening so slowly. I'm acutely aware that it can take months for many products to yield discernible results.

@Mrs Funkin, Thank you once more for your kind words and encouragement :). It does help!:)

Mrs Funkin likes this.
  10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Regarding hairballs, I've never seen the "hairball season" start so late. I usually have this trouble in February when the angle of the light changes, which prompts the summer coat to start growing in and the winter fur to start shedding. I didn't encounter that this year, and wondered why, but it's coming now, even Queen Eva is having some. Mazy cat has brought up three huge wads three days in a row, even one without food assisting (usually she only brings them op with food, if at all) and I can only wonder how much is still in there, and slowing things down at the other end.

As for the rest...I know what you mean about buying things thinking they might help and then having them sit in the cupboard. I have a cupboard full like that too. Usually because I am afraid to try anything new, after I get it. I keep an eye on the expire dates and just remind myself well, it's there if I want to try it.

Thinking about how long it can take with these things to show improvement. Well, that's true in most cases and I try to remind myself that time is not relevant it takes as long as it takes. But when you start at a teeny amount, like we have to do with Dylan and Mazy cat, and the bad reaction is immediate, you know it's not something that is going to help. When you start with a tiny amount with nothing bad happening, then we persevere and continue to increase and hope going forward it will help, and continue to be tolerated as the amounts are increased.

Hmm I've lost my train of thought here, can't remember if I had a point x.

Mrs Funkin and Forester like this.
  11. Forester

Ha ha, points are over rated ;) :D. Who cares whether you forgot where you were going ? It's all relevant and therefore valuable.:)

@lorilu, I'm guessing that the extremes of climate in the US makes your hairball season more marked than ours . Sometimes our seasons hardly seem to change at all, :( (says me on a freezing cold , wet May day :rolleyes: ). In years gone by Dylan has vomited a lot of tiny hair balls , usually around the size of a small grape, but so far this year I don't think he's vomited one at all. Vomiting hair is always accompanied by food in Dylan's case.

I'm becoming increasingly confident that my combing sessions which take place several times each day are helping with the hair situation. . . . . and they're definitely good for my relationship with Dylan. He adores being combed :D and will present himself to me once he sees his comb. His purr, when combed ,comes to a crescendo. and his eyes go even more soft than usual.

It is with great sadness that I appreciate how you understand my situation completely, maybe even more than I do. Mazy cat is so incredibly lucky to have you, and I'm lucky to have been able to benefit from your experiences with her. I wish that you hadn't had to go through what you have but I'm grateful for all of your advice and support. Without your support and encouragement I would have found all of this so much harder than it has been. xx

#1031 Forester, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Mrs Funkin and oliviarussian like this.
  12. Forester

I thought I'd post to celebrate a week without vomiting ( although it's probably asking for trouble ).:D

Food wise , Dylan's having pork shoulder + calcium carbonate + taurine + cod liver oil+ vit e + b vits + 30% of his additional iron requirement.

Meds wise he's having 2 x 1mg prednisolone, 5mg cetirizine and 2 x 2ml lactulose

I'm also giving him a 2 x 1/2 capsule Pro 30 max probiotic, 1/4 capsule ( that's the recommended dose ) phage prebiotic and I've just started introducing the Entero Chronic. Entero Chronic I started at just 2.5% of target dose but have now moved onto 10% of target dose. The EC is being mixed into food as I don't want to have to give any more capsules than necessary.

Dylan's weight remains at 5.55kg.

I'm pretty sure that Dylan has been struggling with the iron,( just as he did with the B vits and cod liver oil ) so I'm going slower with that than I'd really like to. My hope is that the Entero Chronic can help with the integrity of his gut lining and hence make it easier for him to cope with the iron.

I've also obtained some pork gelatine in case I feel inspired to try him with that.

oliviarussian and BarneyBobCat like this.
  13. Mrs Funkin

(It possibly is tempting fate but I'm just popping in to cheer a little "yay" for the lack of vomit. Good boy Dylan. Hurry slowly, @Forester)

Forester likes this.
  14. Forester

I'm repeating your cheer.:). I have to enjoy the good days when they happen. It's amazing how the gift of a brown sausage in Dylan's tray can also bring a smile to my face.:D

Mrs Funkin likes this.
  15. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

It's the little things in life you have to appreciate:p

Forester likes this.
  16. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Especially when it's chock full of fur!

Forester likes this.
  17. Forester

That's still a dream scenario however I'm grateful for what I have now.:)

This morning my little lad is turbocharged :D. If I didn't know everything which has passed his lips I'd be wondering what he'd taken :eek: ;). His racing around the house and leaping off furniture, tipping it over, resembles a scene from a cartoon .That's my boy, he refuses to let his IBD get in the way of enjoying life.

18. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Living life to the full Forester:)

Forester likes this.
  19. Forester

Haha :D. Peace now reigns. Dylan's motto appears to be " play hard then sleep hard". With him there's no in between.

SbanR and lorilu like this.
  20. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Would have loved to have seen him! He’s keeping you on your toes

Forester likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice