Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Transitioning a cat with IBD to raw - a diary.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Forester, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Pavonine

Pavonine PetForums Senior

Late to reply but I wanted to say that I also like to read about Dylan and how wonderfully you are caring for him. If the thread causes any stress then obviously we would all want you to take a step back, but if it is helpful and therapeutic then please continue, I love hearing about everything.

I realise this is not an easy journey for you and at times it may seem like he is taking a step backwards, but you have cared for him like nobody else could, who knows where he would be today if he didn’t have your devotion? You did not cause his problems, but he is an incredibly lucky boy that you are trying to fix them and as a result he undoubtedly has a much happier life than he could ever find with somebody else.

oliviarussian, Forester and lorilu like this.
  2. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

@Pavonine I apologise for not responding to this post when I was it yesterday evening. I couldn't find the words which I needed, and I'm afraid that I still can't. Sadly I was not blessed with eloquence.

You can have no idea how much your words mean to me. The support I've received on this thread has been like having a best friend here beside me every second of every day. It is lonely having a cat which veterinary medicine seems unable to help and few people understand in the way that you all do. This thread has been like a crutch to support me. I couldn't have done what I have for Dylan without you all behind me. I thank every one of you.

oliviarussian likes this.
  3. Forester

A week has passed since I withdrew the Purrform Supplement, Mercola probiotics and Phosphatidyl Choline from Dylan's diet. He's been sick twice so I have absolutely no idea whether the changes have made any difference at all.

It has been an extremely stressful week for Dylan with all sorts of things happening which may have caused him anxiety. If only I could reassure him that normal service should hopefully be resumed, eventually! Whether domestic events will have exacerbated Dylan's vomiting I really don't know. I'm very good at making excuses for individual vomits ( I've had plenty of practice ) so I try instead to look at the big picture .I'll keep everything as it is now for the next week and then reassess the situation.

On one bright note ( although Dylan wouldn't agree with me on that ) Dylan survived a night without food yet didn't vomit breakfast. For some reason which I've yet to identify,his auto feeder didn't open causing him to miss 2 meals. He went 9 and a half hours, the longest he has ever fasted without it resulting in a vomit.

This may seem a strange comment to make however I will be extremely interested in the composition of Dylan's next poo. Hunger is meant to stimulate peristaltic movement, and hair is the last thing to leave a cat's stomach, so will the next poo be a hairy one? I can hardly wait to find out. Does that make me a weirdo? Probably, but I don't care. IMO,anything which leads to me learning more about the machinations of Dylan's digestive system has to assist in my quest to help him.

Whilst I'm here I may as well include another photo of my lovely boy. Here he is illustrating how hard his life can be at times.

DSCN0639.JPG

4. Forester

Two weeks have passed since I withdrew the PurrForm Complete Supplement, Mercola probiotics and Phosphatidyl Choline from Dylan's diet. I honestly don't know whether the changes have made any difference or not. I'll give it a few more days before deciding on my next move.

If anyone is interested, Dylan's next poo, after the unintentional overnight fast, didn't seem to contain any more hair than his usual offerings. The poo after that wasn't any different either. So much for that theory.

I am continuing to comb Dylan on a daily, if not more frequent ,basis. I'm removing quite a bit of hair, although nowhere near as much as when I first started combing. I'm telling myself that it has to help.

stockwellcat. and Paddypaws like this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

It may take longer than two nights to see any difference. When I first discovered Mazy cat was ready for the overnight "fast" and how much it helped her, there were 6 days in a row that she went 12 hours or more without a meal every day. It was unavoidable for reasons I won't go into here. After that 6 days she went 22 days before she vomited again.

I now strive for 8 hours overnight on work nights and 10, at the minimum, on weekends. But prior to that discovery in July 2015, she could not go more than 6 hours between meals.

6. Forester

I'm not trying to introduce an overnight fast. :) It was accidental. Dylan generally does not do well with a fast and I figure that I have enough changes going on without introducing this at the moment.

I regret hurrying ( relative term :rolleyes: ) achievement of the full dose of PurrForm Supplement, introducing a new probiotic and adding Phosphatidyl Choline concurrently. It's left me confused as to what's going on .My priority is to get the diet complete, or as complete as I can make it with Dylan not tolerating organs. If only I knew whether he is tolerating the PurrForm Supplement . Could it be that the bad spells since June are due to the Purrform or would they have happened anyway.?????? I know that I could try the vit/min supplement used in the Raw for IBD recipe but it wouldn't complete the diet . Dylan would still be missing the nutrients which are provided by organs but not by his cod liver oil/ taurine.

7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

{{hug}}

Forester likes this.
  8. Forester

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice