Transitioning 3 Bulldogs to Raw

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming

Hi all,

*excuse lengthly post*

My dad has finally agreed for more to put our family Bulldogs on Raw. Where to start? They have been kibble fed all their life so just worried they may go through a bad detox. They are currently on Breeder pack kibble £8 a bag, 15kg, says it all

Sasha - 11 in March. In a right mess, patchy fur, dry eye, quite gaunt at the moment, arthritic.
    Lola - 9 patchy fur, badly arthritic.
    Nina - 4 needs to lose some weight and bad tear standing.

My Dobermann is on Raw and I switched him over when he was young so didn't have any side affects, just worried as 2 of my Bullys are senior, could there be any bad effects whilst transitioning, could my older bully deal with bones? Any supplements I could add for the older bullys?

Thanks so much for reading.

Attached Files:

King John likes this.
  2. BentleysFood

BentleysFood PetForums Junior

Hi Sarah,

Good idea switching to raw, as the kibble they are on isn't doing them many favours. The top 4 ingredients in breederspack are: Cereal, meat and animal derivatives, derivatives of vegetable origin, various sugars. They may find it quite a jump going to raw, since their top ingredient is cereals which is not a natural ingredient. One thing I could suggest to transition them over is finding a high quality kibble at least an 80/20 brand where the ingredients and levels of protein are much closer to a natural diet. You can then give a little bit of kibble alongside their new raw diet, or transition them fully onto this before making the next step of going to raw. Sasha will only have problem with bones if her teeth aren't in good shape, otherwise most dogs should handle it just fine. Good luck!

King John likes this.
  3. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

Is a bulldog's jaw structure and dentition going to manage bones?

I'd go for the pre-prepared balanced raw with bonemeal included within it.

Sarah H, MiffyMoo and King John like this.
  4. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Would partially depend on the type of bones. One of the first things I normally start with is chicken backs which shouldn't be a problem.

MiffyMoo and King John like this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I'd do the transition more gradually, first moving to a kibble of around 30% meat, and then going on to a 40-50% one, and on from there. And the raw (assuming a raw diet suits the dogs) would be best being a pre-prepared, balanced one with things like chicken frames and wings as additives.