Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Transferring ownership of KC reg dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Thorne, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Is this a "must do" with KC registered dogs? When I bought Breeze from her previous owner it wasn't mentioned at all, I have her original transfer of ownership certificate from her breeder to first owner but hadn't considered until now that I could possibly transfer her to my name.

OH also has a supposedly KC reg dog that hasn't had any of his papers or the passport he supposedly has handed over - think this is because the original owner rehomed him to someone who was fed up with him in a week and passed onto the first owner's brother, who OH actually got the dog from. Original owner knows who owns him now and has contact numbers but is digging his heels in so either he has something to hide (I have my suspicions) or is just an unhelpful sod.

Do the KC actually ask people to transfer ownership or is it a kind of optional extra? I'm not in contact with the person who owned Breeze and don't fancy getting involved with her again, I'm mostly curious.

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

There are lots of people who never bother to transfer owneship. the only time it is really necessary is if you wish to enter competitions or breed.

3. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

I haven't transferred ownership of Dibley. The only reason is because you have to pay for it :eek:

4. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

That's what I was thinking, would be interested to know if the KC encourage it (I suppose they probably do, seeing as they can slap a tidy admin fee on for it!).

5. lipsthefish

lipsthefish PetForums VIP

I'm not really sure if it's the done thing as Jack is the first KC reg dog we've had but I did the transfer of ownership for him on Monday, Hubby paid for it as a birthday present for me or I probably wouldn't have bothered. It cost £15 and was very straight forward to do :)

6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We have, not that it would happen with our breeder, but it's the only proof you have that it's your dog.

7. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

The KC do encourage it especially with the assured breeders as in their puppy pack their is a complaints form and buyers are supposed to be notified of this form and also if they have anything really nice to say about the breeder it goes on this form as well.The complaints form is supposed to be sent back at the same time as your registration form but not in the same envelope.Also when and if the registration form is sent back the dogs name will be took off the Breeders KC homepage.According to my home page i own 8 dogs but i only actually own 5 but people haven't bothered to register their pups.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice