Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Transfer of Ownership, need help.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Midgar, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Midgar

Midgar PetForums Newbie

So i'm looking to rescue a dog. And i've fallen for a 1 year old Staffy x Lab that needs rehoming through a private ad on Gumtree.
    The only problem is, the owners are saying they do not have the "verifaction of ownership" (as i worded it to them) paperwork. They say it's because the previous owners didn't have any.

Where do i stand here?
    If they can't prove he is theirs. They could turn around and say he's been stolen after i pay them. Or he could already be stolen. Dodgy dealers as it were.
    I'm sure that isn't the case, but then it could be.

Where does the law stand on this?
    They are telling me i just need to take him to the vet and they'll sort all that out. Shouldn't they be doing that? Taking him to the vet to get the paperwork.

Is it their responsibilty to change his microchip to me as the owner before i get him? Or is it mine once i get the dog?
    I used to own a dog, but this was before microchipping was law, she was from a registered breeder as a pup to.
    I'm not clear on the rules of doing it this way.

I live in the UK.

Thanks.

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If he is a staffy x Lab then he wouldn't have any kennel club registration papers, so there would be no papers and No transfer of owner ship.

The only paper he would be likely to have would be the paperwork which you get when they are microchipped, I'm assuming this is what you mean? Really if they have no paperwork then it would probably be best, if they took the dog to the vets, the vet should be able to read the microchip number with their scanner, and also likely tell who he is microchipped with and who holds the records. That's assuming he is even micro chipped in the first place as he now should be, but again a vets should be able to locate the chip if he is.

To be honest if your instincts are telling you all isn't right,, then there is a good chance it might not be, that's often the danger of On line ads.
    To be honest you would probably be better off going to a reputable dogs home or rehoming centre, like Battersea, dogs trust, RSPCA rehoming centres. There are dogs of all sorts of ages and types from pedigree to crosses, lots of full staffs and staff crosses are always looking for homes. At least then you will know that they have been looked after, vet checked, vaccinated, wormed flea treated, microchipped and you will get the paper work, some even give you 4 weeks health insurance too. You may even find the donation fee that covers all this and more, is less or not much more then what you are paying.

LinznMilly, Lurcherlad and Katalyst like this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You should not be paying anything for an older Crossbreed.

He would be classed as a rescue and his present owners should think themselves lucky to have found a good home for him.

The Shelters and Pounds are full of Staffy Crosses, many of which are put to sleep every day.

Would you be interested in rescuing rather than buying?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Midgar

Midgar PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes i suppose i mean for his microchip. I just know dogs comes with (or should) come with certain documentation to prove they belong to the current owners.
    Hypothetically, if i did take this dog in. How would the vets react to me saying, well.. this basically.
    That i took this dog in from previous owner who didn't have the paperwork for his microchip from the previous owners. Surely they'd question that, correct? I would.

So basically i need to tell them it is there responsibility to aquire the documentation for his microchip? That they then need to pass on to me.

Picklelily likes this.
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

http://www.doglaw.co.uk/buyers-sellers/

It is possible, but unlikely, this dog may be registered with the KC on the Activity Register, but this is usually only done by those who wish to compete in KC licensed activities. You can ask if the dog is chipped and the vet will find out with who, they cannot divulge that information to you direct however.

I would walk away in case this dog has been stolen for sale.

Lurcherlad and Rafa like this.
  6. Midgar

Midgar PetForums Newbie

I told them that, they said they are getting rid of him because they can't accomdate him any longer as they've moved. And the boyfriend recently lost his job, which they say is why they're charging for him. In all fairness what they asking for isn't anymore then the donoation you'd give to a rescue home anyway.
    Personally, if it were me (has been me) my only concern is the dog going to a good home.

Honestly i would consider this rescueing, as he can only end up in a kennel if no one takes him. And i know i'm a good owner to. Where someone else that takes him, may not be.
    But i do look on the rescue sites also.I've been looking for a while and this dog "Max". Just ticks the right boxes. With things like age, breed, temperment, personality etc. (As much as i can tell without meeting the dog anyway).
    You know how it is, when you feel you've found 'that' dog.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Midgar

Midgar PetForums Newbie

Unfortunantly you're probably right. :(

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

In that case, if you are committed to taking this dog, I would insist the current owners take him to a Vet and have him scanned for a microchip.

If he isn't, you can ask that they have him chipped and hand the paperwork to you, at which time you can transfer into your name.

If, however, his first owner had him chipped, you could have a problem as you would have to contact them and request the paperwork.

If you cannot, for whatever reason, obtain the paperwork, I would walk away.

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

is there any reason you think the dog might have been stolen. Seems very unlikely. He probably should be chipped - when did the law come in? But there is every chance a crossbreed that has been passed around is not chipped in which case you could get him done in your name.
    Another thing to be aware of is that a lab cross staffy could easily be 'of type' and you do not want to have a dog that will be at risk. Hopefully he looks more like a lab but it is something to think of.

10. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Picklelily likes this.
  11. Midgar

Midgar PetForums Newbie

So i emailed them, asking them if his microchip is registered to them. They said he isn't microchipped, and that they can't aford to have him chipped, that's why they need to rehome him.
    I guess my only question now is. Is it legal for me to take ownership and get him chipped? He has no paper work or chip and probably not registered under anything to anyone.

No particular reason. I'm just under the impression the ability to prove ownership important. I don't when it became the law, few years ago? But he's only a year old so he should be chipped.
    "of type"? He looks pretty 50/50 to be fair, very sweet looking face. He doesn't look like a mean fighting dog if that's what you mean.

Attached Files:

12. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Neither do most of the dogs seized every year sadly.

Goblin likes this.
  13. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Microchipping became law on 6 April 2016. I would try to get the current owners to chip the dog. Not being able to afford it may well be found to be no excuse. Very quick search came up with but sure there are other options:
    http://www.chipmydog.org.uk/have-your-dog-chipped-for-free/

Unless the dog is chipped, it is an illegal dog.

14. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I would speak to a vet and the current owner and ask if they would be happy scan the dog and give it a quick check over before you agree to take him on.
    If he us scanned you can contact the registering body about how to transfer details and check he's not registered as missing/stolen.
    If he's not chipped and you are happy then you can get him chipped and registered to yourself straight away

Lurcherlad likes this.
  15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Midgar: Am I right in thinking you have not yet met the dog? Don't you think it might be a good idea to? It's easy to fall for a dog (or cat) by just seeing a photo, but surely you want to meet him and see how he reacts to you? Maybe accompany the current keepers on a walk or two with him? Have you asked to meet him?

Lurcherlad and Goblin like this.
  16. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

How can they not afford to get him chipped? It's like £15!!! Sounds like they don't care about the dog tbh, not good. If you're interested go and see the dog, then get them to come with you to the vets for a full vet check. If you still like the dog you can then decide and get him chipped to you at the same time. If they refuse to come with you to the vets then walk away.

Picklelily, Lurcherlad and Calvine like this.
  17. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I bet they have £15 to spend on takeaways, @Sarah H: There are also some charities that have a free microchipping for people who are hard up; but of course many people are not good at prioritising their expenditure. If it's a Labrador cross, then a week's food will cost as much as a chip. Lord help the dog if he ever needs a vet! The current ''owners'' would probably refuse to accompany @Midgar to a vet a) in case they get lumbered with a bill for anything (just my guess) or b) in case they get berated for keeping a dog without a microchip. But Midgar can suggest it; he won't know unless he asks.

#17 Calvine, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  18. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I see where you are coming from, but also consider that his owners may be lying through their teeth about the reason for the rehoming.

He may have shown aggression for instance.

You haven't met the dog, so his temperament is a mystery to you. Ask to meet him and join them on a walk so you can see for yourself.

Maybe suggest that when you go and meet you accompany them to the vet to check the microchip? If they are genuine, they will agree IMO. If they do not then I would be concerned they are hiding something.

Have a look yourself on Dog Lost and see if there are any close matches?

Calvine likes this.
  19. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

If he does have a chip, you have to get the consent/signature of the owner in whose name he was chipped (if that person is still contactable). If he is not chipped then you chip him in your name. I would read and follow the advice of previous posts tho'. And no way would I think of getting a dog I hadn't seen...

Lurcherlad likes this.
  20. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

If the dog isn't microchipped, and there is no paperwork, it should be easy enough to arrange the transfer of the dog to your ownership to be witnessed; draw up a document to be signed by both parties and the witness.
    But meet the dog first, go for a walk with the current owners, see how the dog reacts to other dogs, other people. Descriptions of dogs in the internet free ads often leave the bad parts out.

Sarah H and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice