Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tramadol Nightmare / Compounded Tramadol / take a pill

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by briant123, Apr 2, 2017.

1. briant123

briant123 PetForums Newbie

My 120lb Rottweiler injured her left rear CCL (ACL) and was on Tramadol for a month. Then just when she started to get a little better she tore both of her CCL's and had to have TTA surgery on both back legs. I do not know why they cannot come out with something better than Tramadol but its what we have. It has been a nightmare to say the least. At first i was able to stuff them in hot dogs and toss them too her and she would gobble them up, but that did not last long. Then I thought i was smart and got some size "00" empty gelatin capsules ($6) and was stuffing 3 50mg Tramadol tablets into a capsule and making holes in hot dogs with a straw to stuff the capsule in and that worked for a while. Then she got wise to that and then I had to resort to putting the capsule stuffed hot dogs in wet food. Then of course it got to the point she would not trust any food or treat and stopped eating her food. So after the TTA surgery they prescribed Compounded Chicken Flavored Tramadol which I thought would be great because after surgery her appetite is not strong so I cannot hide it in food. But the Compounded Tramadol was worse. I could squirt it in her mouth but then she would make it foam up in her mouth and get all over the place and she was miserable and i felt bad.

So I talked to the vet and they said I had to man up and do what they do and stuff it in the back of her mouth. I have to do whats best for my dog and that is to get her to take the pill. What I have found though is (if you cant get Tramadol in a capsule form) stuff Tramadol into the size "00" gelatin capsule then pry her mouth open and drop the pill in the back of her mouth, hold her mouth closed and squirt 5ml of water in with a oral syringe in a gap in her teeth then hold her mouth shut until she sticks her tongue out a couple of times which usually means the pill has been swallowed. The gel cap hides the taste and with the water is slides down her throat quickly and it they spit it out the gel cap protects the tablet from dissolving for a little bit but it is very slippery. This is saving me and my dog a lot of pain and frustration. Does she like it? Not that much but it is the only real way to get her to get her to take the Tramadol and have her not hate me. If your vet was to give your dog medication this is what they do because it works. You just have to be tough and do it as quick as you can and it takes less than a minute. I now do this method with every pill I give to my dog, the gel capsule and water are the keys to success. Quit messing around trying to hide it in food like I did, she will just stop eating and not trust her food. Just stuff the pill and squirt water and you and your dog will be much happier. You can do it. IMG_9344.JPG IMG_9345.JPG

2. tabulahrasa

tabulahrasa PetForums VIP

Is she clicker trained?

If you hit the right spot on the back of their mouth you'll not need to do all that as it just goes straight down, click, repeat... eventually you can add a command and it's dead easy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice