Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Training your dog to ease off the Barking!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by J-Dog, Jul 6, 2009.

1. J-Dog

J-Dog PetForums Newbie

Hoping someone can help,

Our dog is barking now to a point that it will be annoying the neighbours, when he's in the Garden he constantly barks at any noise that comes over the fence, and when he's in the kitchen and were upstairs he will bark alot too.

Any adivce?

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I'd like this advice too. My 12 year old collie cross is a serial barker, she might be too old though :rolleyes:

3. J-Dog

J-Dog PetForums Newbie

Nobody had this barking problem before ?

Our dog is 6 years old.

:confused:

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I was told that training your dog to bark on command can help with noisy animals.

Once your dog barks on command, and stops on commnd, then you can progress to teaching a "big speak" and a "little" speak.

Ive done this with both of mine, and they only bark when someone comes to the door, and even then they sometimes only do "little speaks" as this is all i ever reward.

Dont ask me how to train them though, its really hard to explain.

What sort of dog is he?

Hoe much exercise is he getting?

What sort of stimulation does he get in the house/garden?

What do you currently do to stop him?

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I've trained Dave to do big speaks and little speak.

I first was geting him to speak for his dinner and I changed the command to 'big speaks'. When I want him to 'little speaks' I whistper it at him, he hasn't quite got the hang of the actual words yet but if I whisper 'little speaks' to him he will whine at me.

Both my dogs know what 'quiet' and 'enough' mean.

Dixie does bark sometimes when she hears things if she is outside, she gets one 'quiet' command if she still barks she gets send to her bed to calm down.

x

6. maxravi

maxravi PetForums Newbie

You can use dog training mini course at home by which you can leaern how to train your pet at home.
    I also had this problem then I joined Nancy Richards program of "how to train your pet at home".
    It really helped me a lot , and I am not facing this problem.

7. J-Dog

J-Dog PetForums Newbie

Thankyou for the replies,

He is a Lurcher cross bread with an Irish Wolf hound to the best of our knowledge (He was a rescue dog, we got him at approx 6-8 months old)

Exercise:
    he is allowed out in garden (large garden) for approx 30mins in morning, then he is inside until lunch, when he is again let in garden.

On an evening he gets long walk (about 1 hour) to tire him out for evening / bed time.

He doesn't like toys for stimulation / playing - he is often scared of anything that isn't food :(

To stop him its a firm telling "No" or "Timmy STOP" then it may take comforting him to re-assure him its ok.

I am hesitant to give him a chew or anything to shut him up because i don't want to reward him for barking.

My girlfriend wants to get him a bark collar, but if possible i would like to try other means of training him first.

8. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

A firm NO! & or a loud rattle, failing that a squirt of water...:)

9. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Im teaching zeb this at the moment which is just starting to work dont know if this will work with all dogs tho

Ive got him to speak on command, and now i ask him to speak treat him, then i go sssshhhh and if hes quiet treat him. Im trying to teach him ssshhh as our quiet word

never thought of doing big speak and little speak will now tho lol!

10. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

The way I did it was when they stopped said quiet and give them a treat. They then learned quiet so when they barked all I have to say is quiet and they stop. One of my dogs though they didn't work on so I used a rattle bottle which stopped him.

11. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I have used a spray coller. Works really well on the short haired dog, but less on Lilly who is a collie x and loves nothing more than a good old bark!

Collies are known for their barking. There have been so many people on here who have complained about them!
    x

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

There's no chance for me then, Candy is a collie cross and a firm no/squirt never keeps her quiet. Within seconds she's barking again :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice