Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

training treats

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sam1309, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

hey all looking for some ideas what to use as i don't want pup getting bored therefore not willing to learn so far i use

bits so sample kibble- only very few thou
    puppy marrow bones
    mini bones- pets at home
    dem bones- CSJ treats
    coachies, puppie treat

raw beef- reward for recall

think about raw liver or cooked liver or is there something else what would be good

2. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

I used coachies in the house and for training class mild cheese cut up into little square pieces or ham chopped up into tiny squares that the trainer sometimes brought with her. Maybe tinned ham or something like that I think?

When you say raw beef for recall do you actually mean like pieces of beef from the butcher/supermarket cut up? The red meat? I never though of that is all - might make Mac want to come back more often! lol!

Laura :)

3. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

its price choice 70/80pence for 400g at pets at home or other stores.

i deforst it cut it up, put it in cling film and re freeze so i can defrost as i need to. the keep it in a sandwhich bag, saves on mess......

and he really really adores it

4. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

Ah that sounds really good - I may have to try that! I'm limited to what treats Mac gets as he can't have chicken so the beef idea sounds great! Thank you!

There's a big new P@H opened near my Mum's work so I'll have to send her in there for me and ask her to drop in with it! lol!

5. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

google prize choice they do a whole range was looking at getting beef chuncks as well for training

6. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Treats for training should be small and easy to swallow. All they should be is a taster, a titbit. Not something that takes a while to crunch and swallow like a mini bone or dog biscuit etc!

I use thumbnail size (1 cm square approx) pieces only, though I give several of them at once as an incentive if the dog has found something difficult. That's called a 'jackpot'. ;) Soft titbits are best as dogs can choke and gag if hard titbits are given, unless those titbits are very small. I use the soft chewy strips like Schmackos broken up into 1 cm pieces, similar sized pieces of cheese, chicken roll, ham and also small slices of pepperoni sausage. Most commercially available treats are far too large so simply break them up. :)

I have never yet had a dog put on weight during training due to the extra treats because my treats are so small. But the dog still wants to earn the rewards, regardless of their size! :D

7. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

i'm using the puppy mini bones and puppy marrow bones, the mini bones are broken in half and are tiny whole anyway and the marror bones are for when he goes to the loo outside..... or for his kong as there a touch harder to get out

8. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

Peperoni would be a good one to give as the smell is quite strong - I like that idea Lemmsy. When Mac knows I have an extra good treat in my pocket he walks about with his nose in the air - sniff, sniff, sniff .... - he would definitely be able to tell if I had that with me! lol!

9. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

strips of dried duck is the doggy version of heroin in this house! Seems to be the only thing to really get them wanting to work for it!

10. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Holly gets small cubes of cheese or sausage, and occasionally bakers rewards in small cubes, unless the rescue dogs have eaten it all. She sometimes gets cubes of cooked livercake however that stinks...

11. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

cheap tin of hot dog sausages, drained, cut into small pieces, dipped in garlic paste and left in fridge overnight...guaranteed to get their attention!

12. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Good ole livercake never seems to fail if you can face cooking it;)

13. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

Do you have the recipe? I'll see what it is before I say yes or no! lol!

14. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

I certainly do....but I'm in bed at moment :lol::lol::lol: I will post it on here first thing tomorrow morning if thats ok Hun

But basically, liver, flour, eggs, garlic all blended together. spread out onto a tray then baked.

Freezes really well into small bags suitable for treats.

I'll put amounts up tomorrow mmorning for you :)

15. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

I tried the hot dog sausages with Mac and he wasn't too bothered! I never did the garlic paste though so that might help! lol!

16. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Lauz...heres the recipe I use

1 mug of bran

1 mug of oats

1 mug of flour

2/3 eggs

garlic

tray of liver

All blended into a lovely mess

Then spread thickley but evenly onto a greased tray and baked in the oven until skewer clean.

Left to cool and cut into bite size pieces.

Freezes really well in small freezer bags.

* open windows while cooking*

Dogs go made for it :thumbup:

Have fun :)

#16 deb53, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
    Cleo38 likes this.
  17. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Thanks for posting this .... I've also been been waiting for the recipe, will pick this lot up when I go to Sainsburys later - Toby will LOVE this! :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice