Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Training puppy to not pick up unsavoury objects from the street

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Winniethepoodle, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Winniethepoodle

Winniethepoodle PetForums Member

Ok so Winnie has been out and about for just over a week and I feel its time to start training her not to pick up unsavoury items on the road. So far I have been adopting the firm 'no' and tugging her away from the item. Sometimes I am too late and she has it in her mouth and I try the 'drop it' approach. If she drops it she gets a reward or if I say 'no' and she moves away, she gets a reward. Sometimes she just won't let it go and I have to open her mouth and take it out. Is this the way to go or is there a better method? What I'm worried about is confusing her into thinking that the more objects she picks up the more rewards she will get. Or do they not think this way, I know I would be thinking this is a good way to get treats.

2. Rottsmum

Rottsmum PetForums Member

Maybe better to teach her to "leave" when it comes to picking up unwanted items, meaning it never makes it into her mouth in the first place :). I had to pry a half decayed frog out of my pup's mouth once and it was DISGUSTING! He now knows that "drop" means drop whatever is in your mouth but "leave it" means don't pick it up in the first place.

LinznMilly and Winniethepoodle like this.
  3. Winniethepoodle

Winniethepoodle PetForums Member

yes that's a good idea thank you

4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I've always trained my puppies not to touch or pick up unsavoury things with the word "yucky". It's a short sharp sounding word which tends to attract their attention. I'll follow that with a cheery "Let's go" and hurry them past the offending object.

I only use the word "yucky" for that purpose so it tends not to lose it's value.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice