Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Training 'off' , what now?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by SusieRainbow, Feb 23, 2021 at 1:16 PM.

1. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm teaching Bobby 'off' when he's on my chair, initially wth a treat 'lure', now a treat when his paws are on the floor.
    Should I keep up with the treat reward inefinitely?
    I don't mind hm being in my chair when I'm already on it as he will snuggle up next to me but if he's on it when I want to sit down he needs to move out of the way or get sat on ! ( that would be no joke!)
    Reena wiil move right over to one side to make room as soon as she sees me, but not Bobby, Though he he has started to move in anticpation of the treat which is always accompanied by the word 'off' and a hand signal.
    Any tips?

2. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I'm a horrible mum with no finesse or consideration for either of mine. If one of them's sitting on my chair when I want to sit on it, I just push them to one side and plonk myself down They have a choice stay there and get squashed, or move to another chair.

Not much help I'm afraid!

SusieRainbow likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

What if they are both on it ? That's what greeted me when I came back from the Kitchen with my coffee!:rolleyes:

Magyarmum likes this.
  4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

There's not room for both of them. Gwylim's small and only weighs 8.5kg, but Grisha is nearly the size of a Standard Schnauzer and weighs a whopping 13kg. If I'm sitting down and they want a cuddle, Gwylim normally sits on my knee and Grisha sits in front of me with his head on my lap. It's funny but even if Gwylim's not around Grisha will never try and jump up and sit on my knee.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Useless reply deleted.

#5 tabelmabel, Feb 23, 2021 at 2:38 PM
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 5:43 PM
  6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Sure, why not?
    Bates still gets treats for getting up, particularly now that he's stiff and often doesn't want to move, but I make him because it gets worse if he doesn't move periodically.
    At night right before bed, he has to get up off his "throne" (2 orthopedic beds stacked on top of each other - it's pathetic), and I make him go out and pee. Otherwise he would go over 12 hours without peeing and that can't be good for him. So I make him get up and go out. He never wants to go so he always gets a treat. On particularly ornery nights he will bark at me while he's getting up to show his disapproval, and I'm quite sure those are not appropriate doggy words that he's saying. The treats keep the peace :D

7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

:D
    I'm becoming convinced Bobby jumps in my chair just so he can have a treat for getting off!:D

Lurcherlad, Magyarmum and O2.0 like this.
  8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Aw no @SusieRainbow - i gave it my best shot but, tbf, i should have stayed off the thread as i have never actually used the method i suggested. I just made it up:Hilarious

I think you were on to me right away. Points for trying?!

Hope you get it sorted anyway:)

9. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I'm certain dogs are devious enough. Gwylim's favourite is to hover half in, half out of the front door, meaning I can't close it. It doesn't matter how much you entreat him, he just won't budge. Offer him a treat and he's in like a shot :rolleyes:

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Haha, didn't see your reply so can't award any points or treats for trying.:D

tabelmabel likes this.
  11. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Ha ha there's no danger of me sneaking a spot on your chair then, you meany:Hilarious

Btw did you notice i managed to grind the coronovirus thread to a halt again today:eek:

I honestly dont know how i do it! Kiss of death. Your job with me is about to get a whole lot easier as im back to work tomorrow. I wont have nearly as much time to jam threads up with useless contributions:D

Boxer123 and SusieRainbow like this.
  12. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm quite confident that the Coronavirus thread is good for a while yet despite your kiss of death!;)
    We could do with you in the political threads though, save me having to close them.:D

13. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

You're the second person to make that same joke about me today:eek:

I think i might blow up the forum if i strayed into the politics section. I never go on it.

My auntie (now passed on) described this personality of mine in an almost poetic way. She was always very wise and measured.

This has always stuck in my head. She said to me "people like me make the world go round. People like you set it alight"

She said it like the way i was was a good thing but i now think she was being sardonic:p

SusieRainbow likes this.
  14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

It is a good thing!:D I could do wth some of that myself.

tabelmabel likes this.
  15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

In my house, if the cats have taken up the spot I want, I go lie on the bed. It doesn't take them long to join me, then I can get up and go back to the spot (chair or couch) I wanted in the first place. :D

Lurcherlad and SusieRainbow like this.
  16. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

This thread has made me giggle.

Anyway...to be honest it depends (really helpful). If he's the type to be very put out by the whole thing then I'd probably keep up with the treats for quite some time. But what I'd start to do is, (once he's started getting off after you've cued him but before you give the treat) cue him 'off', sit down, then reward him by calling him to come back up. Don't do this every time otherwise he might jump back up before you've got your bum down!

17. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I've moved to the sofa and they've both joined me !
    We have seating for 6 humans and a dog bed in this room.:rolleyes:

Lurcherlad, Sarah H and lorilu like this.
  18. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

He's not, he's just a cheeky boy who likes to push his luck but very happy and good natured!:D
    I think he's training me !

Lurcherlad and Sarah H like this.
  19. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

My two little monkeys as soon as they see me with a cup of coffee or tea in my hands, they go and stand by my armchair waiting for me to sit down so they can demand cuddles.

lorilu and Sarah H like this.
  20. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

It depends on the dog really. If they are really clever and sneaky then they might start to use it to their advantage. If I gave Holly a treat every time she got down from something when asked then she'd soon start getting up on things just so she would be asked to get off and then get a treat :rolleyes:

Personally, I would vary the rewards a little as @Sarah H suggested, so sometimes he gets a treat straight away, sometimes he has to get off and remain off for a period of time (start with just a few seconds) and sometimes his reward is being invited back up.

Lurcherlad, Torin., Cleo38 and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice