Training my puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks and Games' started by Munchie557, May 30, 2014.

1. Munchie557

Munchie557 PetForums Junior

My staffy puppy is almost 4 months old and I was wondering whether it was too early to start training him, I haven't got a clicker yet but if it isn't too early then I will buy one next time i go shopping. If it is ok to start training now, can anyone tell me some tips on how to train him to do the basics such as sit and stay etc. thank you :thumbsup:

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

It is absolutely not too early to start training :) My pup started learning basic things like sit, down etc the day after I got her at 8 weeks old and by 6 months had quite a range of tricks. They learn so quickly when they're young.

You can definitely start with the basic stuff before you get your clicker, but the clicker does help when you're doing more advanced stuff.

Just be careful about training anything that requires the dog to be in an unnatural position while they're still young.

Good luck and have fun :)

3. Munchie557

Thanks, do u have any tips to help me start off?? :smile5:

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Just keep your training sessions really short and always positive, make it really fun for the dog. Lots of treats, lots of praise, just a couple of minutes or a few repetitions of what you're teaching. You can use some of your dog's normal food for treats throughout the day so they're not getting too much extra. Don't ever force the dog to do something they're uncomfortable doing or that they're resisting. My dog has never learnt to roll over because it's not something she naturally does and I don't force her because it makes her uncomfortable, and that's ok :) If something you're training isn't working, ditch it and try something else :)

5. Munchie557

Ok thanks, he already does a pretty cool trick where he crawls along on his belly, he looks so funny when he does it ;) lol :biggrin:

6. Munchie557

Mum has bought a training clicker and some little treats especially for training so he is going to have his first little lesson today, I will be teaching him 'sit' :thumbup1:

7. Hanna/lana

Hanna/lana PetForums Newbie

Good luck let me know how you get on please as I'm wanting to start training my little one too xx

8. armensaar93

armensaar93 PetForums Newbie

Say “Sit” and bring your empty hand in front of your dog's nose, holding your fingers as if you had a treat.

9. armensaar93

armensaar93 PetForums Newbie

Actually many people trained their dog personally but may be those people have not good training rules like How to trained my dog.

10. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

This post is a year old!

11. avvygabby

avvygabby PetForums Newbie

12. avvygabby

avvygabby PetForums Newbie

I started training my staffie at about 10 weeks old.The sooner the better Ive heard.To get your pup to sit I take a treat lry him see it, then move it over his head he will then follow treat & his bottom goes down.
    For stay I ask him to sit the I raise my hand so he sees my palm & tell him to wait.
    Hope this helps.