UK Pet Forums Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
A friend is buying a labradoodle from a breeder who does do all the appropriate health tests and breeds for temperament too, so as far as possible ticks a lot of boxes. They do charge an eye watering price but at least the important things are in place and respecting my friend's choice of a doodle; she is getting as good an example of the cross that is available. Then they recommended a training book by a trainer that many of us rate very, very poorly. So sad to jump through all these hoops then fail at the end. Again, in 2019.

I don't have a massive issue with leash corrections done "correctly", however like you say there are far better ways to train heelwork. I would never encourage any of my handlers to use leash corrections as there is far too much room for error which could result in injury or a fearful dog. A lot of novice handlers are fairly lousy when it comes to timing of commands and rewards as well as reading their dog's body language. However, a novice handler with lousy judgement training heelwork with a dog on a harness and using reward-based methods is most likely just going to take longer to teach their dog the behaviour. It is unlikely to be particularly detrimental to the dog, and hopefully over time the handler will get better at it so the dog will learn quicker. A novice handler with lousy judgement performing leash corrections has far more chance of doing something detrimental to the dog. All it takes is for the handler to be on a short fuse that day, dog pulls on the lead (dog is trying to push his luck) and yank goes the lead.

I am not suggesting that this is what happens with everyone who uses leash corrections. Some of my friends use them, but I've also seen plenty of clueless people thinking the harder they yank the sooner the dog will get the message.

A friend is buying a labradoodle from a breeder who does do all the appropriate health tests and breeds for temperament too, so as far as possible ticks a lot of boxes. They do charge an eye watering price but at least the important things are in place and respecting my friend's choice of a doodle; she is getting as good an example of the cross that is available. Then they recommended a training book by a trainer that many of us rate very, very poorly. So sad to jump through all these hoops then fail at the end. Again, in 2019.
I suspect this breeder also neuters 6-8 week old puppies so they can control the breeding

Really off topic but had to post it as I thought it was funny. Enjoy!

The Daily Mash

Police dog wants job that isn't just biting people
13th February 2019

A POLICE dog would prefer a job that isn't basically just attacking people, he has confirmed.

German shepherd Wayne Hayes has worked as a police dog for three years, which is 21 dog years. He found it exciting at first but now wants to re-train as an art therapist.

Hayes said: "I thought there would be more detective work, getting inside the minds of criminals, stuff like that.

"Actually I just get loaded into a van and then they let me out in Bristol city centre and say 'bite that gobby **** in the Fred Perry'. Then I get a Polo mint and he gets taken off to get some stitches in his arse.

"Being a dog I naturally enjoy biting people, however I'm actually quite left-wing so basically being the jaws of the state doesn't really sit well.

"I've applied for a lot of jobs but as soon as I tell them I'm a dog they lose interest. I got an interview to be a dental nurse but as soon as I walked in they said no, apparently the long hair and drooling was a problem."

Ha ha!!! I did laugh!
:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious
Sooooo funny!
Another one for you!

The Daily Mash

Dogs condemn microchipping as 'Orwellian'
7th February 2013

MANDATORY microchipping is a serious erosion of civil liberties, according to dogs.

Dogs believe government plans to microchip them all are a step towards a totalitarian state.

Three-year-old Cairn terrier Rocky said: "The government is using the whole 'dangerous dogs' thing as a smokescreen. The authorities just want to know which dogs are members of subversive political groups.

"I can't believe a Western democracy is doing this, it's like North Korea or something."

Rottweiler and conspiracy theorist Chunky said: "They don't care about us biting people or making poodles pregnant, this is really about the risk that we might stray onto secret government bases where they've got UFOs.

"Also our highly developed senses make us a constant threat to the powers-that-be. I could overhear a top-level meeting about Trident from 15 miles away if the wind was in the right direction.

"If you get caught, MI5 vets remove bits of your brain until all you can do is play with squeezy bones.

"By telling you this, I've made myself a target."

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.