Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Training for show

Discussion in 'Dog Shows and Events' started by pearltheplank, Jan 18, 2012.

1. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

I'm not sure where to put this thread, here or general training but here goes

I took my 3 and half month pup for his first Ringcraft last night and he had the concentration span of a dead gnat and wanted to play all the time which is to be expected, it was all new. His mum didn't go into the ring till she was older and obviously calmer, I have never started training on a young pup. We practise at home but everything is calm.

Any tips greatly appreciated, I realise it will take time but any secrets to share ;)

2. Tollisty

Tollisty PetForums VIP

You need to be the most exciting thing in his world :D

Try having a handful of treats/food, stand still, if he looks at you drop a bit of food on the floor, repeat alot! He should soon start to look at you in case you are going to drop a bit of food, then you can add in a command look/watch.
    My dogs will just look at me all the time when training, we can be working in a room full of other dogs and people, and I can work them off lead. If I move they follow! I am not strict about it, they choose to look at me and follow me.

3. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Patience and persistence is all thats needed, and it will pay off!

I love training pups, its such fun and when they suddenly make a step forward, its great to see, lol!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice