Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Training experience

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Jul 21, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

There are a lot of people on here giving advice on training.
    I believe that all dogs are individuals and training should be geared to the personality of that dog, however there is good reason to assume that most of one breed will be very similar to each other. Obviously a lot depends on the breeding of that dog and if an adult, the life experience of the dog.
    I was just wondering what breeds or type of dogs forum members had had experience of training.
    Mine are
    Golden Retrievers
    JRT's
    Border Collies
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
    and to a lesser degree
    ESS
    Red Setters
    Miniature Poodles
    Yorkshire Terriers

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Mutts are my only real experience! lol x

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Mine are GSDs and crosses :)

4. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Cavaliers are mine - if you can call training one experience! LOL :D

5. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

my experience of training is with Cavs border collie, Rottwieler,Leonberger(i did obedience and agility with my first one) GSD, Labs Golden retrievers, Spanials and ages ago tracking with bloodhounds and xbreeds i'm now trying to train a chi who is so clever but very stubbon and will way up if its worth him doing it or not

6. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Well slightly unfair as I am a qualified trainer so I do have experience with most breeds, I did (I no longer give training classes) try and point people in other trainers directions with more experience of a certain breed if I felt they could offer more but otherwise I'd happily try anything once!!

In my opinion the easiest dogs to train I found were Newfoundlands (had 2 and what easy sweet dogs they are...as long as you have food!), GSD ..come one they are almost so easy it's a sin! Collies..if and a big IF they are given enough mental and physical stimulation then they are simple as to do basic training with, so much so they learn quicker than you can teach!!

Staffies and staffie crosses I've always either found extreamly intelligent and so determinded to please, or stubborn as hell and like a brick wall to get through to!!

And from personal experience I'd say my Poodle Cross Sidney has been one of the easist most pleasant dogs to work with, his level of intelligence shocked me but he's not easy to live with, he has extreamly high energy levels and is very demanding (but I adore him so I don't care!!).

Obviously all the dogs have the capacity of learning and enjoying their training, it's all down to the person at the other end of the lead...and if you ask me the hardest thing to train is a human!! Give me dogs anyway!!:D

7. barneythore

barneythore PetForums Senior

hi rona at the minute im trying to train my ess if you could give any tips it would be most appreciated

8. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

As I have said on numerous occasions, what works for one dog may not work for another and NEVER use training aids such as rattle cans, without professional supervision.

I have worked with many trainers and each employ their own methods. Some are quick to down cry others, each thinking theirs is the 'best'.

I find this annoying, since to my mind, they are narrow minded and unwilling in some cases, to embrace other methods. A real shame since all should be working for the good of the dog!

9. barneythore

barneythore PetForums Senior

or jsr if you have any tips:D

10. rona

rona Guest

Sorry there are far more experience people here to give you advice, I am not experienced enough, and have only trained one dog to any great level.
    If you put down a specific question or two, I'm sure others on here will be only too pleased to help, and if I feel I can, you may get the odd post from me :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice