Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Training ? Do you follow

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sallyanne, Jul 19, 2009.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Do you follow any particular training programme with your dogs ?

I just train my own way,I don't do the Dominance theory and believe the word is very overused for a poorly trained dog.
    My dogs are allowed on the sofa but only when we call them up,they go out through the back door before us etc. We train using positive methods,praise,reward ignore the unwanted behaviour etc.

My breed can be stubborn and head strong,yet I have never felt the need to use heavy handed training methods with them,just consistant training.

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

No not really when we got Buster we used a lot of Victoria Stillwell's methods from the book which worked great most of the time. But we quickly learned which ones didn't work on the dogs and used different methods where we needed to. I've never used doimance theory to train a dog in my mind its just an excuse for any behaviour a dog does. I was told quite confidently yesterday that a dog eating its own dropping was them exerting their dominance as is dogs leaning on you...

#2 Nicky09, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I train by trial and error. I see what works and what doesn't. I don't follow any particular training programme :)

4. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Im the same as you just gotta be consistant with training, if they get a treat i always make them do something positive before giving them one.

5. rona

rona Guest

I think you have to assess the dog and choose a training regime to suit

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Good point! The training programme for a pup to a damaged/nervous rescue dog will be completely different.

I am my dogs pack leader. I have had 5 dogs at home this week, my three, a bull dog and a rottie. Without clear leadership from me, the house would be manic.

The way you manage one or two dogs (especially ones without issues) is totally different to a pack rescue dogs. :)

7. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

the op was just asking what different things we do. Training wise.

8. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

and I replied, in that I use the pack leader approach and the justification for it. :)

9. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

I never followed a programm ....

I used and use mainly positive training methods with treats as reward.
    Owning also a guarding and strong headed breed u need to be very consistant and have a strong leadership. He will push and push and we just need to stay on top of him not giving in.

I also use the half check collar as a training method but only check and release, the dogs never strangled while wearing them. Occasionally i use the help of a halti too but only because of cobis size and his power and this gives me that little bit more control if needed. But both is used combined with treats and reward. :)

I also let my dogs walk through doors first, they come up on the sofa (i was against it first but then i like to cuddle) when invited, they eat before me and so on... but they respect me and we have some rules like when coming back from a walk dogs sit outside until asked to come in .... they also always have to do something before getting anything from me, be it toy or treat :)

10. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

We went with the praise the good ignore the bad and turns out we can't ignore the bad as it doesn't work for him, he needs correcting, but sometimes does it for attention, its a very fine line!

11. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I don't follow a particular regime, just reward them when they get it right, and fortunately, that reward is usually associated with what I want them to do, I don't have to bribe them with food.

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

With Alfie i have only ever used positive methods . He's too nervous and anxious to do otherwise. I think he'd be extremely fearful if i were to ever correct his behaviour.

Oscar has been a combination. I tried reward only for about 8 months, and he just walked all over me as doing what he wanted to do, was far more rewarding than a treat or praise.
    He very much weights up the pros and cons of what he is doing, and what he gets out of it. Running off, pulling, chasing the cats and rabbits etc etc, are far more exciting and rewarding that anything i had to offer praise wise. Without some discipline, i think he'd have been a nightmare.

13. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have read loads of books and watched loads of prigrams and none of them covered everything the way I wanted, so I took bits and bobs from different places, from advice etc.

I have only ever used positive reinforcement, and consistency.

x

14. I use clicker training on Holly. And i find it works very well. Shes quick to learn and eager to please. Ive now started whistle training also. We do some kind of training everyday to keep her mind busy and working. I want to try tracking with her but im not sure how well Rottweilers do at this but im sure ill find out soon.
    Training is never a negative experience. I always use reward based training. If she does something i dont want her to do i just completly ignore it and reward with a click and treat as soon as she does what i want

15. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

I think the trouble with most of the many different training methods is that few trainers look on dogs as individuals. You have to use the methods that work best for you and your dog.

I don't personally believe in correction chains or the bullying methods favoured by some who follow the dominance theory.

I am always lavish with praise but don't use a lot of food rewards. I talk a lot to my dogs.

I usually train a puppy to do the basics off lead in the house and garden. Toilet training and recall come first. A new puppy wants to be with you and will mostly come when you call for food or a pat or just a generous amount of praise. I never teach recall on lead. The pup comes because it wants to be with you and this lesson remains for the rest of it's life. Even my Deerhounds were close to perfect on recall because they were taught this way.

Sit, drop, stand and stay are also taught off lead. By this time the pup has completed it's course of 1st vaccinations and can go out walking in public. It's already learnt basic lead training in the garden so this is no problem.

I never put any pressure on the pup and they learn through play and at their own speed but mostly by 4 months or so they know the basics.

I try and make a game out of everything with a pup. Even their first bath. I usually put a couple of inches of water in the human bath along with some toys. This way the pup can play and get used to the water while I gently wet him/her. If the first experience is a good one you will never have a problem bathing your dog in the future.

With adult dogs it can be a lot more difficult of course and each individual must be handled differently.

My dogs sleep on the bed and are allowed on the furniture. They all have great temperaments and are fantastic with children and other animals. I'm pack boss but not because I alpha roll or dominate my dogs, 'cause I don't. I think they respect me as law giver, food provider and the one who supplies the toys and walkies. I also respect them. When it all boils down we are all just good friends.:)

16. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i do my own thing all positive tho,but sometimes they can be a bit naughty:devil: but thats my fault i only teach them the basic stuff but in saying that i have 7 dogs & theyre very easy to live with & they get along with each other very happily:) my dogs are my friends & i would never use the harsh dominating methods of training on them

17. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I am trained as a Clicker trainer so that's my usual first port of call (cos I'm lazy and it's easy for me to use and alot of dogs respond positively to it!!). If not I then I will research and work with whatever the dog finds stimulating. For example my JRT responds to working dog training so I use that (I'm still learning how to do it properly but it's going well so far with the help of a working dog handler friend of mine!)

I never see a dog as having a problem, I see the humans around it not being able to communicate properly. Even if someone came to one of my classes specifically to learn clicker, but the dog didn't respond to it, I would guide them to whatever method I think suits the dog better, that might mean a loss of client but that's not important to me.

My dogs are trained in a variety of methods because they are all different and what works for one doesn't work for the other. Sidney is so toy orientated I just have to look at the toy box and he will do whatever command I ask, he knows he'll get a toy so that's all it takes with him!! Tiz on the other hand is such a stubborn witch that unless I have treats on me she won't do a thing!!! She can smell lack of treats a mile off and just turns her nose up and behaves like a madam!!!:rolleyes: She is the only one of mine who I do have to really raise my voice and be very stern with, I've learnt if I don't she will ignore my requests and sometimes I cannot allow that to happen.

With Sidney I never once have had to speak in anything but a talking voice, I found 2 years ago he had become stock unfriendly (long story) and enlisted the help of another trainer because I felt out of my depth with it. He took Sidney off me and said 'you've never shouted at this dog have you?' I said 'no because he's always been a dream to train and I've never lost my temper with him'. He took him into the field with the chickens (it was easier to use chickens rather than sheep...my theory chickens could get away if Sidney did go nuts!!) anyway he literally walked him by the chickens and the moment Sidney turned his head to look at them the trainer just yelled 'NO' very sharp and loud. I swear to god from that day to this Sidney will not even look in the area of any stock!! I can walk him off lead through a field full of lambs (I could but I don't obviously!!) and he wouldn't even move!! My house has lambs and sheep directly behind the garden and he used to sit upstairs staring at them and now he doesn't even blink when they run passed the window!! So yes it was negitive training but it worked and quiet possibly saved his life, so worth it!!!

#17 JSR, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice