Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Training blip today

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Mum2Heidi, May 5, 2010.

1. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Laughable now but at the time I was not amused!!

Tackled the front garden today and Heidi sat in the doorway initially just watching but came with me when I went to unload some weeds. It's a communal area and I was afraid she would run after the neighbours cat and come back wearing the cat flap again so put her indoors.

I pulled up lots of dried grass and took it into the back garden for nesting material for the aviary birds. I got in the door and Tigger the cat was urging so I tried to get him out. Heidi took chase and they were upstairs, downstairs and me like a numpty with handfuls of grass totally helpless. I dumped the grass and took chase. Eventually getting Tigger out the front door. Heidi darted into the back garden so I grabbed her, told her off, tapped her bottom and put her in her cage. It was then I saw all the dried grass scattered around the house.:eek:

I knew I had done wrong using the cage as punishment, shouting, chasing and lightly smacking but blow me she was like a little lamb afterwards and made all my distraction efforts with the cats seem pointless.

Now I'm confused and wonder if perhaps being a bit firmer would work better than distraction but not sure if I want it to.
    Input please :D

2. Daggre

Daggre PetForums Member

We used to put our dog in the cage when she misbehaved, she loves her cage and will walk in there to sleep. Personally, I know it wan't the best thing to do, but we've never had a dog before, and sometimes you just get angry which is bad. I'd rather put her in her cage then completely flip, and start shouting etc, it gives everybody time to clam down.

As for stopping her chasing cats I think the best way would be to find a cat to practise with. maybe you could put it in a pet carrier and have your dog in the room, every time heidi goes near/looks at the cat say 'leave' firmly, and reward when she turns away. I'm not an expert though... *waits to see how to best tackle this*

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Thank you :D
    I smiled at what you said because altho I did use her cage as punishment in my eyes, I have always made it a nice place to be and at the mo she is sleeping in it - voluntarily.

Immediately afterwards I called her to me, gave her treats, sent her back in her cage and repeated this a few times. To try and soften the blow.

We have 2 cats, one stands its ground and the other runs. If I distract her with her squeaky ball, she will play with that and leave the cats alone but it means I have to be on top of the situation all the time. Likewise, she will "leave" as well. But if she spots a loophole, she's got it!!

Also having the teenage episodes at the mo which isnt helping.
    Thankfully we are still friends and tomorrow is another day :thumbup:

4. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Just writing a blog post on dog-cat relations at the mo (coinky-dink) so will post a link when its up ;)

5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Not recommended!!!!!

You might get the dog to behave around a cat in a carrier, but not around a cat OUSIDE a carrier.

Much more importantly you'd very likely terrify the poor cat, even if it were dog-friendly. Not in the interests of either animals' welfare.

I don't know where you got the idea from but it does remind me of one of Cesar Millan's techniques which looked great on screen in the USA but would probably constitute animal abuse in the UK if copied here.

6. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Here's a link to a post on introducing dogs and cats - as it says several times throughout the post common sense and supervision is essential throughout and sometimes for life :)
    Living like cats & dogs « pawsitive dogs

7. Daggre

Daggre PetForums Member

Like I said I'm not an expert xD Listen to tripod ^^

8. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Good blog post Tripod and brilliant advice! :thumbup:

9. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Thanks Caroline and Daggre :)

10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Thanks Tripod - have saved that as my bible for the timebeing :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice