Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Training a lurcher

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks and Games' started by MelsMurphy, Sep 12, 2016.

1. MelsMurphy

MelsMurphy PetForums Newbie

Hello all
    I have a 4 month old lurcher and I am having some issues which I need help with.
    We live in a pub and Murphy is a lovely dog loves people and other dogs but is over excited to the point he just up on people and jumps all over the dogs. When he jumps up I tell him down and ask the guest to not give him attention when he dose that but they respond with its OK I don't mind which is highly annoying.
    When we are out he pays no attention to me even when I have treats and a clicker and he bolts I do praise him when he comes back and give him treats what can just do.
    He also barks at other dogs to play it's not aggressive but it's unsettling to other dog users.
    What can I do all help welcome.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You really need to keep him on a lead when you're walking him, ideally a long training line.

He is only a pup and has shown you he won't recall.

Also, at home, if you leave a short lead on him, you can remove him if he's jumping all over your visitors. Put him in another room until he's calmer, or sit him next to you whilst you're chatting to your guests.

He will calm down as he grows older, but you can't allow him to practise this behaviour at the moment.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

can you pop him behind a baby gate to give him a time out when he goes bonkers greeting people ?
    Are u learning him the commands in the house where there is no
    Distractions?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. MelsMurphy

Thank you for that I will get a long line for walking and the advise on the the jumping up we are trying our best to get him out of the bad habits by rewarding when he Good and we are going to puppy classes to hope that helps us on ways to help him jnderstand.

Laney_Lemons likes this.
  5. MelsMurphy

Unforcently we can't when he too much he get taken away from the situation. And we do a lot of training at home he got sit. Down stay wait but recall is an issue and when there distraction it feels there no hope sometimes

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If using a long line, make sure it's attached to a harness not a collar.

If you are letting him into the pub with lots of people around it will be very hard for him to stay calm. I would limit his interactions with people and other dogs for less busy places and times so he has a chance of keeping calm enough to learn to be steady and not jump up etc.

Other people ime tend to ignore owners of pups/dogs because they don't seem to understand how to train and that they are making it harder for the pup/dog (and you). If that's the case, I would reduce those times, work on his behaviour and once he has calmed down introduce him to people/dogs when he isn't going to practise the unwanted behaviour.

Lurchers are often very independent/aloof so you need to be the most exciting thing on the planet and be several steps ahead of him where distractions are concerned. Once he spots something it's almost too late tbh. You need to spot it first and get his attention before he reacts.

Keep him on harness and long line so he doesn't practise ignoring you.

Baskervillle likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice