Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Training a Dog to Sleep on their Bed

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Emlar, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Bit of a random one. Trying to teach a 'go to bed' with Rufus, which is going well. But he won't stay on his bed. Do other peoples dogs who sleep in dog beds do it naturally? Or do you train them thats where they should sleep? Thanks!

2. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

My Yorkie did it instantly at training as sitting on a comfortable bed instead of the floor was what she wanted to do anyway! My Lhasa/poodle didn’t see the point so it took him longer to do it. I had to show a ‘stay’ hand signal to keep him on whilst for my Yorkie getting her to come off it was more of an issue.

3. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Fab, thank you. Will try and get him to hold a stay on there until he decides it might be a good place to be. He much prefers the floor or the sofa! Be good for him to have a bed that is his.

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

He's a collie so much prefers your bed or the sofa.....LOL
    Seriously what type of bed has he got? My collies have 'sofa' type beds with a thick cushion with a removable cover, which is covered by a fleece blanket. I've never had to teach any of them to use the beds.

Magyarmum likes this.
  5. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Ha, is it a collie thing?! We've tried a couple of different beds but he's not really taken to any of them. So I've just ordered him a raised type one. I think he gets too hot sometimes which is why he likes the floor.

6. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

It's something I've never even thought of training my dogs to do. Mine are allowed free run of the house and during the day they'll be in whichever room I'm in, either snoozing on the floor or on an armchair or the sofa. At bedtime they both troupe after me and settle down on their beds in the bedroom, although Grisha very often ends up sleeping on the bed next to me..

7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Well given the choice mine would definitely pick my bed or sofa/chairs. Mine also lay on the cool tiles in the kitchen in hot weather but snuggle down in their beds in the kitchen in the Winter.

8. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

He is currently very suspicious of this new thing that has appeared in the lounge and is only willing to put his front two paws on it so far.... :rolleyes:

9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

That made me laugh. Collies are so manipulative.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice