UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Trained dog won’t stop going in the house

539 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Rh3a 
#1 ·
Hi, so I have two dogs Maltese cross Shitzu 8 years old and Shitzu 7 years old. We had them both from Puppies and we toilet trained and over the years they’ve had the occasional indoor accidents but nothing compared to the last 2 years. 2 years ago they started urinating indoors frequently not long after the issues started my grandfather passed (he lived next door to us and we had a gate on the back garden so our dogs were there pretty much all the time the loved my Grandpa), my mum got a new carpet just over a year ago and so they were no longer allowed in the livingroom due to the issue and over the last few months they have been doing it pretty much every night we put a camera in the kitchen where they sleep and it’s mainly our eldest dog. We make him go out at night (around 12-1 am) and then my mum lets them out in the morning about 6 am and often then not he’s gone on the floor. My worry is I leave for Uni in September and my mum has a shorter fuse with them and I’m at a loss what to do I feel bad as they have gone from having the roam of two house dusk til dawn to only having the out house and getting let out regularly as when they had the door open during the day and the gate to the kitchen open he was going in the house.

Could it be a health problem? We put it down to grief at first but it’s been two years surely he must have adapted and like I said it’s our eldest not our youngest he’s not really an issue he just keeps trying to eat out of our kitchen bin so we’ve had to put a child lock on it. He is fed enough dw the vets actually said last time we took him if he was a person he’d have a six pack.

I don’t know if this makes a difference the eldest (the one we’re having a problem with) is nurtured and the younger isn’t.

See less See more
#2 ·
Tbh it sounds like rather than actually fully toilet trained, they had free access to inside and outside and could toilet when they liked.

Having free access doesn’t train the bladder or bowel or get the dog into a routine. They won’t understand the distinction between inside and outside.

Go right back to basic puppy toilet training and keep the door shut in between toilet trips (obviously it’s winter so you would anyway at the moment).

Ensure any soiled areas are cleaned thoroughly with a biological solution, well rinsed and dried.

I’d also suggest getting a vet check to ensure no health issues causing or exacerbating the problem.

#3 ·
Tbh it sounds like rather than actually fully toilet trained, they had free access to inside and outside and could toilet when they liked.

Having free access doesn't train the bladder or bowel or get the dog into a routine. They won't understand the distinction between inside and outside.

Go right back to basic puppy toilet training and keep the door shut in between toilet trips (obviously it's winter so you would anyway at the moment).

Ensure any soiled areas are cleaned thoroughly with a biological solution, well rinsed and dried.

I'd also suggest getting a vet check to ensure no health issues causing or exacerbating the problem.
I'll get us to try it. Do you have any idea how much the vet bill will roughly cost to get a check up. We don't have insurance for them and my mum won't take them to the vets because she's scared something will be wrong and we'll have to put him down and there the last thing we really have of my grandparents so I'd have to pay for it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.