Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tradesmen..

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by harley bear, Feb 10, 2012.

1. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

I was having a google last night and also a look through my local paper to find a plasterer..found one in my local paper and although it had just gone 8pm i thought id give him a call and see if he was able to book me in for a quote. Wish id never bothered never been spoken to so rudely considering he could have got some work out of my call..he said..'its late love, im at the pub and have no paper so call me tomorrow'. Well im sorry if your in the pub and do not wish to take work related calls then there is a little button the phone that switches it off :rolleyes:

So decided to have a look on rated people and soooo glad i did! Got a call of a guy within literally 5 minutes of adding the job on, hes been round this morning and is so lovely he told me that he will wither come tomorrow or tuesday to complete the work and he would move all furniture because he doesnt want me hurting the baby.
    I have looked at his reviews on rated people and they are all 5* reviews ..told my oh that if he does a good job of the bedroom then we will have him do the rest of the house as and when we can afford it.

Got a good mind to ring the guy from last night and tell him to stick his quote :D

2. harrys_mum

harrys_mum PetForums VIP

good for you,
    its a good job the other bloke was rude cos it sounds like you got the right person you can trust.
    michelle x

3. harley bear

Im over the moon tbh i thought he was goint to quote us upto about £200 and i would have had to have turned him down.
    The only problem i have now is that i have to tell the guy whos been dragging his heals that i no longer need him...and also the wall he has already done looks hidious :eek:

4. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

whats rude about telling you he was at the pub and to call tomorrow ? like he said he didnt have paper ie his booking pad diary etc to schedule it and he was prolly half pissed and he was off work lol prolly had a hard day :)

5. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I expect your number came up on his phone, so a simple "Can I ring you back tomorrow" would have been much more polite. As you say, if he doesn't want to be disturbed in the pub he should turn the phone off.

I did however once get woken up at 8 am on Sunday morning by the phone ringing. I staggered out of bed and some bloke says: "Is that the driving school?" "Not at 8 o'clock on Sunday morning it isn't. Can you ring back later".

I thought that was a bit of a cheek to be honest. You shouldn't be phoning at that time on a Sunday.

6. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

why should he turn his phone off lol it was way after hours no one expects a customer to call at 8pm thats rude in itself imo. and he may have family and well friends that may need to call , the words he used like "love" dont sound like he was been rude at all, just unprepared and why should he be, he's at the pub in his own time.

Paganman likes this.
  7. gorgeous

gorgeous PetForums VIP

I have to say I agree with Waterlily. He seemed perfectly reasonable to me.....having a drink after a hard days graft.

A good plasterer is worth their weight in gold - and IMO can make all the difference to the look of your home.

Anyhow seems like hb has found a good un - just becareful that the reviews were not written by him and he is actually rubbish lol

maybe the one down the pub might be worth calling back - he might be xtra good with lots of work and able to get peed down the pub - not many of us can now you know lol

#7 gorgeous, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  8. harley bear

No he was down right rude on the phone.
    When my oh worked for himself if he didnt want to speak to customers then his phone was off..if hes gonna leave his phone on then he should be prepared to be polite to his potentiol customers reguardless of when they call ..its basic customer service im afraid.

He could have said 'Im sorry but i havent got my diary with me at the monent, would it be possible for you to call back tomorrow morning..or maybe i can call you when your free?'

NOT

'Im in the pub call me tomorrow'

9. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

Glad you sorted a plasterer out :)

10. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

They're not really renowned for their customer relation skills which is why I am so glad to be being a tradesman myself this summer and seeing if I can make a go of my own business as I am essentially from a customer service background and now work in a very technical role but sorting out customer issues which I pride myself on. Can't wait to get out of the office environment :D :D

11. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

While i agree there's no need for rudeness (though the words he used in themselves were not rude, maybe his tone of voice was but as i cant hear that bit can't comment in fairness) not many people would necessarily expect a work related call after a certain time of the day ie. 6pm, unless they're tradesman who do 'outside hours' service calls. Most people dont have 2 mobiles (1 work, 1 private) so shouldnt be expected to turn the phone off once the working day is finished as they still want to contactable to family/friends.

Perhaps he thought you could have waited and call in the morning :)

Consideration and fairness work both ways.

12. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Phone your doctor or your MP at 8 oclock when they're in the pub and see what sort of answer you get.

13. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

If i phoned the Dr's, i'd expect to get transferred to an out sourced medi centre, that deals with out of hours medical emergencies (presuming it's not worthy of A & E) and i never had any dealing with my MP, so no idea what to expect there but again presuming its some sort of emergency, im sure he'd be quiet helpful. Neither of which i would expect to be rude, regardless of time or situation and besides, these people kinda expect out of hours calls.

14. harley bear

Reguardless of what time it was..it wasnt a ridiculous hour like 10pm or 6am there was no need for him to be rude. In the current climate with hundreds of small business going bust every year you would think he would have been more than happy to take my call ..i mean for all he knew the job could have been worth a good couple of grand.

My oh was always polite and helpful to all his customers reguardless of what time they called him..(one was actually at about 6am) he always went out of his way to help ..even just give advice at no cost. But then again he was never stupid enough to risk loosing a potential customer :rolleyes:

I have spoken to the guy who is coming tomorrow again and he has asked me if i would like numbers of his previous customers before he starts to make sure im happy for him to go ahead with the work..he as also asked me if i wouldnt mind writing a review once the work has been carried out.

15. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

To me any time after 5pm or 6pm is to late to be calling people to ask about appointments or quotes. Thats dinner time, family time or even closing time for most places.

16. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

I would expect that work phones would be turned off with a answer message if they didn't want calls.

I get the other way around.... Have a fabulous, amazing, reasonable handyman... But he ALWAYS rings at about 9.30pm at night, he's woken me up on occasions as we are early risers and early to bed :001_tongue:

I have asked him not to ring after 8pm ;)

However, in saying that he has sorted a leaking roof, made a new gate when our old gate blew away in the gales, put a new roof on one of my chicken runs and his next task is my en-suite bathroom... Finding him was amazing, he's so trustworthy and nice.... Just rings too late :rolleyes:

17. retepwaker

retepwaker PetForums Member

the beast way to find a reliable tradesman is to ask your friend that have had a similar job dun how they would recommend and perhaps go and see the work that has been dun, don't rush into finding a worker

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice