Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tracking Device for a Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kscotland, May 25, 2010.

1. kscotland

kscotland PetForums Newbie

Hi, my parents have a Westie which went travelling last week, thankfully it came back after 5 hours, but my parents were totally horrified during this period. A big worry was that it was stolen or wandered off and couldn't find its way home. They live on a farm, they have had the dog for 4 years and it never did this type of thing before. I was wondering if anyone knows about good tracking devices that can be used on a dog, one that is effective and could give them a piece of mind. I would want one that would be able to let the dog wander for any distance etc and one that could work regardless of mobile signal. Does anyone have any advise?

2. brackenhwv

brackenhwv PetForums Senior

#2 brackenhwv, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
  3. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

4. hawksport

hawksport Banned

The deben ones are only for locating terriers underground so you can dig to them. All of the gps one rely on a mobile signal to send the dogs location to you. The only other option is telemetry and that cost around £500, will have limited range at ground level and requires a lot of practice to be able to use it properly. All three options are no help if a dog is stolen and the collar is removed.

#4 hawksport, May 26, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  5. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

When i get my dog, i would consider getting one of these tracking devices, they are a good idea :D

6. DogGuy4

DogGuy4 PetForums Newbie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice