Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toys help

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ad_1980, Jul 11, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Hey guys.

Now god u must think i've never owned dogs in my life but i have lol

Anyway I thought this was a phase Mika was going through but clearly i think its not and i don't know how to train him out of it so help me please.

Ok, Mika loves playing with his toys and whenever i throw them he brings them back to me - if i'm honest probably 70% of the time. LOL

Now when he does bring them back he drops them beside me but when i go to pick it up he snatches it back. Why would he do that if he is bringing it back to me?

My dad thinks its because he thinks its his toy - whats really stupid is my dad doesn't teach nor tell me how to teach him differently.

Any ideas please? I had thought of taking his toys away if he doesn't play properly but as he's a 7 month old pup i feel if i take his toys away he'll act up and wreck the place by chewing carpets and god knows what.

Advice? Thanks :)

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

He needs to be taught the leave command, when he drops the toy hold out your hand palm facing him and say leave in a kind but stern voice with the other hand pick up the toy still showing the other hand as you do then when he has let you pick up the toy praise and treat him.

3. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I did that ages ago with him but then i stopped because i wanted him to learn without being treated with a treat! Has he learnt - NO!

He knows the command leave - he just stupidly thinks if i repeat it 3 or 4 times i mean it.

I thought poodles were smart - i clearly have the wrong dog!

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

When he drops the toy, ask him to sit. Then tell him to wait.
    If he gets up, tell him again. If it is next to your foot, can you put your foot on the toy and then go to pick it up as long as he is sitting waiting.
    His reward should be having the toy thrown again.

x

5. Jacinth

Jacinth PetForums Junior

My 4 month old puppy does this and it really frustrates me. Lately, I just walk off if he does it and he has now started to respond to the 'give' command, because it means he doesn't get to play with me.

6. Savahl

Savahl Guest

i would say if he hasnt learnt Leave without the treat, continue with the treat for longer. Then when it is a solid command with treats, start treating most but not all (so 1/4 he will get lots of praise instead of a treat) and very gradually wean the treats out and hopefully this will get the behaviour set in solidly rather than going cold turkey where he probably doesnt understand the command properly and has no insentive to learn :)

Also dont stand for asking several times. If your playing and you ask him to leave just ask once. If he doesnt drop it, dont react. no treat, no game. then if he drops and leaves it a short time afterwards reward and commence the game again.
    Buster used to do this as a game, like "chicken" with the toy. By removing the fun bit (i,e him taking the toy waway and me trying to get it off him) he soon got bored of it!

#6 Savahl, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice